The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Aww that would be cute, if they build a massive road or loadsa bridges till we were connected to america <3
Reply 941
Original post by Lewis :D
Because you know zilch about the geography of the United Kingdom, one of the countries this thread is about.

Ah, no wonder you get annoyed. You're from wales- which isn't part of England. Soz. :tongue:
Original post by Sharri5
But it's still greater than yours :colonhash:

I wouldn't out the word "great" onto a simple fact that you can express more hatred and incite violence without fear of arrest, to be honest. It doesn't really affect the average person's every day life all that much, because most people are smart enough not to hate entire groups of people for no reason, and not to threaten others.
Reply 943
Original post by tehFrance
Britain is not technically correct though, it is Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or just Great Britain when referring to England, Scotland and Wales).

Just my on the Great Britain versus Britain debate :tongue:

You are right. It's not technically correct, but it does tend to suffice when discussing the country. I normally say the UK or Great Britain (even though the latter is also not technically correct). I think I just like the sound of it. :colondollar:

England is just plain wrong, though.
Original post by DYKWIA
That's the same with any book though. I still think we should have the right to freedom of expression.

I did some basic geography, yes. I can point to all 50 states and used to be able to name their capitals. As for the rest of the world, I admit that I'm not too knowledgeable, I think I can do a few countries in europe - west europe's ok. E-europe seems to change every other year so I've no idea about all the old communist countries.

Geez, calm it. Thanks for the explanation. I doubt I will remember it - there are just way too many names for combinations of 'your country'.

There are not lots of combinations... If you are referring to the whole thing, it is the United Kingdom. Easy.

Also... Basic geography = just the geography of your own country? That's pretty bad to be fair, even if you can point out some of west europe as well. Obviously most of us can't name every country, but what about South America, Africa, Asia and Australasia? You haven't even mentioned these continents. When I studied Geography (at a basic level, because I took no qualifications in it) we studied WORLD Geography as well as that of our own country.
It amazes me that this isn't included in the education of Americans... Even at a basic level.
Reply 945
Original post by Emaemmaemily
There are not lots of combinations... If you are referring to the whole thing, it is the United Kingdom. Easy.

Also... Basic geography = just the geography of your own country? That's pretty bad to be fair, even if you can point out some of west europe as well. Obviously most of us can't name every country, but what about South America, Africa, Asia and Australasia? You haven't even mentioned these continents. When I studied Geography (at a basic level, because I took no qualifications in it) we studied WORLD Geography as well as that of our own country.
It amazes me that this isn't included in the education of Americans... Even at a basic level.

And it amazes me that no pre college education in 'your country' touches on discrete math or CS. No education scheme is perfect. Anyway, we do learn world locations, it's just we focus on American locations. Same with history.
Original post by DYKWIA
And it amazes me that no pre college education in 'your country' touches on discrete math or CS. No education scheme is perfect. Anyway, we do learn world locations, it's just we focus on American locations. Same with history.

Yes, and that is why Americans end up on forums talking about countries that they can not name properly, may not be able to locate on a map, and know nothing about in regards to history. That is really a bad education system to be honest... It creates ignorant people, and not necessarily through fault of their own.
Discrete mathematics really has no baring on the average person's life, so it's not exactly something that must be tackled. Although I DID study this here, BEFORE university education.
Reply 947
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Yes, and that is why Americans end up on forums talking about countries that they can not name properly, may not be able to locate on a map, and know nothing about in regards to history. That is really a bad education system to be honest... It creates ignorant people, and not necessarily through fault of their own.
Discrete mathematics really has no baring on the average person's life, so it's not exactly something that must be tackled. Although I DID study this here, BEFORE university education.

I'm just giving it as an example. Also, I'm probably not representative of the rest of the country.

Original post by Tudball
England is just plain wrong, though.

At least I referred to you as england as opposed to europe heh. Why does this rattle your cage so much though?
Reply 948
Original post by DYKWIA
I'm just giving it as an example. Also, I'm probably not representative of the rest of the country.

At least I referred to you as england as opposed to europe heh. Why does this rattle your cage so much though?

Europe would be correct though, the United Kingdom is fully situated in Europe (with the exception of certain overseas territories). People don't mind being called European you know, it's just when Americans think Europe is a country.
Reply 949
Short answer - no.
Almost 1000 posts, and, depending on how you define it, only around 50 agreeing with the OP. Definite fail there

Even the OP, after a few posts decided to get involved in a slanging match with us brits. It's totally clear that the OP is wrong, but the bickering is fun to read :smile:
Reply 951
Original post by Andythepiano
Almost 1000 posts, and, depending on how you define it, only around 50 agreeing with the OP. Definite fail there

Even the OP, after a few posts decided to get involved in a slanging match with us brits. It's totally clear that the OP is wrong, but the bickering is fun to read :smile:

Oh yeah, Brits could win any slanging match! :fight:
Reply 952
The United Kingdom is part of the American Empire - a client state, a subsidiary. The entire Anglosphere are American pocket states.
Reply 953
Original post by Taimmi
Oh yeah, Brits could win any slanging match! :fight:

A wha?

Original post by Lewis :D
Europe would be correct though, the United Kingdom is fully situated in Europe (with the exception of certain overseas territories). People don't mind being called European you know, it's just when Americans think Europe is a country.

I think it is turning into a country.
Reply 954
Original post by DYKWIA
A wha?

I think it is turning into a country.

Doesn't really matter, if it turns into a country in the end it turns into a country. Countries don't last forever and if they did imagine how boring the planet would be. The EU won't become a country any time soon because of crises etc.
Privatised Healthcare?
Crazy everyone-has-a-gun laws?
Overly religious values?

Noo thank you.
Reply 956
Original post by buchanan700
Privatised Healthcare?
Overly religious values?

Noo thank you.

This.
Reply 957
Original post by buchanan700
Privatised Healthcare?

It's a good system. Even still, you wouldn't have to give up public healthcare.

They protect us.

Overly religious values?

That instill a good work ethic and decent standards of how to treat others?
Reply 958
Original post by DYKWIA

They protect us.

Can't you tell from Brits reactions that the two nations have totally different views on lots of issues which would make a united nation impossible? Not to mention the fact that Brits and Americans don't even want it.
:biggrin:
Original post by DYKWIA

rubbish rubbish. Any politician who threatened the NHS and completely privitised it = unelectable. It is not a good system. People DIE because they do not have enough MONEY. It's a good system if you're healthy and middle class

They protect us.

Guns. Are. Bad. We've always had very strict gun laws in the UK and we're fine. Explain that one? Thought not

But noone should have religion imposed on them

Sure we can be friends with the US, but I don't want any of their bat**** crazy, selfish, middle-class laws over here.

Not going to budge on that one.

Latest

Trending

Trending