The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
What sort of a society is one where its citizens live in fear of each other so much that they all need an arsenal of weapons at their disposal?
Not one I want to live in, I'm afraid.
Original post by DYKWIA

Original post by DYKWIA
It's a good system. Even still, you wouldn't have to give up public healthcare.

So you still agree that causing people to become bankrupt simply to pay for healthcare is good, and also that spending twice as much per capita on healthcare for no increase in health benefit is good

They protect us.

Who from? Other americans!

That instill a good work ethic and decent standards of how to treat others?

So you are saying other countries don't

No fard feelings mate, but you are getting nowhere with this
Reply 962
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I wouldn't out the word "great" onto a simple fact that you can express more hatred and incite violence without fear of arrest, to be honest. It doesn't really affect the average person's every day life all that much, because most people are smart enough not to hate entire groups of people for no reason, and not to threaten others.

That's your opinion :colonhash:

Edit: I thought I recognized your username. Stop stalking me.

:colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sharri5
That's your opinion :colonhash:

Edit: I thought I recognized your username. Stop stalking me.

:colonhash:

Yes, we are discussing opinion. I'm clearly not stalking you... We must be drawn to the same conversations.
Reply 964
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Yes, we are discussing opinion. I'm clearly not stalking you... We must be drawn to the same conversations.

:facepalm:
Original post by Tudball
What sort of a society is one where its citizens live in fear of each other so much that they all need an arsenal of weapons at their disposal?

You have it backwards. People don't live in fear because they are allowed to protect themselves.
Original post by tehFrance
It is not the same as you are recognising one country (England) and ignoring the other three (Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales).

It is not right to recognise just one (England) of the countries when outside the UK it is in itself not even recognised as a separate country (likewise with Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales which are not recognised as separate countries outside the United Kingdom's borders but are within the borders as Home Nations).

If you don't like saying the United Kingdom say Great Britain and Northern Ireland instead as it means the exact same thing.

I honestly do not understand why American's cannot understand the differences at all, do you not do geography in the United States of America?

I agree with you, he should understand the differences, but in his defense, almost no one in Europe has a clue about US geography. My experience is that the average European can spot Texas, California, New York, and Florida on a map and that's about as far as it goes.
To put it plainly you are ignorant of the world outside of the United States of America? no wonder people hate the country when it comes to talking about other nationalities.

And what do you mean Eastern Europe changes every year? what a stupid statement to make!

I don't think he is any more ignorant of Europe as people here are ignorant of the US
Original post by Darkbling
If we where to join we wouldnt have the NHS, but the good side is that the U.K would be one of the most visited as its unique.

Can you explain to me why you couldn't have the nhs? Massachusetts has their own universal healthcare system, so why do you think you couldn't keep yours? :confused:
Original post by Made in the USA
I don't think he is any more ignorant of Europe as people here are ignorant of the US

Except he is arrogant as well as ignorant.
Original post by Made in the USA
Can you explain to me why you couldn't have the nhs? Massachusetts has their own universal healthcare system, so why do you think you couldn't keep yours? :confused:

Its because most of the people who argue against the American system have gleaned their wealth or knowledge from their local television stations and immediate peer group. A little research goes a long way, but most Euros aren't aware of the complexity of the state-federal relationship in the United States.

Which makes the ignorance/arrogance charge ironic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tudball

This displays a complete and utter ignorance of the laws regarding firearm ownership in the United States, and the tone is disgustingly arrogant. Congratulations.
To put it plainly you are ignorant of the world outside of the United States of America? no wonder people hate the country when it comes to talking about other nationalities.

And what do you mean Eastern Europe changes every year? what a stupid statement to make!

The United States has several times the area of Western Europe and a population that nearly rivals it. When you memorize all 50 American states, their capitals, major cities, and their trivial cultural characteristics, I'll consider learning about your insignificant nation.
Original post by poolopis01
The United States has several times the area of Western Europe and a population that nearly rivals it. When you memorize all 50 American states, their capitals, major cities, and their trivial cultural characteristics, I'll consider learning about your insignificant nation.

Western Europe isn't Europe, Europe comprises of 50 countries and has a land mass larger than the USA (much, much, much larger if you include all of Russia).

I'll give a crap about your nation when you memorise all 50 countries, their capitals, major cities, and their trivial cultural characteristics.
Reply 974
Western Europe isn't Europe, Europe comprises of 50 countries and has a land mass larger than the USA (much, much, much larger if you include all of Russia).

I'll give a crap about your nation when you memorise all 50 countries, their capitals, major cities, and their trivial cultural characteristics.

And just why is learning capitals of countries of any use? Ever heard of this thing called the internet? It is making fact memorization more useless by the day.

Europe is a continent silly. The United States of America is one country. If you need to utilize the status of an entire continent to equalize significance then your nation is insignificant.
Reply 976
This displays a complete and utter ignorance of the laws regarding firearm ownership in the United States, and the tone is disgustingly arrogant. Congratulations.

I'm afraid that when your youth are gunning down their classmates, often with legally-owned firearms, the theory of your laws holds little weight against their practical effectiveness. And in Texas, wasn't there a law passed recently about concealed firearms now becoming a legal practice?

And as for my tone, I regret nothing. :aetsch:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 977
Original post by Tudball
I'm afraid that when your youth are gunning down their classmates, often with legally-owned firearms, the theory of your laws holds little weight against their practical effectiveness.

It is terrible when such events happen, but they are very rare - which is why you hear about them on the news.
Original post by Tudball
I'm afraid that when your youth are gunning down their classmates, often with legally-owned firearms, the theory of your laws holds little weight against their practical effectiveness.

I don't have any youth. Sorry, but the largest mass murder by an individual belongs not to America but to Norway. I'm afraid that when your racist biggots are gunning down children, the theory of restricting individuals in order to protect them holds little weight against the insanity of the idea.

Additionally, citing cases of abuse of freedom doesn't make a case against liberty but against those who abuse it. If you were to say we should find even stricter punishments for those who violate principles of liberty, you'd be completely correct.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 979
I don't have any youth. Sorry, but the largest mass murder by an individual belongs not to America but to Norway. I'm afraid that when your racist biggots are gunning down children, the theory of restricting individuals in order to protect them holds little weight against the insanity of the idea.

So the much more isolated incident in Norway takes the cake for amount murdered, but if you look at lists and statistics of quantity and consistency of school shootings and other crimes, America leads the pack by miles.

On the list of the most violent school shootings, Britain is listed once (the Dunblane massacre) and America is listed more than 80 times. In fact, since 2000, 125 American students have died at the hands of their peers in shooting sprees, and many more have been injured. Where do they get these weapons? Probably not that difficult, since America is bursting at the seams with them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "our" racist bigots. I'm a British man, and that's the only country I'm representing here.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending