The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Not even people like: charlieissocoollike ; spricket24 or raywilliamjohnson

Make reasonable income/money. They probably have to do other stuff on the side. I know RWJ sells merchandise on the side.

i know rwj gets a lot, i think he earns about 200,000 dollars a year from youtube. that's just from views, not merchandise etc.

then again if this guy is right about ryan higa, then rwj muct be making more thank 200k

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
200k a year = like 80k tax or something?

Add some pension in to it. Like 5% of income.

Now add NI, council tax's etc. All of that.
Now add your mortgage amount.
Etc etc.

You won't be earning 100k a year with all that, far from it.

you'd still have plenty to live off of.
Original post by Tommyjw
Yes i am. That isn't rich.

Earning £200,000 a year before tax would put straight into the UK's top 1 percentile for income.

If you think being richer than 198 out of every 200 people in Britain doesn't make you "rich", then there's something seriously wrong with you. Either that, or you are a greedy ****.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/stats/income_distribution/3-1table-jan2010.pdf
Reply 43
Original post by davidmarsh01
If you bought luxuries with the money, then you're still a millionaire. Say I have £1M sitting in the bank, and I buy a £500k house with that, leaving another £500k in the bank, I'd still be a millionaire. People's monetary worth is judged on how much all their assets are valued at, not just a measure of what's in the bank. Tax, bills and food would take away a chunk, but saying that if you buy houses and cars etc you won't be a millionaire because you don't have money in the bank is ridiculous.

Except i never said that anyway .... ....

The average income in the UK is around £26000 a year. How can you not think that earning 7.69 times the national income doesn't make you rich? There is only 89000 people in the UK that earn £200k or more, if you're in that out of 60 million people in the UK I think you can class yourself as rich. I think you have a warped view of what being rich is, the people you class as "rich" are more "superduper-rich" and there is very few of them.

Funny, given wikipedia stated there were 425000 + net worth millionaires in 2005.. (:

It also states, for 2005, 5% had net wealth of over 270k. 2% being 460k, 1% being 688k.

Rich is being in the very top. The top 1 out of 100. Not being around 8%.
Reply 44
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Earning £200,000 a year before tax would put straight into the UK's top 1 percentile for income.

If you think being richer than 198 out of every 200 people in Britain doesn't make you "rich", then there's something seriously wrong with you. Either that, or you are a greedy ****.

As much as i appreciate your 5 year old figures, it;s rather boring. The figures will be significantly higher. And i already have shown older figures, which also will be higher, showing just how many people are deemed as worth certain amounts. Thanks.

Rich = being in the very top percent. 1 or 2%. Not having as much wealth as 10% of the population.
all you need is a nice pair of tits. they guarantee you a few million views and then you get paid for allowing those annoying adverts.
Reply 46
Original post by Sgt.Incontro

Everybody is a greedy ****. Unless of course you are living with bare necessities, which you are not.
Reply 47
Original post by Cicerao
Because they have unrealistic standards. I come from a working class family. 200k a year is rich. In 10 years, you'd be a multi-millionaire. Most people never get anywhere close to even one million. Rich.

That is based on the assumption that none is taxed, no NI contribution. Nothing and not spending a single penny. Which is very very unrealistic assumptions to make.
Reply 48
Original post by Tommyjw
200k a year = like 80k tax or something?

Add some pension in to it. Like 5% of income.

Now add NI, council tax's etc. All of that.
Now add your mortgage amount.
Etc etc.

You won't be earning 100k a year with all that, far from it.

Original post by Besakt
That is based on the assumption that none is taxed, no NI contribution. Nothing and not spending a single penny. Which is very very unrealistic assumptions to make.

Taking off tax and NI, you'd keep approximately £114,388 a year. Students don't pay council tax, but if they did, my home town council tax band is £1304. So now the income has gone down to £113,084. Why are you including pension contributions and a mortgage? If you're on 200k a year, they're hardly especially relevant.

So in conclusion, no.
No

App store - that's where the money's at.
Reply 50
Original post by Cicerao
Taking off tax and NI, you'd keep approximately £114,388 a year. Students don't pay council tax, but if they did, my home town council tax band is £1304. So now the income has gone down to £113,084. Why are you including pension contributions and a mortgage? If you're on 200k a year, they're hardly especially relevant.

After tax its more like 105k, but whatever. With NI gone thats 100k.

Of course they are relevant 0.o .... 0.o
A person earning that much will overwhelmingly be more likely to be a home owner and an adult than not. Thus, they pay money in to a pension, and money in to a mortage.

Another 5-10k gone depending on how much pensions you put in.

Then add the mortagage. Lets say 250k house over normal 25 years. You'll pay over 1000 a month. Lets just say 12k a year.

Plus everything else.

So, yes, you will have less than 80-85k a year.

So, done and done. No need to keep going on about it.
Reply 51
Original post by Cicerao

So in conclusion, no.

Rich is relative what you consider rich another person may not.
Compared to a billionaire I am not a person earning £100k is not rich.
Compared to a homeless person who has nothing £100k is rich.
It's all relative.
Reply 52
People don't tend to include their mortgage as a negative to how much they earn. If you earn £100,000 a year, you earn £100,000 a year. It's just that bills do have to go out, but its still what you earn.
I wish I could get to that amount, but the most I think I'll ever earn in the 3d industry would be around 30k max...
Reply 53
Original post by Tommyjw
After tax its more like 105k, but whatever. With NI gone thats 100k.

Of course they are relevant 0.o .... 0.o
A person earning that much will overwhelmingly be more likely to be a home owner and an adult than not. Thus, they pay money in to a pension, and money in to a mortage.

Another 5-10k gone depending on how much pensions you put in.

Then add the mortagage. Lets say 250k house over normal 25 years. You'll pay over 1000 a month. Lets just say 12k a year.

Plus everything else.

So, yes, you will have less than 80-85k a year.

So, done and done. No need to keep going on about it.

Firstly, unless you're including variables like blind allowance or student loan repayments, you just made those figures up.

Secondly, why would you have a 25 year mortgage if you're earning 200k a year? The whole point of a mortgage is that it's a loan to buy a house you can't afford. Clearly, you don't need a loan of 250k over 25 years to afford the house on that income. Neither do you need such a sizable pension for your old age if you're on a constant income of £200,000 a year.

I'm sorry if proving your points wrong is uncomfortable, but I feel every need to keep "going on about it" when I hear rubbish being spouted.
Original post by Cicerao
Because they have unrealistic standards. I come from a working class family. 200k a year is rich. In 10 years, you'd be a multi-millionaire. Most people never get anywhere close to even one million. Rich.

Yeah you're just wrong.

Assuming you have no other bills other than Tax and NI you will ACTUALLY make £114k per year after tax.

So the only way you could become a millionaire in 10 years is if you spent £14k or less per year including rent etc. Oh yeaaah, living the high-life.
Reply 55
Original post by Einheri
I wonder what she does on the side . . . :sexface:

Me. :laugh:

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
RWJ it worth a lot, some sources say his net worth is $5m.

He has 1.3bn views in total and gains 2073637 per day on average.

Estimated earning's $567,658 - $6,055,021 /yr.

:shock: That is a

:zomg:

:rip:

Original post by Tommyjw
Wut?!
Yes so i guess you don't eat, or pay tax, or pay for food, or buy luxuries etc :P haha. You won't be a millionaire :facepalm2:. Would take you at least 10 years to become have one million in savings. Thats if you don't even buy anything that luxurious like cars, paying for houses etc.

Given i've already said it.. something far above 200k+. Like 500k a year is fairly Rich is when you can afford essentially whatever you want. With 200k a year, less than 100k to even spend, you won't be able to even buy a very small house. You'd have to get a mortgage just for a small house. You can get one for a larger one too, i;'m, just saying. When you can't even afford to buy as house with your end salary. You aren't rich. Let alone the multiple cars, boats, extravagant lifestyles etc typically accustomed with rich people.

:yy:
Reply 56
Original post by Cicerao
Firstly, unless you're including variables like blind allowance or student loan repayments, you just made those figures up.

I guessed and it isn;'t far off (:. With all the normal rates you'd have 110k odd left.

Secondly, why would you have a 25 year mortgage if you're earning 200k a year? The whole point of a mortgage is that it's a loan to buy a house you can't afford. Clearly, you don't need a loan of 250k over 25 years to afford the house on that income. Neither do you need such a sizable pension for your old age if you're on a constant income of £200,000 a year.

Want it more relevant?. Given you earn so much, you will have a nicer house. You can borrow up to 800k, but i won't go that high because i know how picky you are :wink:

400k house with a 50k% deposit and over 15 years = 2k a month. 24k a year.

Of course you need a pension.. anyone with any intelligence at all knows they would need to put some in to pensions.
Reply 57
Original post by hassi94
Yeah you're just wrong.

Assuming you have no other bills other than Tax and NI you will ACTUALLY make £114k per year after tax.

So the only way you could become a millionaire in 10 years is if you spent £14k or less per year including rent etc. Oh yeaaah, living the high-life.

I was wrong in the sense that you wouldn't have millions in pocket, but you'd still have earnt millions, which is certainly rich compared to the general population. And no need to talk to me like I'm stupid, I've already posted how much you actually earn:

Original post by Cicerao
Taking off tax and NI, you'd keep approximately £114,388 a year.
Reply 58
Youtubers also get paid for likes/comments/favourites also don't they?

I know sxephil makes a hell of a lot, but he does 8 videos a week which get like 2 million views each, plus all his merchandise. He gets paid enough for the salaries of like 3-4 people, rent studio/office space, and pay himself a salary of about $200,000 a year.
Original post by Cicerao
I was wrong in the sense that you wouldn't have millions in pocket, but you'd still have earnt millions, which is certainly rich compared to the general population. And no need to talk to me like I'm stupid, I've already posted how much you actually earn:

Didn't mean to talk to you like you were stupid, just saying my point. I didn't see your post because I opened this page a while before I decided to comment.

But yeah my point stands. I personally would be ecstatic with £200k per year, would I be rich? Well I have a couple of friends whose parents earn £150-200k per year and I've referred to them as 'rich' before. So yeah, I'd say 200k is rich.

We're really getting away from the thread point; there is a whole other thread about what people think constitutes 'rich'.

Latest

Trending

Trending