The Student Room Group

Opinions on Navel Piercings?

I've never been overweight but recently I've been going to the gym a lot more and have noticed I'm more toned, particularly in the stomach area.

I was thinking about getting my belly button pierced as a reward for my hard work, as I have wanted one for a while. What do you guys think? Are these outdated/chavvy now or do they look good on the right sort of person?
I know this sounds lame, but if you want one then it's all that matters. You already said you wanted one for a while, I know plenty of people with them and on some people they don't look chavvy (basically as long as you're not a chav).

Treat yourself :h:
if you've got the body i'd say get it :biggrin: it's not really chavy unless you decide to dress like a milly and show it off like one... xD I know plenty of alternative people who get their belly button pierced o.o I fyou want one get it :biggrin:
That's going to be my reward when I reach my goal weight, providing I'm brave enough! So I'd say go for it. They can look really pretty!
Not really the time of year where you'll be wearing clothes that reveal your belly button but if you want it done then go for it :smile: It is only unappealing when some dirty muffin top 16 year old with an orange face has a tacky diamante stud in her naval..ugh.
Reply 5
I think it depends on what you have in your piercing. If you get a diamante dangley charm that says "sexy" then yes, that is chavvy. Look, you can get some really nice ones
I used to want one, until I saw soething on the news about someone who was in a car accident and the bar got sent through her body by her seatbelt, like a bullet. Also seen what my friend's looks like now she's 8 months pregnant! I do think they look nice, only on people with toned stomachs though :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by rachelkeira

I used to want one, until I saw soething on the news about someone who was in a car accident and the bar got sent through her body by her seatbelt, like a bullet. Also seen what my friend's looks like now she's 8 months pregnant! I do think they look nice, only on people with toned stomachs though :smile:

I read a newspaper article like that. It then said the girl had to have her intestines taken out.

Newspapers get things wrong and exaggerate.
Go for it - know the consequences of having one though, the positives and the negatives. :smile:
Original post by Juno
I read a newspaper article like that. It then said the girl had to have her intestines taken out.

Newspapers get things wrong and exaggerate.

Still scared me! This is the story, I think: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7020936.stm
Reply 10

Still scared me! This is the story, I think: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7020936.stm

Yeah, but look

That's the Sun though, I trust the BBC as a news source, think I originally read it in the Times, either way, I won't be getting mine pierced anytime in the near future!
Original post by Sobriquet_
I've never been overweight but recently I've been going to the gym a lot more and have noticed I'm more toned, particularly in the stomach area.

I was thinking about getting my belly button pierced as a reward for my hard work, as I have wanted one for a while. What do you guys think? Are these outdated/chavvy now or do they look good on the right sort of person?

if you want one, you get it done,

Personally i dont like them and they seem to be dieing off these days but itws your body so go for it
Reply 13
I have recently got mine done and I have regretted it a bit so you got to make sure you really really want it before done, as it can scar if you decide you don't like it and take it out. If you want to get it done though I say go for it! Just don't have a really chavvy bar like the playboy symbol :|
Reply 14
I got mine done a while ago and really like it. I like how its mine and sometimes I can be wearing a really nice one and noone else will know (I hope you know what I mean because I dont think that sentance made sense) and you only show others if you want to. You can buy some really really nice ones (but also tacky ones so be careful) and if at a later date you dont want it anymore you can take it out, 90% of times it will leave no sign of the piercing that was there (but there is a chance it could scar slightly). I really like navel peircings

so I'd say if youve thought about it and really do want it, have done your research and know the risks and still want it and have found a trusted place to get it done, then go for it :biggrin:
I have 2 navel piercings - standard and inverse. I personally think they look attractive, provided the jewellery in them is quite subtle. I've just got plain titanium bars in mine with just clear crystals and it's nice. Like others have said, a belly piercing in itself won't make you look chavvy it's how you come across in general.

They can be a pain in the rear to heal sometimes though. You are looking at 6-12 months before you can start changing the jewellery. They can suffer from migration, rejection, granulomas and other bumps which don't always look pleasant until everything is fulled healed.

I think if you want one then go for it and treat yourself, if you end up not liking it, it's easy enough to take out. Just look around for a reputable piercer - letting someone who isn't fully trained and who isn't working in a sterile environment stick you with a needle isn't the best idea in the world. Also always get pierced with titanium, not surgical steel as it still has quite a high nickle content which you could have an allergic reaction to.

Any more questions just ask or there is a body mod thread and a lot of people there who have multiple piercings will advise you well. :biggrin:
I'd say get one if you really want one. I've had mine done for years and still like it :smile:
I usually wear just a plain silver bar with a pink or silver stone so quite subtle and don't wear dangly ones or anything.
It doesn't hurt either. They put a numbing spray on and I didn't even feel it going through, when the numbing wears off it's just a bit sore for a few days just make sure you bathe it in salt water or whatever they recommend. Mine has never gone bad in all the time I've had it either.

Quick Reply

Latest