The Student Room Group

Why do AS levels literally count for nothing? Why is Chemistry so important?

I was looking at universities, and for Molecular/Cellular Biology, you need Chemistry and 1 other science which doesn't even have to be Biology (could be Psychology/Environmental Studies etc.)
For Biomedical Sciences, you need Chemistry as a first subject, and then Biology as a second.
Nothing mentions Chemistry AS; it seems you need A2 to do anything i'd want to...But i'm hating Chemistry and can't see myself contunuing with it next year. Why is there such a strong empthasis on A2 when AS is considered a qualification in itself...Yet it's worth close to nothing.

Scroll to see replies

It's worth the same as any hard AS, but the courses you seem to be looking at are all very biochemistry based. A lot of the principles you learn in Chemistry A level are very important for your basic understanding of higher levels of biochemistry and you therefore need to have them for these courses.

It's just that Chemistry is a very integral part of the degrees you're applying for. You'd hardly do a maths degree without maths A level so why would you do molecular biology without chemistry?
Why do you want to do these courses anyway if they contain so much chemistry? Like you said, you hate chemistry
Reply 3
Because A-level has much greater depth than AS and all the courses you're looking at are very Chemistry-based so you need a certain level of understanding, AS just isn't sufficient and you'd be at a huge disadvantage in comparison to those who had done chemistry A-level..if you can't see yourself sticking Chemistry out, maybe you should look towards other courses which aren't as focused on the subject
Reply 4
1. Obviously those Biology courses require lots of Chemistry
2. Why do a course like that if you hate chemistry?
Reply 5
this is full of fail
Reply 6
I'm studying Biological Sciences at university; having not studied Chemistry at A-Level (or AS) I really am at a huge disadvantage to those in my class who have, as TGED said above. I wasn't fond of Chemistry at school and am now scolding myself for even considering becoming a biological scientist for this fact. I urge you to continue studying Chemistry at A-Level as it'll make your life so much easier if you do end up studying mentioned courses in university.
Learn from my mistakes ha.
Reply 7
Original post by Rob da Mop
It's worth the same as any hard AS, but the courses you seem to be looking at are all very biochemistry based. A lot of the principles you learn in Chemistry A level are very important for your basic understanding of higher levels of biochemistry and you therefore need to have them for these courses.

It's just that Chemistry is a very integral part of the degrees you're applying for. You'd hardly do a maths degree without maths A level so why would you do molecular biology without chemistry?

It's BIOmedicine. Cell/Molecular BIOLOGY. It's not about atoms and elements and periodic table. I understand why you might need it in Biomedicine cause it has a pharmaceutical element, but most of it is a bout bodily issues. C/M Biology is about cells, and how they work and the different parts, and maybe i haven't researched enough but i don't see a massive Chemistry element.

Edit: I don't see why i'm getting so many negs for my naivity in enquiring about my future. I thought i could get decent responses, but instead i get slated. What is the point in a website like this where people just gang up on you for asking something reasonable?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DeltaVega28
I'm studying Biological Sciences at university; having not studied Chemistry at A-Level (or AS) I really am at a huge disadvantage to those in my class who have, as TGED said above. I wasn't fond of Chemistry at school and am now scolding myself for even considering becoming a biological scientist for this fact. I urge you to continue studying Chemistry at A-Level as it'll make your life so much easier if you do end up studying mentioned courses in university.
Learn from my mistakes ha.

Surely you should urge the OP to NOT study Biological Sciences? You said yourself you didn't like chemistry so you hate your course, surely that will replicate?
Reply 9
Original post by Geosmi
Just do pure Biology at uni maybe?

I was thinking this, but it just doesn't have the same elements as the others.
You do need to know some of the A2 Chemistry stuff for Biomedical Sciences particularly the biochemistry/biomolecular science module. There are a few people on my course who haven't done some stuff I met at A2 in Chemistry, so when the lecturer whizzed through it they didn't understand it. I found that Chemistry has helped me understand some things better.
Original post by Mojojojo
It's BIOmedicine. Cell/Molecular BIOLOGY. It's not about atoms and elements and periodic table. I understand why you might need it in Biomedicine cause it has a pharmaceutical element, but most of it is a bout bodily issues. C/M Biology is about cells, and how they work and the different parts, and maybe i haven't researched enough but i don't see a massive Chemistry element.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but molecular biology will be about protein structure and interactions and cell biology will be about DNA -> RNA -> protein and the functions of organelles on a molecular level. You'll need to know a lot of organic chemistry for it I expect. Chemistry A level will teach you this along with very important things to do with acid/base and diffusion etc. that will also be very important to understanding cell biology. A level biology on the other hand will spend a very long time talking about ecology, evolution and physiological things such as circulation, respiration and digestion while devoting maybe only one or two modules to DNA and proteins.
Reply 12

As above poster has pointed out, the Biology you're talking about is just Chemistry applied to living organisms.
Original post by hassi94
Surely you should urge the OP to NOT study Biological Sciences? You said yourself you didn't like chemistry so you hate your course, surely that will replicate?

Yes perhaps I should, considering I myself underestimated how necessary a basic or rather A-Level knowledge of chemistry would be for such a course, and am now in fact considering dropping out/transferring in order to study a non-scientific subject.

But if, Mojojojo, you are absolutely certain that you want to want to pursue the biological sciences, please consider continuing Chemistry. My teacher strongly suggested that I study Chemistry. I didn't and now I'm in quite a pickle.
If you don't like Chemistry there's a high chance you won't like or understand many fundamental components of your course.

you know amino acids?
I'm study A2 chemistry and we've done them just,
A2 was a lot more emphasis on biochemistry I find, which I dont like cause I like just chemistry not the biochem bits hehe,
what are the other subjects you take?
my friend is having a similar problem with looking to study chemistry/biochemistry but she only has AS maths and a lot of places value maths very highly for those courses
Not all universities ask for Chemistry as an A level for biomedical science yanno.
Of all the universities i'm applying for they've asked for biology specifically, and on my offers they've asked for certain grades in Biology, not Chemistry.
Though that's not to say i wouldn't recommend taking it still, from what i've heard it does put you at a slight disadvantage not to carry on with it. You just dont technically need it for every university :smile:
http://xkcd.com/435/
Picture explains it in an attempt to be funny
:smile:
If you hate Chemistry now, then it's obvious those University courses aren't for you
Biology and Chemistry are complimentary. You will struggle if you do one without the other. Why do you find Chemistry hard should be your main question because teachers do have a massive impact on your perspective of a subject, I used to hate Maths last year but when I got good teachers who was friendly and in a positive atmosphere - I love it now. If you honestly just find it boring, I'd reconsider your University choices.
Reply 19
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
you know amino acids?
I'm study A2 chemistry and we've done them just,
A2 was a lot more emphasis on biochemistry I find, which I dont like cause I like just chemistry not the biochem bits hehe,
what are the other subjects you take?
my friend is having a similar problem with looking to study chemistry/biochemistry but she only has AS maths and a lot of places value maths very highly for those courses

I do Chemistry, Biology, Psychology & Sociology :/

Quick Reply

Latest