The Student Room Group

Proper time to apply for Post grad

Hi,

I have two question. The first question is connected with the second question?

1.) What is the proper time for the application? I am asking cause 2) we have to take reference letters from our tutors, so do they feel disturbed/bothered by getting many requests from a number of universities?
Reply 1
Original post by Riba_Info
Hi,

1.) What is the proper time for the application? I am asking cause 2) we have to take reference letters from our tutors, so do they feel disturbed/bothered by getting many requests from a number of universities?

1) That depends on when your application deadlines are / whether or not you need to apply early to have a chance of applying for funding as well. It probably won't be a bad idea if you start preparing your applications now, though, because once you've got your research proposal / statement of purpose sorted out, the rest should be relatively easy.
2) Not if you don't leave it too late to ask them and/or apply for an unreasonable number of courses. They won't write their references from scratch every time anyway, so if you tell them that you'll be applying for, say, five courses, they'll know to save a copy of their reference which they can then base their other references on.
Reply 2
I applied in March/April time and had asked the 2 referees before finishing university if I could put them down as a reference if I ever did decide to apply for a postgraduate course, and they said it was fine. Just before sending my application off, I sent an email to the two of them stating what courses I had applied for and that they would be receiving reference requests soon.
Reply 3
Look into it sooner rather than later. I was rushed when I found out Imperial wanted applications in by mid-December.
Reply 4
Original post by Riba_Info
Hi,

1.) What is the proper time for the application?

2:32 pm GMT
Reply 5
Apparently it's the sooner the better, first semester even.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending