Accountancy Firms - Official Summer 2012 Internship Applications Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thank you Industrious Orca much appreciated
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've been invited for the first stage interview for EY Direct Tax internship but apparently it's a face-to-face interview (I always thought that on the first stage it's via phone). Has anyone else had something like this? Or is it something new?

One more thing - how long does it usually take to get an answer after the interview and (if successful) how long does it take to the AC?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with what things to write for:
    Imagine you are working at PwC. If you could choose an ideal client to advise, who would it be? Your ideal client does not have to be a current client of PwC.
    Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbapu)
    Can anyone help me with what things to write for:
    Imagine you are working at PwC. If you could choose an ideal client to advise, who would it be? Your ideal client does not have to be a current client of PwC.
    Thanks.
    Pick a company.
    Explain what they do.
    Go through how PwC can help them in different ways.
    Talk about current issues.

Simples
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bt_1000)
    Pick a company.
    Explain what they do.
    Go through how PwC can help them in different ways.
    Talk about current issues.

Simples
    Thanks for replying but i cant find any examples of companies that PwC deal with,help??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbapu)
    Thanks for replying but i cant find any examples of companies that PwC deal with,help??
    You can't find examples of PwC clients?

Even if you can't, your chosen client doesn't need to currently have any association with PwC. Just pick anything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone know for which firms allow more than 1 position/location?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbapu)
    It doesn't have to be a current client of PwC; the company can be any company at all. Which companies/industries do you have a genuine interest in? Just choose one that you know well. I chose an oil and gas company because i am interested in the oil and gas industry. If you don't know any industries particularly well, then something like retail is probably a good choice; at least you'll know the company well. Then just talk about advisory service to the company, auditing, and tax services.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At KPMG there is just the e-tray and report at assessment centre, no group exercise or partner interview.
    That's odd, because they do mention an "interviewer" in the email I received (I'm applying for an undergraduate internship: Pensions, Reading). The assessment centre is Canada Square, London. I was invited to the AC on 9th December. To be honest, I'm a bit worried as far as the e-tray exercise and report are concerned. Does anyone know more about these? I suppose the first one is meant to test your ability to multi-task while the second one tests your ability to synthesise data. Still, it would be great if anyone had more information. Is there anything else? They also perform a random numerical re-testing, it seems. They also said they have a policy of "casual dress". Does it sound likely or do they say it only in order to check whether people will still be wearing suits? I'm all the more worried since English isn't my native language. Somehow, I still made it so far and survived the phone interview!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueglasnost)
    That's odd, because they do mention an "interviewer" in the email I received (I'm applying for an undergraduate internship: Pensions, Reading). The assessment centre is Canada Square, London. I was invited to the AC on 9th December. To be honest, I'm a bit worried as far as the e-tray exercise and report are concerned. Does anyone know more about these? I suppose the first one is meant to test your ability to multi-task while the second one tests your ability to synthesise data. Still, it would be great if anyone had more information. Is there anything else? They also perform a random numerical re-testing, it seems. They also said they have a policy of "casual dress". Does it sound likely or do they say it only in order to check whether people will still be wearing suits? I'm all the more worried since English isn't my native language. Somehow, I still made it so far and survived the phone interview!
    Everyone at my AC wore a suit so I would recommend doing the same.

I don't recall 'interviewer' being mentioned in my email, so maybe you should contact them.

Look on wikijob for some more info regarding new AC format for KPMG: link

Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone at my AC wore a suit so I would recommend doing the same.

I don't recall 'interviewer' being mentioned in my email, so maybe you should contact them.

Look on wikijob for some more info regarding new AC format for KPMG: link

Good luck
    I thought so. I meant to wear a suit and tie, anyway. I just could not imagine walking up Canary Wharf with ragged trousers and a scruffy sweater.

The e-mail read:
    "We have adopted a business casual dress policy, therefore, your interviewer may or may not be wearing a suit depending upon whether they have a client meeting. Please dress in order to feel comfortable, we are happy to leave the choice of a suit or something slightly less formal to you."

Perhaps, the "interviewer" is just the person supervising the laptop-based test? I thought there were interviews only for graduate applicants.

On the link you provided (thank you for that, by the way), one of the commenters says there may be "simulated meetings". These are for graduate applicants, right?

I have just checked: it's about the Vacation Programme, so there shouldn't be any interview... Unless there is an extra for international students.

Thanks for all the information!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend wearing a suit and tie.

I just checked my email and it said the same thing. It's just a standard email so you don't need to worry about that.

There are no simulated meetings or partner interview for vacation scheme, so just the e-tray and report is standing between you and the internship position.

Good luck once again.

I thought so. I meant to wear a suit and tie, anyway. I just could not imagine walking up Canary Wharf with ragged trousers and a scruffy sweater.

The e-mail read:
    "We have adopted a business casual dress policy, therefore, your interviewer may or may not be wearing a suit depending upon whether they have a client meeting. Please dress in order to feel comfortable, we are happy to leave the choice of a suit or something slightly less formal to you."

Perhaps, the "interviewer" is just the person supervising the laptop-based test? I thought there were interviews only for graduate applicants.

On the link you provided (thank you for that, by the way), one of the commenters says there may be "simulated meetings". These are for graduate applicants, right?

I have just checked: it's about the Vacation Programme, so there shouldn't be any interview... Unless there is an extra for international students.

Thanks for all the information!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend wearing a suit and tie.

I just checked my email and it said the same thing. It's just a standard email so you don't need to worry about that.

There are no simulated meetings or partner interview for vacation scheme, so just the e-tray and report is standing between you and the internship position.

Good luck once again.
    You just made my day! When do you have your AC? What did you apply for?

Thanks for the information and good luck to you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You just made my day! When do you have your AC? What did you apply for?

Thanks for the information and good luck to you!
    Glad to hear it.

I had my AC about a month ago, applied for vacation scheme in Audit. I Have now accepted the offer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear it.

I had my AC about a month ago, applied for vacation scheme in Audit. I Have now accepted the offer.
    Congrats! Hopefully, I'll get an offer, too. I hadn't realised you had already had your AC before I read your first reply again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a BDO assessment centre in a week and its my first one anyone know more about what the in tray excersize involves?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tash5109)
    I have a BDO assessment centre in a week and its my first one anyone know more about what the in tray excersize involves?
    Quote me back tomorrow/thursday and i'll give you a decent description. I had it last week and got an offer 2 hours later. I have an 8 hour banking AC tomorrow and first stage the day after so i don't want to spend time telling you about BDO now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Industrious Orca)
    It doesn't have to be a current client of PwC; the company can be any company at all. Which companies/industries do you have a genuine interest in? Just choose one that you know well. I chose an oil and gas company because i am interested in the oil and gas industry. If you don't know any industries particularly well, then something like retail is probably a good choice; at least you'll know the company well. Then just talk about advisory service to the company, auditing, and tax services.
    You've been really helpful but;What commercial/industry issues are affecting this client in the business market that should be taken into account when providing them with advice? for a retail company?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Industrious Orca)
    Quote me back tomorrow/thursday and i'll give you a decent description. I had it last week and got an offer 2 hours later. I have an 8 hour banking AC tomorrow and first stage the day after so i don't want to spend time telling you about BDO now.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tash5109)
    Okay, so i'll just give you a detailed overview of my day basically. So my day started at midday and ended at about 4pm.

The group exercise was pretty okay. We were in a 3, and had 15 minutes to read through some information. Basically, a hospital has had their budget cut from 450 million to 400 million, and they need BDO to choose which of 10 options to go for. We read the information and the options, and then spent 45 minutes discussing which of the options were the best to go for; we ended up choosing 3 options. We also had to discuss how BDO could generally help the hospital to function better etc. We didn't have to present this or anything; we just discussed in our 3 what our thoughts were and reached a conclusion. There were 2 BDO employees plus the graduate recruitment person sitting on the opposite side of the table and they just watched and took notes. Basically they just want to see what you do in a team; so don't cut across people and shout out; don't say nothing. Make sure that you respect the other people in the group and value their ideas, either agreeing or disagreeing with reasons. Just make sure that you come across as a team player and you're fine.

The In-tray was really pushed for time. Apparently we didn't have to get through everything though. Basically it's about a personal situation where a man has died and left some property, debt etc with his daughter. You just have to read through the documents and plan what to do onto a table with things like 'what the action is', 'timescale/urgency', 'who to involve in the action' etc - it's easy, but pushed for time a bit. You also need to draft a letter to the client giving an update on your progress in the project. It's easy enough really and you don't have to do any preparation for it before the day.

You also get lunch, either at the start or middle of the day depending on if you're 9am or midday starting; you get to talk with some employees of BDO over lunch and just ask questions really.

Because i applied for the summer internship, which i guess you have too, i didn't have to have an interview. Apparently, if you accept the summer internship then you have the interview at the end of the internship when they decide whether to offer you a full time job.

The presentation is kind of like an interview though; it's one to one so make sure that you build a relationship with the person who you are presenting too. I was asking loads of questions about the building and how long BDO had been there, and plans to expand etc; basically questions comparing the company to others that i had been to.

Also, my AC was on the 17th November, and the graduate recruitment officer said that they had filled about 50% of spaces by then; so i guess there will still be a decent number left to fill.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.