The Student Room Group

The Gujarati Soc :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladipidoo
Lmao, get a grip. What he said is more or less correct. This is a student forum so he doesn't really need to show respect to anyone as everyone's likely to be around his age so he's allowed to be informal. Some Gujaratis use nukar/nikar so it's perfectly fine in the context it was used. And it's "nai-toh" btw, if your own Gujarati isn't perfect then don't correct his. :rolleyes:

actually you can speak with respect to anyone you speak to, in a sense "tumeh" should be used when speaking towards someone anyways.... and not really, people are of different ages, there are gcse students, uni students, college students.... mature students, but keh i understand what you mean by the informal bit.

no nakar is not part of the guji language, thats just how they mix match words in india, but it is not of guji origin, but it can again be used by those that aint guji but just picked it up from their surroundings.

hmm yeh it is "nai-toh" well done mate :congrats: but again as with your whole nukar/nikar thing, its a mix match thing and many gujis also use the "neh-toh" one as i picked it up while i was in india.

ignoring your last comment since what you said doesnt really prove anything against me......
It's all kicking off tonight, lads.
Original post by Indian_Prince
actually you can speak with respect to anyone you speak to, in a sense "tumeh" should be used when speaking towards someone anyways.... and not really, people are of different ages, there are gcse students, uni students, college students.... mature students, but keh i understand what you mean by the informal bit.

no nakar is not part of the guji language, thats just how they mix match words in india, but it is not of guji origin, but it can again be used by those that aint guji but just picked it up from their surroundings.

hmm yeh it is "nai-toh" well done mate :congrats: but again as with your whole nukar/nikar thing, its a mix match thing and many gujis also use the "neh-toh" one as i picked it up while i was in india.

ignoring your last comment since what you said doesnt really prove anything against me......

well on the hindi/urdu tsr thread I always tend to use aap simply because I have got no idea who these people are in real life so I guess in that way I should take a respectful tone. I use tum as well but only for friends and cousins etc. I never use tu as my mum and dad refer to me as tu and I don't have children yet.

OR if I want to be really fancy I'll refer to myself as "hum" if I want to be REALLY respectful, but that is very rarely used now a days and people might think you are some posh artistocratic weirdo LOL.

I don't know if the above is the same in Gujarati.
Reply 143
ey sala wun tamhe bada kutra type che, mane magajmari nai tai.
Reply 144
Original post by meera.28
Oh wow you do history .. it's like a really hard subject in my view

Lol well yh something like that, more about how people with special needs and other stuff learn and like how to get them more into their learning and other stuff (I'm not good at describing but I do know what it is, we had a person come into talk to us) Surprisingly I've never heard of him :/

History is a great subject, I love it! Though Physics on the other hand is insanely difficult.. Anyone who can get an A in that can do anything :P

Ah I see, sounds very interesting and he's like a person who helps you remember things and revise more efficiently and stuff like that by understanding how the brain functions :smile:
Reply 145
Original post by Hemzo
History is a great subject, I love it! Though Physics on the other hand is insanely difficult.. Anyone who can get an A in that can do anything :P

Ah I see, sounds very interesting and he's like a person who helps you remember things and revise more efficiently and stuff like that by understanding how the brain functions :smile:

Yh they both seem hard, physics I wouldn't say is easy but then again I find it easier than history for some reason :/

Oh wow that's good, I think I'm gnna research him :biggrin:, for a minute I was like erm what the hell is he going on about then I realised who we were talking about :smile:
Reply 146

Yh they both seem hard, physics I wouldn't say is easy but then again I find it easier than history for some reason :/

Oh wow that's good, I think I'm gnna research him :biggrin:, for a minute I was like erm what the hell is he going on about then I realised who we were talking about :smile:

Hey i'm back :tongue: Mana miss karo toh?? :lol:
Reply 147
Original post by blueray
Hey i'm back :tongue: Mana miss karo toh?? :lol:

Yay :smile: .. What happens if I say no? .. lol did you miss me?
Reply 148

Yay :smile: .. What happens if I say no? .. lol did you miss me?

Haha I go on a rampage handing out free rotli to everyone down my road :biggrin:
Reply 149
Original post by blueray
Haha I go on a rampage handing out free rotli to everyone down my road :biggrin:

lool haha then I say no .. now go, make sure you film it too yh
Reply 150

lool haha then I say no .. now go, make sure you film it too yh

Haha i was gonna anyway :tongue:
Lol some boy eats like 10 rotli and stil feels hungry! Omg I was like give him a bday cake with rotli piled up and butter in the middle of it for filling :rofl:
Reply 151
Original post by blueray
Haha i was gonna anyway :tongue:
Lol some boy eats like 10 rotli and stil feels hungry! Omg I was like give him a bday cake with rotli piled up and butter in the middle of it for filling :rofl:

Lol really? .. Oh wow that's loads, rotli bday cake, he would have loved you.
Reply 152

Lol really? .. Oh wow that's loads, rotli bday cake, he would have loved you.

haha no I don't have enough lot for that :tongue:
Reply 153
Original post by blueray
haha no I don't have enough lot for that :tongue:

lol well go buy some for your mate :smile:
Reply 154

lol well go buy some for your mate :smile:

Lol he used to come to my house everyday!
Reply 155
Original post by blueray
Lol he used to come to my house everyday!

Oh wow was he Asian or not?
Reply 156

Oh wow was he Asian or not?

Lol Yeah he is :tongue: He's gone now though :tongue: Out of london :emo:
Reply 157
Original post by blueray
Lol Yeah he is :tongue: He's gone now though :tongue: Out of london :emo:

Aww where did he go?
Original post by blueray
Hey how are you? :biggrin: What part of india you from :tongue: