The Student Room Group

Hardest part of chemistry AS/A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NutterFrutter
"This message has been deleted by racheatworld." You deleted it.

Which exam board are you doing chem on?

I didn't? :confused:

OCR. What about yourself?
Original post by racheatworld

I didn't? :confused:

OCR. What about yourself?

Edexcel. :grumble:
Edexcel. :grumble:

Although I've had no experience with Edexcel, and therefore it wouldn't be representative for me to make a judgement, judging by that smiley I'm guessing its terrible?

OCR Organic Chemistry units = :love:

:flute:

Although I've had no experience with Edexcel, and therefore it wouldn't be representative for me to make a judgement, judging by that smiley I'm guessing its terrible?

OCR Organic Chemistry units = :love:

:flute:

Indeed, it's terrible. :lol: Our teacher was telling us that many schools are changing to OCR chemistry as it's seen as being easier and that our school is considering doing the same. :colonhash:
Indeed, it's terrible. :lol: Our teacher was telling us that many schools are changing to OCR chemistry as it's seen as being easier and that our school is considering doing the same. :colonhash:

It probably is easier, I really enjoy it and they have a clear specification which therefore makes revision simpler. However, even if your school does change I'm assuming that it probably won't affect you?

It probably is easier, I really enjoy it and they have a clear specification which therefore makes revision simpler. However, even if your school does change I'm assuming that it probably won't affect you?

No, won't affect me. :/
No, won't affect me. :/

:nn:

We have totally hijacked this thread.

:nn:

We have totally hijacked this thread.

Oh well... :rofl:
Oh well... :rofl:

At least we're keeping it moving...

*tumbleweed*

So, what other A2s are you studying?

At least we're keeping it moving...

*tumbleweed*

So, what other A2s are you studying?

Biology, maths (and general studies).

You?

You?

Biology, History (and GS)
Original post by LifeIsGood
Same, not a fan of Organic chemistry.

gutted - i abolsutely loved the organic stuff! i always found it hard to get my head around equilibria tbh - dunno why! and i never managed to master titration calculations :/
Reply 52
I'm only a couple of weeks in. I've pretty much gave up bothering in the lessons, it sounds lazy but I know I'm intelligent so I've just attributed it to the teacher's style and have decided I'll learn the unit the month before the exam.

I'm pretty arrogant and I'm not expecting to get any better than a B, and wouldn't be surprised if I came out with a D.

I'm actually planning on catching up on all the work over half-term but I'm not going to lose sleep over this lol.

EMZ=]

You?

Me too! What exam boards are you on for Bio & Maths?

Me too! What exam boards are you on for Bio & Maths?

Edexcel for Maths. AQA for bio.
Original post by Boom533
Aparently Nomeclature is fun

Not even chemistry professors find nomenclature fun..... they don't spend much time teaching it and all the textbooks actually say learning it is boring and a waste of time as a computer program can do it all/trivial names are still widely used in the upper echelons of science.

The real question is why is chem so hard? I believe that this is a sign that the basics are not ordered and taught in a coherent and sequential manner. You are thrown in at the deep end memorising ion charges and nomenclature and balancing equations and dealing with new unfamiliar concepts such as the mole. . If you are new to it it can be tricky.

Lol iz same :biggrin: AQA Bio = justification for suicide, 6 weeks in and questions make me cry

And I find Hess cycles pretty wierd so far, specifically when/how to double up enthalpys when all they tell you is that the reaction is a general delta H :s-smilie:
Original post by AtomicMan

Original post by AtomicMan
Lol iz same :biggrin: AQA Bio = justification for suicide, 6 weeks in and questions make me cry

And I find Hess cycles pretty wierd so far, specifically when/how to double up enthalpys when all they tell you is that the reaction is a general delta H :s-smilie:

You normally double when there are 2 moles.

Snap :smile:

I hate AQA with a passion :mad:
You normally double when there are 2 moles.

Yes, I usually do this, but for example, how do you know that you must do that here:

2KHCO3 + 2HCL -> 2KCl + C02 + H20, the delta H is doubled, however it is not doubled in this reaction:

2KHCO3 - > K2C03 + C02 + H20

Or in this reaction

K2C03 + 2HCL -> KCl + C02 + H20

:confused:

If anyone can answer this they would have helped me big time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending