The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by callum9999
Ah that could work then.

I assumed with transatlantic flights now being "domestic" they would roughly half in price. I know when I flew to America, something like 80% of my ticket was in tax.

Good point I suppose. Flights probably would be a lot cheaper. Maybe people woulf fly over for expensive, one-off (or infrequent) surgery. But if they were having extensive long term treatment for something like cancer, they'd have to settle here.
Reply 41
Never. I am European and will always be. I dislike America intensely.
Reply 42
Original post by crazycake93
Wasn't there a war that did the exact opposite?

This time you wouldn't rule us though. britain would join the US, certainly not the other way around.

Original post by Thegoodleftundone
Okay, so we can keep the NHS and other welfare policies through autonomy. Great. Moving on to the other issues:

- Being militarily tied to the US.

- Westminster loses ultimate power to the Senate/Congress.

- Your country is in an even bigger financial mess, why would we want in?

- We are proud of our country, not the United States. We wish to keep our identity as a fully fledged nation, not just a small state.

Britain has followed us into every country we have liberated in the past 20 years. How would being part of the military change that?

Umm, britain would still have a lot of autonomy on the same level as other states.

Europe isn't exactly peachy right now and britain is certainly not in good shape. We have much more elasticity, due to our economic freedom, so will recover much more quickly than either europe or england.

What is wrong with becoming patriotic to the US? We are a patriotic nation and have a great national identity.

Original post by frankayak
Never. I am European and will always be. I dislike America intensely.

What? Why? Jealous?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by DYKWIA
This time you wouldn't rule us though. britain would join the US, certainly not the other way around.

Rule? The EU doesn't Rule countries. See this is why everyone thicks Americans are slow dopey morons.

Original post by DYKWIA
Britain has followed us into every country we have liberated in the past 20 years. How would being part of the military change that

Its called being in an Alliance, American Republicanism is directly descended from British democracy hence we have the same values.

Original post by DYKWIA
Europe isn't exactly peachy right now and britain is certainly not in good shape. We have much more elasticity, due to our economic freedom, so will recover much more quickly than either europe or england.

Europe is in better shape then America right now i assure you, and you have barely recovered any lost ground since the recession started.
Original post by DYKWIA
What is wrong with becoming patriotic to the US? We are a patriotic nation and have a great national identity.

Why would another country become patriotic to another....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by IloveTan
He means stupid, slow, dopey etc etc, maybe it was a pun for us brits at the american obesity proplem. The fact you use England/Uk interchangabley proves this, well proves your igorance.

Says the brit.... you are the third fattest country on the planet. Don't go pointing fingers at us when you too have an obesity problem.

Rule? The EU doesn't Rule countries. See this is why everyone thicks Americans are slow dopey morons.

I was refering to that period of history where the thirteen states were a part of the british empire and were ruled by britain ruthlessly, with little regard for the colonists.

Its called being in an Alliance, American Republicanism is directly descended from British democracy hence we have the same values.

Exactly, so why would joining armies be such an issue then?

Europe is in better shape then America right now i assure you, and you have barely recovered any lost ground since the recession started.

Europe and its inability to conserve money is what caused our economy to fail so badly. You can hardly blame us. Just look at greece, ireland, italy, spain and eastern europe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Absolutely Not.

PS
I'm American, too.

EDIT: Why neg? Both countries have unique things, that a merger would force them to give up. I think the UK monarchy is nice and historic, but I wouldn't want it in the US, and I like the freedom of speech and right to bear arms, yet I'm guessing most English people wouldn't like that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by DYKWIA
It also means friendly...

However I didn't use it in that context, you keep proving yourself to be stupid. Brits would be happier with the EU than with the USA. Just because many Brits are discontent with the current structure of the EU it doesn't mean we'd like a union with the USA. The USA is actually hated by quite a lot here.
America could join The Commonwealth perhaps - but UK join the US? I think not. Although we have obvious cultural similarities and some legal similarities (both use the common law system) the reality is that I think the UK has a lot more in common with the majority of the EU states.
Reply 48
Original post by DYKWIA
Says the brit.... you are the third fattest country on the planet. Don't go pointing fingers at us when you too have an obesity problem.

You are first, im not pointing fingers im simply stating the truth you have an obesity problem in america
Original post by DYKWIA
This time it would be done properly. The uk would join the US, not rule it. It would have a big effect on elections, no doubt, but it would be democratic, not imperialistic.

This time? It's never been done before. When Britain ruled parts of North America, there was no USA pre-existing and they were ruling mostly immigrants who had moved over from Europe to the new land. That's not even similar.

