The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by McHumpy92
Must be terrible being a Muslim female(srs)

I'm a white male and can do what I want, when I want. My sisters are the same as well, non of us have died, been stabbed, got a criminal record, been pregnant or got someone pregnant.

lol It's nothing specifically about being Muslims - as other posts in this thread show, not everyone has curfews etc. But some of us do have over protective parents...!

Original post by lifeshard
My mom is just genuinely scared for me being out late.

My parents are the same...exact they don't want me to go out with my friends (alone) at all, if it can be helped. Your post was quite touching in that how you said we should be glad etc, and I do agree with this and try to remind myself. It's just sometimes it does feel too claustrophobic and I feel forced into being pretty unsociable.
Reply 121
Original post by merryhappy
Most people start to go to clubs about 11pm.

Well then you can hardly complain if they don't like you going out at night.
Original post by thecookiemonster
Indeed, god knows what could have happened to you if you'd be allowed to have freedom!:eek:

Everyone who has freedom to go out a lot ends up as a druggie or a teenage mum, can you believe it??

I was just referring to the particular people in my friendship group, because I'm not one of those people who makes ridiculous sweeping generalisations. And its not like we haven't been allowed "freedom" as you call it. There are certain cultural practices that we have to adhere to.
Wow, you guys have so much fun :eek:

Drinking alcohol and having sex with random ppl isnt exactly fun anyway.

Muslims have long term benefits for their actions.
Islam should be banned. It's oppressive, and breeds extremism. They also live in their own little mini Pakistan in Britain! No attempt to integrate or anything. And they have the cheek to say horrible things about our soldiers, buring poppies etc! I bet if we were invaded tomorrow they wouldn't look to "allah" for protection, they would be hiding behind British soldiers!

Throw them out I say, ungrateful bunch of money grabbing extremists.
Reply 125
Question for the thread starter.

Do you personally consider yourself an ACTUAL Muslim? Do you fulfill your 5 pillars and your 7 beliefs?
You have to understand, on a personal level, that Islam is about fundamentals. You have to do certain things in order to be considered a Muslim, not by other people but, by yourself.

It's not the religion that's stopping your parents from allowing you to go out and come back in when you please, it's your culture.

Whether you're an eastern European Muslim or a middle east Asian Muslim, it's not the religion that's making your parents stop you from going out to clubs and Halloween parties - it's your and their culture.

Know that I don't mean to offend with this post, I'd just like to see - out of personal interest - how people such as yourself think.

Thank you.
Reply 126
Original post by rogger_frogger
Islam should be banned. It's oppressive, and breeds extremism. They also live in their own little mini Pakistan in Britain! No attempt to integrate or anything. And they have the cheek to say horrible things about our soldiers, buring poppies etc! I bet if we were invaded tomorrow they wouldn't look to "allah" for protection, they would be hiding behind British soldiers!

Throw them out I say, ungrateful bunch of money grabbing extremists.

Dear Uneducated, Politically-Incorrect Brit',

I find that you should know that 'Islam' comes from the Arabic word, 'Asalaam', which means 'peace'. Hence, scholars have found that the religion of Islam, through books and teachings of its profit, is the religion of peace.

You shouldn't hate on an entire religion due to a few bad apples. If people were to point out the bad things that people of Catholic origin had done and blame the entire community for it, there would be a lot of angry believers.

People who actually follow Islam are very influential. Don't take me as being their personal defender, a white knight for a lost cause or whatever the **** you might believe - I am actually not Muslim (just educated). Now let me give you an example - I was on my way out one day when I ran into a few Islamic Speakers (think Jehovah witnesses that knock on your door). I told them I wasn't interested, but I wasn't in a rush so I sparked conversation, the man was VERY polite and had really good social etiquette. This doesn't lead me to believe that the entire Islamic community behaves just as well, but just this one man. You have to understand that a load of mixed personalities of different individuals, making up an entire community cannot be seen as one specific type of person. It's just silly and makes absolutely no sense. Maybe you just read too much Daily Mail, or something.

If you have the energy to hate on a community, try to do some research into what you think makes them so bad. If you think the religion breeds extremists, go have a look at a few citings from the Holy Qu'ran - you'll find that extremists, collectively, have no idea what they're talking about and are normally sheep, following one black sheep who's really persuasive and charismatic.

The religion of Islam does not - in the holy book or in the actions of the Prophet - aim to kill non-believers or try to convert people by the sword. Try looking up the wars of the times of their Prophet. VERY FEW people died in those wars, not because the wars were between very few people but, because their Prophet was a mastermind when it came to strategy and tact and the war would end as soon as their enemy pled the holy words or so.

TL;DR Stop being an ignorant **** who just goes along with what the media spouts out its ******* just to fit in. Be an individual.
Original post by HumiT
Well then you can hardly complain if they don't like you going out at night.

What? Am I missing something here?
Original post by chocoholic.

Have you ever drunk alcohol or had sex with random people?

And what are these long term benefits by the way?
Original post by Anonymous
-snip-

I'm a 18 year old Muslim boy @ uni and I am not allowed 'out'. My Dad wouldn't mind so long as he doesn't need my help for anything. But my Mum would want to know who/what/where/why/when and then the answer is still no.
Reply 130
Original post by NinjaToad
Question for the thread starter.

Do you personally consider yourself an ACTUAL Muslim? Do you fulfill your 5 pillars and your 7 beliefs?
You have to understand, on a personal level, that Islam is about fundamentals. You have to do certain things in order to be considered a Muslim, not by other people but, by yourself.

It's not the religion that's stopping your parents from allowing you to go out and come back in when you please, it's your culture.

Whether you're an eastern European Muslim or a middle east Asian Muslim, it's not the religion that's making your parents stop you from going out to clubs and Halloween parties - it's your and their culture.

Know that I don't mean to offend with this post, I'd just like to see - out of personal interest - how people such as yourself think.

Thank you.

In answer to your question, I'm not sure whether I consider myself an actual muslim. At times I think I do; I think I do believe in God, but many aspects of Islam I'm unsure of. I fast during Ramadan, don't drink and don't draw attention to myself (I dress respectfully but don't wear a hijab). There are times when I feel I'd want to go to a club with friends (obviously not to pull guys) but just for the experience, to be able to say I have done it (well not literally as I wouldn't tell my parents!) I don't feel my parents trust me (my dad especially) and having spoken to other muslim friends whose parents seem more religious (they don't drink, they wear a hijab and pray 5 times daily), this are things my parents don't do (only my dad drinks) my parents are more strict.
They've never preached about religion in a religious sense (I know that doesn't make much sense but it seems they care a lot about 'respect' and being a respectful family, obviously v. important in Islam).
I'm currently undecided as to whether I will remain muslim when I am older, or not. This will sound silly and I promise I am not trolling but I've considered continuing to fast when I'm older as I have done since I was 12 and it makes me appreciate what I have etc, and I do somewhat believe in God, but I don't know if I could marry a muslim. (My reasons may purely be anecdotal and I don't mean to offend but both my mum and my auntie - her sister, have been in emotional abusive relationships. My dad accuses my mum of cheating and there have been a lot of rows etc. I'm not sure where I stand on sex before marriage tbh. It's something I have been thinking a lot about recently and I'm confused as to how I feel about it all.
I know I have to do certain things to be considered a muslim, but at the moment, I'm not sure whether I am or want to be considered a muslim. I guess I'm contradicting myself when I say I want complete freedom yet I want to fast and believe in God. I admit I do feel as though I want to completely erase aspects of the religion and culture to 'fit my life better'.
I'm neither an eastern european muslim or a middle east asian muslim. My parents are Moroccan, so north African.

And what are these long term benef

No I haven't, thats not to say I have never had the opportunity to do both. Look at Britain kids are getting pregnant for God sake, i read a story the other day about a 11year old boy and 13year old having a baby. Its disguisting, sex is glamourised sooo much in british culture that people are embarassed tobe virgins!
Also having sex with random peeople is pathetic and just plain desperate. So yeah you could think I'm crazy or a loser for waiting for the right person and saving myself till marriage.

Heaven.
[QUOTE="chocoholic.;34658095"]

And what are these long term benef

No I haven't, thats not to say I have never had the opportunity to do both. Look at Britain kids are getting pregnant for God sake, i read a story the other day about a 11year old boy and 13year old having a baby. Its disguisting, sex is glamourised sooo much in british culture that people are embarassed tobe virgins!
Also having sex with random peeople is pathetic and just plain desperate. So yeah you could think I'm crazy or a loser for waiting for the right person and saving myself till marriage.

Heaven.

That story is very rare, the media are of course going to blow that kind of thing out of proportion as they love controversy.

It's not pathetic, it's fun. You don't know until you've tried it.

I don't think you're crazy or a loser, it's up to you what you do with your sex life. I don't judge.

And please- heaven doesn't exist. The sooner you realise that, the better
[QUOTE="thecookiemonster;34658155"]

That story is very rare, the media are of course going to blow that kind of thing out of proportion as they love controversy.

I don't think you're crazy or a loser, it's up to you what you do with your sex life. I don't judge.

Yes the story would've been blown out of proportions but the ages of the kids were true, plus Britain has quite a high teenage pregnancy rate.

I would never try it, how could you look at the person seriously ever again?

I think it does, which is why I follow Islam.
[QUOTE="thecookiemonster;34658155"]

I messed up my quotes lol (on phone) my replys the comment above.
Reply 135
In answer to your question, I'm not sure whether I consider myself an actual muslim. At times I think I do; I think I do believe in God, but many aspects of Islam I'm unsure of. I fast during Ramadan, don't drink and don't draw attention to myself (I dress respectfully but don't wear a hijab). There are times when I feel I'd want to go to a club with friends (obviously not to pull guys) but just for the experience, to be able to say I have done it (well not literally as I wouldn't tell my parents!) I don't feel my parents trust me (my dad especially) and having spoken to other muslim friends whose parents seem more religious (they don't drink, they wear a hijab and pray 5 times daily), this are things my parents don't do (only my dad drinks) my parents are more strict.
They've never preached about religion in a religious sense (I know that doesn't make much sense but it seems they care a lot about 'respect' and being a respectful family, obviously v. important in Islam).
I'm currently undecided as to whether I will remain muslim when I am older, or not. This will sound silly and I promise I am not trolling but I've considered continuing to fast when I'm older as I have done since I was 12 and it makes me appreciate what I have etc, and I do somewhat believe in God, but I don't know if I could marry a muslim. (My reasons may purely be anecdotal and I don't mean to offend but both my mum and my auntie - her sister, have been in emotional abusive relationships. My dad accuses my mum of cheating and there have been a lot of rows etc. I'm not sure where I stand on sex before marriage tbh. It's something I have been thinking a lot about recently and I'm confused as to how I feel about it all.
I know I have to do certain things to be considered a muslim, but at the moment, I'm not sure whether I am or want to be considered a muslim. I guess I'm contradicting myself when I say I want complete freedom yet I want to fast and believe in God. I admit I do feel as though I want to completely erase aspects of the religion and culture to 'fit my life better'.
I'm neither an eastern european muslim or a middle east asian muslim. My parents are Moroccan, so north African.

Wow. First off - thank you for the direct, honest and mature answer.

Now - it seems as if you have underlying issues with your faith in Islam and its teachings. I'm thinking you don't quite understand the benefits from being in a (practicing) Islamic family.

I once had this friend years and years ago, his name was Mohammed (pay attention, now :smile: ) and I used to go over his to his house for dinner and to generally play video games and that sort of thing, when I was a lot smaller. His Mum was my mental image of what a ninja looked like, straight outta Japan! His Dad was broad-shouldered and had a strong jaw, and when he spoke - you listened. His older sister had beautiful long hair and cleavage you could see a mile away (seriously). He would often tell me about this **** she would cause at home - bringing guys back and hiding them in her room, complaining (to him most of the time, since he only ever listened, never really spoke) about how her life wasn't 'fair' and how she doesn't believe in Allah and how this is just pushed upon her and that she wanted a choice. Obviously he couldn't go tell his parents what she was saying, otherwise she'd have been disowned or something but in the end, she moved out to University and went on the pull at least 6 times a week and ended up having a kid at the age of 19.

She's now 24, single and with a 5 year old girl. What kind of role-model do you think that 5 year old has? (I'm not personally attacking you here or anything, just see what could have been avoided if people listened to each other instead of talking at each other).

In the end, if you haven't got strong faith in God and the teachings of the prophet, you probably haven't been guided too well. Or how some people would say.. Daddy Issues. (Don't jump up at me and try to kill me now, just let me finish). If you have a history of emotional abuse and drinking in the family, chances are - your family aren't really practicing Islam as they should be. My advice to you is not to go out of your way and start drama with your Dad or your Mum or even speak to anyone about this yet, but to find out what you actually want and need.

The sad thing is, right, when/if I go to the Mosque. The majority of people there are old. Why? Because old people fear death more than young people? No. Because Older people are generally more mature than younger people and value long-term benefits over short-term benefits. Obviously, I've been in your shoes. I've wanted to go out clubbing, and have several times (and I regret each and every single one of those nights). Being out until 6 in the morning, having my tongue in some girl, I don't even knows, mouth (or even worse) hasn't made me more of a man. If anything - those experiences have made me more of a boy.

Sitting down and reflecting on what is actually needed, both for survival and comfort, and then taking action breeds maturity. You have to look deep inside and ask yourself,
'Is my Dad really the direct image of what a practicing Muslim Father should be?',
'Is my Aunties (ex)husband really doing what he is obligated to do, by faith and birthright?',
'Do I want to be like them or do I want to develop and find myself?'

Don't think that I'm pushing religion on you or anything, I'm just strongly advising you see the benefits for what you're entitled to.

A lot of reverts of Islam cry for hours on end when they're on the prayer mat knowing all the bad things they've done in their life have been in vain. There was this one guy, let's call him David, he was 34 years old when I met him. The first thing he said to me was,
'Anon, are you Muslim?'
I replied with, 'I guess so'.
and then he said, 'You. Have. No idea how lucky you are.'

Only now I realize what he meant (after constant badgering, of course).

You shouldn't take what you have for granted, given the circumstances aren't particularly great. Just try to do as I've said, and come back with results of either you letting go of these beliefs completely or embracing them.
I'm an 18 year old girl living with muslim parents (I plan to move out for uni though) and was interested to hear curfews and rules from others with muslim parents. I just want to say that I myself do not consider myself a strict muslim. I believe in God but I'm not sure I agree with a lot of muslim rules etc. My parents don't pray, my dad drinks, but they've always been kinda strict with my sister and me. I have to let them know a couple of days before I go out where I'm going, when I'll be back, and sometimes they'll say I can't go for practically no reason. When I was 16 they wouldn't let me go out for a meal with friends at 6pm on a Friday because the city centre would be full of 'drunk hooligans'. I'm allowed out occasionally until around 10pm with friends if I'm going out for a meal or something, but they seem pretty intrusive with it and I can tell they don't approve. (My dad often asks why I don't just go out earlier). :rolleyes:

You should listen to your parents. Your dad's right, there are dodgy people out at in the evenings so its not a good idea to go. Why don't you just have dinner at your friend's house where its safe? Its a good thing your parents care about you, some parents out there don't event care that their daughters are out drunk on the street till late.

I just want to pick up on a point that you made about not being sure that you agree with alot of the Muslim rules etc. Ask yourself, do you believe that the quran is the true, literal word of God? Do you believe it was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) through the angel gabriel? Do you believe that your purpose in life is to worship God alone? If the answer is no to any of these questions, then the rules are not what you should be worrying about. Its your beliefs. Assalamu Alaikum.
Original post by tsrstar
I feel your pain. :console:

I'm hoping my mums forgotten all about the marriage subject. Though that would be highly unlikely. As for the no dating.. What they don't know, can't hurt you. :wink2:

Allah (swt) knows.

Bullsheeeeeeeiiiiit.
Original post by NinjaToad
Dear Uneducated, Politically-Incorrect Brit',

I find that you should know that 'Islam' comes from the Arabic word, 'Asalaam', which means 'peace'. Hence, scholars have found that the religion of Islam, through books and teachings of its profit, is the religion of peace.

You shouldn't hate on an entire religion due to a few bad apples. If people were to point out the bad things that people of Catholic origin had done and blame the entire community for it, there would be a lot of angry believers.

People who actually follow Islam are very influential. Don't take me as being their personal defender, a white knight for a lost cause or whatever the **** you might believe - I am actually not Muslim (just educated). Now let me give you an example - I was on my way out one day when I ran into a few Islamic Speakers (think Jehovah witnesses that knock on your door). I told them I wasn't interested, but I wasn't in a rush so I sparked conversation, the man was VERY polite and had really good social etiquette. This doesn't lead me to believe that the entire Islamic community behaves just as well, but just this one man. You have to understand that a load of mixed personalities of different individuals, making up an entire community cannot be seen as one specific type of person. It's just silly and makes absolutely no sense. Maybe you just read too much Daily Mail, or something.

If you have the energy to hate on a community, try to do some research into what you think makes them so bad. If you think the religion breeds extremists, go have a look at a few citings from the Holy Qu'ran - you'll find that extremists, collectively, have no idea what they're talking about and are normally sheep, following one black sheep who's really persuasive and charismatic.

The religion of Islam does not - in the holy book or in the actions of the Prophet - aim to kill non-believers or try to convert people by the sword. Try looking up the wars of the times of their Prophet. VERY FEW people died in those wars, not because the wars were between very few people but, because their Prophet was a mastermind when it came to strategy and tact and the war would end as soon as their enemy pled the holy words or so.

TL;DR Stop being an ignorant **** who just goes along with what the media spouts out its ******* just to fit in. Be an individual.

Funny, I always thought the word "Muslim" meant "slave".

Latest

Trending

Trending