The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Happens all the time...

Thankfully there's more to getting into med school than A2 grades!
Reply 2
NO WAY?! I thought everyone with amazing grades got into medicine! Cos if you've got amazing grades then obviously you're gonna be a good doc! :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Thats funny i thought the same, i have 4A's and i am reapplying??? hmmmm....the mystery behind it?
Reply 4
z_2j96
Do you think this is possible? I heard about this a while back. Someone who got 4 A's at A level and was still rejected for all her medical offers. From Kings I think. Medicine is far too competitive!
you expect us to be suprised by this? Its been well documented on this site, other sites and in the media that often many candidates get rejected despite having straight A's and work experience and etra currciular activities coming out of their ears. Your statement is nothing new
Reply 5
I'd make some really sarcastic comment now but I feel like I'd be beating a dead horse...
Reply 6
spoon1
NO WAY?! I thought everyone with amazing grades got into medicine! Cos if you've got amazing grades then obviously you're gonna be a good doc! :rolleyes:

I really hope this thread is a joke to wind people up, cause otherwise that's possibly the dumbest thing I've read on these boards
Reply 7
j00ni
I really hope this thread is a joke to wind people up, cause otherwise that's possibly the dumbest thing I've read on these boards

No i know loads of people in such a situation including many on this forum and myself.
Reply 8
You could get full marks on every exam paper....but does that make you a good 1)communicator? 2) decision maker? 3) good at coping under pressure? 4) working in a team??
Reply 9
sayed_samed
No i know loads of people in such a situation including many on this forum and myself.

Erm I think you misunderstand me. Yes I realise this is a very real situation for many people, and I sympathise, but am not in the least surprised. What does surprise me is that someone could truely believe that having good grades will automatically make you a good doctor (Tim Kabel's post will give pointers as to why in case you are confused)
Reply 10
j00ni
Erm I think you misunderstand me. Yes I realise this is a very real situation for many people, and I sympathise, but am not in the least surprised. What does surprise me is that someone could truely believe that having good grades will automatically make you a good doctor (Tim Kabel's post will give pointers as to why in case you are confused)

i think you are misunderstoof my friend, i have done alot of voluntary work etc as well as others i know in such situations and it isnt the case of what Tim said but that medicine is very competative. Good grades is a means to an end; its the rest that gets you a place but sometimes i doubt that as the wrong people always get through the system however they are few and far between.
Reply 11
sayed_samed
i think you are misunderstoof my friend, i have done alot of voluntary work etc as well as others i know in such situations and it isnt the case of what Tim said but that medicine is very competative. Good grades is a means to an end; its the rest that gets you a place but sometimes i doubt that as the wrong people always get through the system however they are few and far between.

Obviously the system isn't flawless, but it's very effective, and the vast majority of successful applicants are the sorts of people who make good doctors. So do you agree that you need more than good grades to be able to successfuly enter med school (and be a good Dr), or disagree??

I couldn't tell from what you said.
Reply 12
I think j00ni mistunderstood my post. I was joking. I know that having good grades does not mean you will have the right attributes to be a good doctor! I was being sarcastic because the original post made me laugh at its obviousness.
Reply 13
j00ni
Obviously the system isn't flawless, but it's very effective, and the vast majority of successful applicants are the sorts of people who make good doctors. So do you agree that you need more than good grades to be able to successfuly enter med school (and be a good Dr), or disagree??

I couldn't tell from what you said..

Well unfortunately anyone can get a week in a hospital shadowing or doing X and Y voluntary work. What makes a good doctor then, someone who does all that and has a good academic record? AS spoon1 said, you have mistunderstood his post. So all those reapplying by what you say arent going to be good doctors, oh man you are so right, i shouldnt have bothered..... :rolleyes:

I dont need to answer that question of
So do you agree that you need more than good grades to be able to successfuly enter med school (and be a good Dr), or disagree??

I am sure you have already answer it myself and i have also!
Reply 14
sayed_samed
Well unfortunately anyone can get a week in a hospital shadowing or doing X and Y voluntary work. What makes a good doctor then, someone who does all that and has a good academic record? AS spoon1 said, you have mistunderstood his post. So all those reapplying by what you say arent going to be good doctors, oh man you are so right, i shouldnt have bothered..... :rolleyes:

I dont need to answer that question of

I am sure you have already answer it myself and i have also!

Ahem. Her post
Reply 15
spoon1
Ahem. Her post

Hey sorry for that, i mean her post!
Reply 16
z_2j96
Do you think this is possible? I heard about this a while back. Someone who got 4 A's at A level and was still rejected for all her medical offers. From Kings I think. Medicine is far too competitive!
isn't that pretty common......it happened to a guy in my school last year
i remember reading about someone who got 8A's and 2 B's at a2 level yes thats right 8 A's and 2 B's at alevel...they were the TOP grades in the country and ....they got rejected from cambridge....what a shocker
Reply 18
iceman_jondoe
i remember reading about someone who got 8A's and 2 B's at a2 level yes thats right 8 A's and 2 B's at alevel...they were the TOP grades in the country and ....they got rejected from cambridge....what a shocker

Grades aren’t everything, maybe she was a social recluse? As mentioned, its everything else but then again the system isn’t perfect as well as how competitive it is.
There's more to Medicine than A2 grades and thank god there is cos some people just think yes I'm going to be getting AAAA what shall I do with them? oh I could do medicine and they're just not interested either in the course or the patients.
Rant over, it's just I've met a few whilst at Med School

Latest

Trending

Trending