The Student Room Group

How To Do Well @ A-Levels?

Hi,

After recieving not so good grades at AS Levels, I have decided to use it as a wake up call.

After carefully analysing my mistakes and finding out why I did not do so well, it was down to the exams :frown:.

I am very good at Mathematics :biggrin:, and was predicted an A by my subject teachers. I did well in the past papers. However, when it came to the exam, I screwed up :angry: and got a 'C'!

Now, I can be on this forum ranting on and on about my failure.

But, I don't want to do that.

Instead, what I want to find out the following...

How do people do well in the exams?
How can I prepare myself on the day of the exam?
Would it be advisible to drink Red Bull/Mountain Dew before walking into an exam?
How can I prepare myself for the AS Maths resits in January?

Would be highly appreciated if someone could help me out.

Thanks
Reply 1
Well some people are just naturally that smart and do well in exams :l but for me I just start revising like 2/2.5 months earlier then the exams.
Oh and they don't procrastinate :smile:

How can I prepare myself on the day of the exam? Get lots of sleep no last minute revising

Would it be advisible to drink Red Bull/Mountain Dew before walking into an exam? Sure I did it

Do lots of past papers but do them in EXAM CONDITIONS!! No point being able to get 80% in a exam but have had to do it for 3 hours.
For maths especially do lots and lots of exam questions. If you lose marks look at the mark scheme closer or ask a teacher or friend. After a few weeks go back over the ones you got stuck on and repeat till you get full marks. Unfortunately for us, instead of making the questions harder to lessen the number of high grades they're just marking harsher, in stats last year you lost a mark for mis spelling independence. So get your exam technique sorted. And I'm personally going to start revising after these half term hols. And sure I have about half a bottle of Lucazade before exams for the sugar to wake me up. Hope this helped :colone:
Do classwork consistently! Well I haven't finished my A Levels, so there's no proof of success. But I can't imagine cramming in the last 2 months, there's so much work!

Mocks in November and Exams in January! :frown: I dont even want to start hardcore revision yet. :frown: :frown:
Original post by exam2k10
Hi,

After recieving not so good grades at AS Levels, I have decided to use it as a wake up call.

After carefully analysing my mistakes and finding out why I did not do so well, it was down to the exams :frown:.

I am very good at Mathematics :biggrin:, and was predicted an A by my subject teachers. I did well in the past papers. However, when it came to the exam, I screwed up :angry: and got a 'C'!

Now, I can be on this forum ranting on and on about my failure.

But, I don't want to do that.

Instead, what I want to find out the following...

How can I prepare myself on the day of the exam?
Would it be advisible to drink Red Bull/Mountain Dew before walking into an exam?

Would be highly appreciated if someone could help me out.

Thanks

1) It varies from person to person but many people I know (and I should do this as well lol) worked slowly and steadily throughout the year writing notes on all the topics they learnt in class- they did not just start 2 weeks before the exams

2) Sleep. Good breakfast

3) Why not- I will. I think it gives your brain a boost?

4) Learn how to do all of the different types of questions that are in the textbook for each topic- and when you are confident in every topic, start doing timed past papers. Lots of them. This is really the case for every subject that you are doing.
I done well in my Higher maths (A band 1) but didn't try so hard in Advanced Higher (B). Not sure if it's at the same level as A-levels but nevertheless...

1) People do well if they work at a slow pace throughout the year, doing past papers in each topic throughout and feeling confident, being oraganised with their work, doing homework on time and keeping on top of things. When it comes to exams, they have less to worry, and is just a matter of refreshing their memory.

2) Just remain calm. Don't think about the exam too much, get a good sleep, have breakfast and finally refresh the rusted memory on topics you think might come up in the exam before you take the exam.

3) Hmm I wouldn't see any harm. Probably best having water in the exam though.

4) Maths was the one I done best in, on terms of final grades. I put in more effort but it felt less, so my advice is get stuck into your work, listen to the teacher and ask questions if there's ANYTHING you don't understand. When you have a full understanding for a topic you could easily do the past papers and then you'll be able to exceed the average past papers and go onto more difficult and challenging questions. I was quite a perfectionist and made sure I knew everything I was supposed to know/learn.

If you can do the challenging past papers, you'll think the exam paper is easier than you expect it.
Maths is the easiest A-level you can take. Just go over countless past papers are you're pretty much guaranteed at least 80%.
Original post by exam2k10
1. How do people do well in the exams?
2. How can I prepare myself on the day of the exam?
3. Would it be advisible to drink Red Bull/Mountain Dew before walking into an exam?
4. How can I prepare myself for the AS Maths resits in January?

1. They revise effectively. They don't work 'hard', the work smart. You can get away with very little work if you work smart and get the things you need to know. If you go and memorize the whole textbook, chances are your brain will overload and muddle things up. They also rub the important information into their brains over the year, slowly; not a last minute cram. If they tell you they cram, they are lying to try and look less nerdy.

2. Banana, 2 of them in the morning.

3. Works for different people. For me, energy drinks make me feel sleepy...

4. Past papers
Original post by House Dagoth
1. They revise effectively. They don't work 'hard', the work smart. You can get away with very little work if you work smart and get the things you need to know. If you go and memorize the whole textbook, chances are your brain will overload and muddle things up. They also rub the important information into their brains over the year, slowly; not a last minute cram. If they tell you they cram, they are lying to try and look less nerdy.

2. Banana, 2 of them in the morning.

3. Works for different people. For me, energy drinks make me feel sleepy...

4. Past papers

This is very true. You don't need to sit at home doing work 24/7 and I learnt my lesson last year, I was predicted 3 As and because I am a big worrier it fell down to 2 grades. So also don't let that get to you.

How do you say to revise effectively? How do you work smart? I've been reading a few articles since I got my results and always looking for advice. OP whatever you do, don't give up. There's lots of threads that show people that turned it all around, if you're committed you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest