Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accountancy Firms - Official Summer 2012 Internship Applications Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbapu)
    You've been really helpful but;What commercial/industry issues are affecting this client in the business market that should be taken into account when providing them with advice? for a retail company?
    I guess,

-Current market trends - falling share prices mean that rights issues have to be done at a lower price meaning to raise the required amount of money, a larger amount of equity has to be sold. - the eurozone debt crisis is compounding the problem with investor panic.
    -Knock on from the recession fears is that people don't have much money so cutting back on what they buy and scared to spend too much.
    -Maybe look at competitors and what they're doing; like if you chose Dixons, then a large amount of their customers may be going to Apple now.
    -Affects of VAT increases.
    -Increased importance of CSR when customers choose where to shop.
    etc etc

Do a bit of googling and you can find even better answers:
    http://www.pwc.co.uk/eng/industries/...ry_issues.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much for your help! seriously appreciated.. Im actually applying for a grad job in tax investigations but I didnt have a summer internship or anything so ive never done an assesment centre before..

Also for the presentation you gave.. for how BDO could help the company did you focus on how it can help auditing wise (im guessing you applied for audit) or how it can help in general with everything.. assurance, tax etc.

Im not sure if I should pick a company that is under going a tax investigation so I can relate it to the sector im applying to more?

thanks so much literally life saver!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Best of luck to everyone still in the application process.

I recently got an offer for Deloitte consulting SVS in 2012, was wondering if anyone else had an offer for their London office, and also to offer any help and advice for people applying.

Also got through to the EY first interview and KPMG phone interview so could potentially help with that.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tash5109)
    thanks so much for your help! seriously appreciated.. Im actually applying for a grad job in tax investigations but I didnt have a summer internship or anything so ive never done an assesment centre before..

Also for the presentation you gave.. for how BDO could help the company did you focus on how it can help auditing wise (im guessing you applied for audit) or how it can help in general with everything.. assurance, tax etc.

Im not sure if I should pick a company that is under going a tax investigation so I can relate it to the sector im applying to more?

thanks so much literally life saver!
    Firstly; you talk as though assurance and audit are different; they're not, auditing is part of providing reasonable assurance, so some firms call the division audit, and some call it assurance; so just be aware of that. I think that instead of assurance you meant to say advisory, but anyway.

Okay; well i included general audit things because that's what i applied for and i went through why they do an audit (of course it's legal, but also for investor use to raise funds) and what would happen if they didn't etc.

My company had assets in Romania, France etc as well as the UK, so i just talked about the tax problems with that and how BDO can help them to pay the right amount.

And then i also focused on challenges that could be faced using the more advisory side of BDO. This was what most of my presentation was based on.

It's up to you whether you pick a company undergoing a tax investigation i guess; i suppose that they might push you a bit if you do pick that, like asking you more in-depth questions about the tax investigation (i hate tax so i don't know any technical things to do with tax investigations, but you should get my drift). I would personally just go for a company that you know well; so i went for one that i'm invested in, cause then i knew the company and challenges better, i think that's more important than choosing one that relates more to tax, but then it's up to you. Pick one that you're comfortable talking about, just for me, this is one that i know rather than one i don't know that is under investigation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, also did you bring any handouts or anything for your presentation?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tash5109)
    Ok thanks, also did you bring any handouts or anything for your presentation?
    Yes, i printed my powerpoint slides with the basic points of my presentation on, and gave them to the employee i was presenting to. I then had my more detailed notes that i used to remember all my points and figures.

So my handouts were an overview, and i expanded on them by talking through them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Industrious Orca)
    Yes, i printed my powerpoint slides with the basic points of my presentation on, and gave them to the employee i was presenting to. I then had my more detailed notes that i used to remember all my points and figures.

So my handouts were an overview, and i expanded on them by talking through them.
    Firstly, thanks so much for everything you've put up on here, it's really appreciated.

I've got an AC this week for BDO also, I've got a few questions if you don't mind. You mention you didn't have an interview, on my email inviting me to the AC it says:

The day will run from 9am and consist of the following:

Group exercise
    In tray exercise
    Presentation (Subject below)
    Interview with a Partner
    Lunch

Was yours similar, or did it not mention the interview? I somehow skipped the phone interview and went straight to AC, so was always expecting an interview!

I've never done an E-tray and haven't seen many examples for it online, are they easy enough?

Finally! For your presentation, did you have a sheet with your entire presentation on it for you to read off? I wasn't sure if doing that would negatively affect me, or whether I should prepare some cards with brief points on it and try and memorize most of it? Really don't know what to do, as I've prepared myself a Word document with my presentation which is a couple pages, would it be okay just to take that in with me? And finally, how long did your presentation last? I know the email says 20 minutes, but I think if I get to 10 minutes I'll be doing well! Can't see myself lasting 20!

Cheers again mate, much appreciated!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark-lg)
    Firstly, thanks so much for everything you've put up on here, it's really appreciated.

I've got an AC this week for BDO also, I've got a few questions if you don't mind. You mention you didn't have an interview, on my email inviting me to the AC it says:

The day will run from 9am and consist of the following:

Group exercise
    In tray exercise
    Presentation (Subject below)
    Interview with a Partner
    Lunch

Was yours similar, or did it not mention the interview? I somehow skipped the phone interview and went straight to AC, so was always expecting an interview!

I've never done an E-tray and haven't seen many examples for it online, are they easy enough?

Finally! For your presentation, did you have a sheet with your entire presentation on it for you to read off? I wasn't sure if doing that would negatively affect me, or whether I should prepare some cards with brief points on it and try and memorize most of it? Really don't know what to do, as I've prepared myself a Word document with my presentation which is a couple pages, would it be okay just to take that in with me? And finally, how long did your presentation last? I know the email says 20 minutes, but I think if I get to 10 minutes I'll be doing well! Can't see myself lasting 20!

Cheers again mate, much appreciated!
    My email was the same, so i thought i was going to have an interview, and then on the day i was informed that i didn't have to have one. However, if you have gone straight to the AC, then i would expect that you should be having an interview (it would be very strange for a respected firm to hire people without a single interview). I had one face to face with a manager prior to my AC so i had one interview overall.

In general, when i went to the AC, if you applied for the summer internship you didn't have the interview (you have it at the end of the internship when they decide whether to give you a graduate job - i doubt this interview counts for much when they've seen you work for 6 weeks though, surely that counts for much more than a 30 minute interview); if you applied for the graduate scheme (ie: starting a full time job in 2012), then you did have an interview. Also, the school leavers scheme had to have an interview too. Of course, BDO may have changed it so that you have one day with the assessment day tasks and the interview, rather than one day with an interview, and one with the assessment day tasks. What might be the difference is that i'm based in London, so they may have been happy with bringing me into the office twice, but don't want to bring people from further away in twice. I'm not sure, but to be honest, i would expect that you would be getting an interview if you haven't had one yet, better to expect it and not have it than the other way around anyway.

Basically the in-tray is just assessing that you can read and analyse information. The BDO one is easy enough, but you are pushed for time, but then they don't expect you to finish it all, so as long as you make a decent dent in it, you should be fine. Just read the instructions well and fast, and then read through the info fast and get on with the task; make sure you know when you started and wear a watch so that you know how much time you have left, so can organise yourself well.

I had a powerpoint slide with the main points on it, that i printed off and took in to give to the employee who i presented to. I then had a word document with my basic points on but more info and data backing them up; i basically just put these into sentences that explained the basic points. I don't think they will care if you have a word document and read off it; they aren't really testing you for remembering info, they just want to see that you come up with something decent. I would take that word document in (i did take it in). The actual presentation, maybe 8 or 9 minutes i guess, and then we spent a fair amount of time just chatting about the company; i was asking her questions 'cause i was invested in the company, and she had gone to the companies assets on a trip (they were an actual client of BDO). We also talked a lot about BDO in the past and future and how the outlook is for growth. Just mainly general questions that i wanted answered really. I think the 20 minutes may be more of a 'stop some guy preparing an hour long lecture on his company' type thing, rather than a guide time.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

what % of KPMG phone interviews get an AC? (for audit)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glorydays)
    Hey guys,

what % of KPMG phone interviews get an AC? (for audit)
    5% of applicants make an AC at EY, so i would think that it's similar for KPMG. KPMG do seem to interview more applicants at first stage that the others so i would say it's more around the 25% area (knowing EY is 50%).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    this is my situation:

Ernst and Young, Indirect Tax - Offer
    KPMG, Management Consulting - Failed after telephone interview
    Grant Thornton, Tax - Failed after online tests

any questions just ask!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    KPMG (Management Consulting) - Offer!

(it's the only MC job I actually applied for). They were really quick with feedback as well! - the partner told me that they were trying really hard to improve turnaround times on the interview process.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what's happening guys? have recruiting finished or somin?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got offer for KPMG Audit + PwC Partner Shadowing in Tax. Gonna try and do both
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't heard back from PWC after completing the tests? is it safe to assume that u passed?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't heard back from PWC after completing the tests? is it safe to assume that u passed?
    It's safe to say you should call them and find out if you passed. I think I got automatic email when I passed almost immediately after. (That was in September though)

Ring them up. (I have spoken to them so many times that the whole of graduate recruitment knows who I am)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I am applying for an internship with Ernst and young for the second time (I am taking a gap year next year). Last year I failed to get past the initial application stage despite thinking I gave old examples and wrote plenty (word count last year was 1000 now only 150). I really want to do better this year but don't know how I can better improve my answers... Any advice would be much appreciated!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are the sumer intern positions for the big 4 relatively filled now? Any ideas?
    • 162 followers

With respect to KPMG telephone interview, do they email regarding the specific competencies they will be testing you on?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are the sumer intern positions for the big 4 relatively filled now? Any ideas?
    I would guess over 90% filled by now, if not by more.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.