The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Any Politics/Parliamentary Studies current students out there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Interview went really well, had a relatively stern faced irish man, he certainly tries to get you out of your comfort zone, but he was really complimentary at the end and said we hear back within a fortnight. I absolutely loved Leeds, what a fantastic atmosphere.. even if it was -3!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
congrats, well done!
Well done :biggrin: ohhh Im so scared!!
I had the new head of the course. Didn't try to get me out of my comfort zone - was really nice. Apparently we all get asked similar questions so I won't reveal too much :P But I answered all the political knowledge questions, and he apologised for the interview ending early, saying it was less than 20 minutes because my answers were so good (I think I've read too much into that though).

Really hope I get onto the course now, first time seeing Leeds and it's really nice. The course is awesome too.
Reply 64
My interview was only 15minutes too! Rattled through the questions pretty easily and had a good joke at the expense of Ed Milliband with him, which he enjoyed a lot! Good luck to those going today :smile:
Original post by harrisonJT
My interview was only 15minutes too! Rattled through the questions pretty easily and had a good joke at the expense of Ed Milliband with him, which he enjoyed a lot! Good luck to those going today :smile:

I had about 9 hours of driving to get there and back for my interview :P mine lasted 25 minutes in total though, because I asked a lot of questions at the end :smile: don't think I did enough to set myself apart and get the place though.

And I took the piss out of David Cameron and the coalition a bit, too :P Damn, can't wait until everyone has had their interviews so we can talk about this properly!

By the way, take it you were the guy to my left (I was the ginger guy nervously playing with an elastic band :P )
Reply 66
Original post by Maddog Jones
I had about 9 hours of driving to get there and back for my interview :P mine lasted 25 minutes in total though, because I asked a lot of questions at the end :smile: don't think I did enough to set myself apart and get the place though.

And I took the piss out of David Cameron and the coalition a bit, too :P Damn, can't wait until everyone has had their interviews so we can talk about this properly!

By the way, take it you were the guy to my left (I was the ginger guy nervously playing with an elastic band :P )

Haha yesss I was, I was gonna ask if you were the ginger guy but didn't wanna offend you incase you were the indian girl! I had a 2 hour train ride there/back not too bad :smile: My guy looked at me and was like 'i'm really, really impressed..' so I hope that was his hint that I'd done enough but who knows. Yeah they asked me about the coalition! Wonder how Georgiana got on :smile:
Hey guys :biggrin: (for the record my name is actually Georgia, Georgiana is a nickname :P)

I think my interview went well! Had Dr Tim Hepnell, Hepell? Something like that. He was lovely and very complimentary like Harrison said! Told me that one phrase I used he was going to steal to use with his students and another was almost exactly what he tells them about a certain political figure. So I think we 'bonded' :')
Only worry is that I didn't get enough political knowledge in. But then he was impressed with my work experience so I HOPE that makes up for it? Idk. Its not worth worrying now I suppose :smile:

BUT OMG the statistics! 40 interviews for 15 places D: but he told me either way (even if I dont succeed with pps) I'm guaranteed a place on the politics course (whoopwhoop) Anyone else get offered it?

so glad its over ngl!
(edited 12 years ago)
PS interviews go on until next thurs so I wouldnt give too much away on here!
Reply 69
Was he the Irish guy? I think I had him too - he didn't ask me about my placement with an MP, but we spoke a lot about politics and he seemed impressed with my embarrassing level of knowledge of current affairs, I even quoted from PMQT that I watched on the train there, that he hadn't even seen yet.. I felt really geeky! I think we all get offered Politics if we don't get on but he didn't mention that to me :smile:
You didn't have Tim, Harrison - that's the one I had :P and he told me that yeah, everyone who has an interview for PPS already has the offer for politics.
Reply 71
Ah yes I had Stuart :smile:
22nd is the deadline he said they'd start making decisions... I'm in Paris 21st-23rd, hope I have wifi :P
Oh no, we hear from them on the 20th :smile: He told me that thats when we'd hear back.
Original post by Georgiana1605
Oh no, we hear from them on the 20th :smile: He told me that thats when we'd hear back.

Awesome, he just told me around two weeks (on the 8th) so I got 22nd :P 20th is good.

Although to be honest, I don't think I stood out enough in the interview to merit a place in the top 15 of 40 applicants who will all be great - so I've resigned myself to not getting an offer.

I'd definitely put PPS first if I did get one, but if not, I have Sheffield and hopefully by then KCL/UCL to fall back on :P
Reply 75
I've received an offer from Durham which I'd be mad to turn down.. if I get PPS I'll have some serious thinking to do..
Two days left D: decided I'm really not going to get an offer, my interview was fairly average.
I'm so scared! D-Day guys :P

I'm not too confident in my interview either now. Getting PPS means I'll have some serious decision making to do as well :s-smilie:
Damnit, I told myself I wouldn't get excited/scared but I am, even though I know I won't get the offer <_<

Hope to see you all there - the great thing about this course is, he hinted that even if we don't get our grades, we'll be let on (probably because they only have 15 places, almost half could go to other unis, so they could have a whole year wasted if people don't get grades).

Oh, and working in this place for 6 months of course:

us-congress-j001.jpg
harrisonJT
x

Georgiana1605
x

ChrisAdamson
x

samanthakmx
x

ArmoJoe
x