Also... No. There are major differences in our countries, and joining together in some way isn't going to please many people.
Reply 50
Original post by DYKWIA
It also means friendly...

I was refering to that period of history where the thirteen states were a part of the british empire and were ruled by britain ruthlessly, with little regard for the colonists.

Exactly, so why would joining armies be such an issue then?

Europe and its inability to conserve money is what caused our economy to fail so badly. You can hardly blame us. Just look at greece, ireland, italy, spain and eastern europe.

Ok fair enough.

Joining armies would be a problem, 1. Because the British army is very proud of its tradition and wouldn't want to merge into your young military which simply pumps money for tech instead of actually training
2.Because of the way the two have structured their army.
3.because its an alliance not one big army.

And if your economy is THAT weak to go into melt down due to European economy loss then its your own fault. But i'd say its more of a case that your economy melted down first causing ours to go into melt down.
(edited 12 years ago)
No. We're perfectly fine being able to look after ourselves thank you very much.
Reply 52
Original post by RyanT
No, we really don't.

A lot of people in the UK are horrified by the US. Particularly its deeply anti-Christian attitude of no universal health service, war-mongering and out of control capitalism.

I think you have to understand that one of the UKs largest parties wanted to nationalise all major industries until the 1990s (Labour). There is a completely different mentality here. I went to hospital after a cycling incident yesterday (head injury) did I worry about insurance? NO Did I have to worry about a bill I couldn't afford? NO!

American laws in the UK would cause a revolution.

If the USA and UK spoke different languages this idea would appear as absurd as unifying with Russia. There is no basis for any unification.

I'm not in favour of becoming a part of the USA but you misunderstand the US political system.
We could still have a free health service. Under the constitution it is up to the States for themselves to decide how to run themselves and this means they can run a free healthcare system without federal government intervention if they so wish, so there would be no revolution you speak of. You don't understand that there is free healthcare in some parts of America, like in Massachusetts, its run at the state level, remember, America isn't just a country which British people seem to forget, its a union of 50 States.
Anyway, whilst Labour wanted nationalisation until Blair, its not safe to say that the British people wanted it to. There's a reason why Labour did diabolically in general elections in the 80s and 90s and didn't get back into power until they reliquished such policies, because the British people didn't want nationalistion anymore.
The difference between the USA and Russia is that we have had a solid relationship with the USA for a very long time. So there is some degree of sense to discuss this issue, its just not something we should go for.
Reply 53
No thank you. The brits are too sour for my taste. It's like they walk around with a permanent frown on their face. I mean, what are they so depressed about? Is life really that bad? They also tend to take everything too seriously.

lol sour brits are indeed sour. Figures, their country is old and unimportant---they want attention so they scream and shout for attention. whiners, quit whining and work on your broken country :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sharri5
No thank you. The brits are too sour for my taste. It's like they walk around with a permanent frown on their face. I mean, what are they so depressed about? Is life really that bad? They also tend to take everything too seriously.

I don't think you realise that this is very much the opposite of what a lot of us are like. We are all individuals and act very differently from each other, just like you. Don't be so ignorant.
NHS?

What happens when the poorest in the US flock to the new 51st state for healthcare?
Reply 56
Original post by Lewis :D
However I didn't use it in that context, you keep proving yourself to be stupid. Brits would be happier with the EU than with the USA. Just because many Brits are discontent with the current structure of the EU it doesn't mean we'd like a union with the USA. The USA is actually hated by quite a lot here.

What are you talking about? both populations really like each other. I know for a fact the US isn't hated. britain and the us have the strongest relationship between two countries ever. Don't hate us! It's not like you'll lose your gay rights or anything...

Original post by Sharri5

I don't think all british people are like those on TSR, you know...
Reply 57
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I don't think you realise that this is very much the opposite of what a lot of us are like. We are all individuals and act very differently from each other, just like you. Don't be so ignorant.

I'm entitled to my ****ing opinion about the people that I've met. Get over it. The only ignorant person is you if you think you have the right to stop me from expressing my opinion. You are very arrogant.
Reply 58
Original post by DYKWIA
What are you talking about? both populations really like each other. I know for a fact the US isn't hated. britain and the us have the strongest relationship between two countries ever. Don't hate us! It's not like you'll lose your gay rights or anything...

expressing my opinion. I'm entitled to it.
Reply 59
Original post by DYKWIA

I didn't say everyone here hated the USA, as that's certainly not true. I said there are quite a few which do hate the USA, which is quite understandable seeing as what's happened in recent years, although it's mainly the US government. Why are you bringing gay rights into this topic? It's totally irrelevant :s.

Latest