The Student Room Group
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

Why doesn't that many people go to the University of Buckingham???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
blatant advertisers
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Not many go because it's a bit rubbish. Academically good but everything else, literally everything else you can think of, it's rubbish. I cannot wait for it to be over.
Reply 22
Original post by Disgrace
Not many go because it's a bit rubbish. Academically good but everything else, literally everything else you can think of, it's rubbish. I cannot wait for it to be over.

Mind telling us why so?
Reply 23

Yeah can we have some further insight plz? :smile:

Also what are you studying and what is so bad

was thinking applying as it looks like a really good uni as far as teaching goes but it looks really boring from what i've heard and seen
Reply 24
Because it's a hilariously terrible university despite the carefully whitewashed prospectus.
Reply 25
Original post by cognitio
Outside of Oxbridge, the University of Buckingham is probably the only university that teaches the tutorial style method e.g small groups of 4-6 students. It is a very different learning experience to a state funded university. As from choice it is independent of government and therefore receives no state subsidies, therefore its fees are higher. A degree can be completed in two years as they teach four 10 week terms per year.
Do not confuse this university with Bucks New University they are different institutions.

Garbage. UCL and various other institutions have regular tutorials.
Reply 26
You have got it right. This university does not offer a "university experience" as you'd know and expect as there is hardly any nightlife in the town.

There is one club, but as they're the only ones they can get away with horrible service. The student union is likewise a big joke, even if it is cheap, as the dance floor at night is the university cafeteria by the day and you have to pay to get in. Paying to dance in a canteen just makes me laugh. There was an "events manager" but he was recently sacked, probably because he only went out to get with the students. He was also a joke as he hyped up terribad events.

The entire town, even the church, is owned by the university. There is simply no variety in scene. I visited my housemates hometown last weekend and we were shocked by how much fun we were having. All of my happy memories from my university time have all been in fact outside university. It's a bit sad really.

It's us, kids at the local Latin school, or old people. The university is currently buying so much private housing to keep up with the demand (only 1000+ students after all, so it won't take much to increase it) that I doubt they can keep up with student demands. I have a friend who moved into such a house via the university and still has no internet... five weeks into term.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27

As they already know each other, they hang out amongst themselves so, as a white, I feel like I'm the foreigner. But then apparently this is England.

:teehee:

Despite all this, though, academically it is actually properly good. The lecturers are top notch and tutorials work as they say they do.

This is what I'm interested about really! Please do expend. How is it good; tutorials, lectures, etc.

Do they provide good consultation hours, good support tutorial, are the tutorials helpful, do these lectures read slide (which is not helpful of course), etc

Owh and about the other things you've mentioned :hugs:
Reply 28
Original post by kka25

This is what I'm interested about really! Please do expend. How is it good; tutorials, lectures, etc.

Do they provide good consultation hours, good support tutorial, are the tutorials helpful, do these lectures read slide (which is not helpful of course), etc

Owh and about the other things you've mentioned :hugs:

Well, the tutorial is the consultation. Lectures are the same everywhere where one guy blabbers away and you take notes. Tutorials, at least I've found in my department (international studies and economics), tend to be one-hour open discussions. Language department tutorials tend to be the same as the lectures but by default they're far more open than any humanities lecture. The subject of the tutorials are usually always student-driven so it's up to us to prepare, so it's very useful. Otherwise, no point in turning up.

Only one lecturer I've had read his slides directly, but then it was basic introductory stuff so he was probably bored out of his skull. Most have their own notes with slides on the smartboard as well for our benefit. One guy I've got this term, John Clarke, is a genius so he doesn't need any notes or slides whatsoever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Well, the tutorial is the consultation. Lectures are the same everywhere where one guy blabbers away and you take notes. Tutorials, at least I've found in my department (international studies and economics), tend to be one-hour open discussions. Language department tutorials tend to be the same as the lectures but by default they're far more open than any humanities lecture. The subject of the tutorials are usually always student-driven so it's up to us to prepare, so it's very useful. Otherwise, no point in turning up.

Only one lecturer I've had read his slides directly, but then it was basic introductory stuff so he was probably bored out of his skull. Most have their own notes with slides on the smartboard as well for our benefit. One guy I've got this term, John Clarke, is a genius so he doesn't need any notes or slides whatsoever.

Who conducts the tutorials? The lecturer or a PhD student?
Reply 30
Original post by kka25
Who conducts the tutorials? The lecturer or a PhD student?

Lecturer.
Reply 31
Lecturer.

Ah. Than that would be fantastic. Thanks for the input :smile:
Reply 32
Well I presume not many people go there because they don't take that many students. Quite logical.

They only have 856 undergraduates. Compared to eg. 17 355 (Birmingham) or 27 310 (Manchester). How many people attend a particular university gives no indication whatsoever of its quality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello guys does anyone know about the MD General Internal Medicine in Buckingham university. Is the 2 year MD programme valid in India. What are the opportunities in UK after the course. Thank you.
Hello guys does anyone know about the MD General Internal Medicine in Buckingham university. Is the 2 year MD programme valid in India. What are the opportunities in UK after the course. Thank you.
If you're thinking about applying to the University of Buckingham why don't you come and visit us? We've got some open days coming up and if those don't cover the subject you're interested in, you can arrange a personal tour: http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/admissions/open-days/.

In addition to all the comments above about small group teaching and great graduate employment, our degrees run over two years (so no long summer vacation). It's exactly the same content as a three year course though.
Original post by Nikhilesh99

I think you'll find the answers you need on this page on our website: http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/medicine/postgrad/accreditation. You may also like to get in touch with our academic and service partner in India, Professor Piyush Prasad. His contact details can be found here: http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/medicine/postgrad/apply.
Hey guys does anyone know about MD Medicine at Buckingham. Is the 2 year degree valid in India.
Buckingham is a PRIVATE University. Its also condenses degree courses to 2 years - ie. no holidays. This attracts mostly older students who want to cram a degree into a short a time as possible. No 'student experience' possible. Only recommended to the desperate who aren't fussed about academic credibility or hearing 'University of where?' for the rest of their lives. There are far better options available than Buckingham.
Original post by Nikhilesh99
Hey guys does anyone know about MD Medicine at Buckingham. Is the 2 year degree valid in India.

University of Buckingham degrees carry the same recognition internationally as degrees from any UK university.

The University of Buckingham MD in General Internal Medicine is recognised by the MCI as a valid postgraduate qualification in India. On passing the MD at the end of two years, candidates need to submit to the MCI the original MD degree conferred by the University of Buckingham with other relevant paperwork. The MCI will then issue a certificate confirming that they are registering the University of Buckingham MD degree as a valid postgraduate qualification.

If you wish to read more about Government of India recognition by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, p
lease refer to the following websites for information regarding recognition of foreign MD degrees in India. This information was published in the official Gazette on 10 March 2008 and can be reviewed at http://www.rxpgonline.com/article1810.html and http://www.hindu.com/edu/2008/05/05/stories/2008050550150800.htm

Quick Reply