The Student Room Group

University transfer help!!!

Hey

I'm currently studying at Kingston University and I really don't like it here. I'm usually quite a talkative and funny guy but I've met no one like me and I'm finding it hard to get on with people. Everyone is much older than me and I'm finding it hard. I'm also missing home like mad. I came from a great family and there really wasn't any need of me leaving home, everyone at school said you have to spread your wings and go to a uni away from home, which I've done and regret it big time. I'm literally just passing the days now till I can hopefully transfer to Northampton Uni at home, but thats where another problem comes up. I'm studying History and Human Geography, but from my research, I believe Northampton don't initially offer these two subjects as a joint honours degree. I'm going to phone the uni up after the weekend to see what they say, but is there any chance they'll allow me to study my current degree although they don't offer it. If they can't I'm prepared to change my course to just History as I'm not enjoying Human Geography either, whereas History is amazing. My life at the moment is a right mess and I just want to study at home which I always said before sixth form, but I got pushed into going elsewhere. Is there anyone else who feels the same or in a similar position? I just wish I can sort something out!

Thanks
Original post by NathanHall93
Hey

Thanks

Well good luck.

But to be honest everything takes time, if you are sure then I would sort out clearly in your mind what you want to do and go for it.

Don't listen to people saying to just suck it up. Stick at it for as long as you can, but dont get depressed about it you can always move on.
Reply 2
Survive this year then you can always transfer after the first year.
Reply 3

It took me at least 3 months to settle into university life the first and second time round. I never spent time with a lot people I met in the first six weeks after the first year. I do still have friends from my first and second time round many years later, whom I got to know after the first 3 months, so give it a bit more time. Try to join in with course related discussions where possible and build from there.

By all means contact Northampton and work out a back up plan if you cannot face completing your degree at Kingston. Having a backup plan should help your peace of mind. Look to see if you can minimise the Human Geography element beyond the first year or change to a single honours course at Kingston. Complete your first year well and if you really can't face a second year, then transferring may be an option.

Try and look to meet people beyond your course, are any of your school friends at London Universities or within 1 hour of London? If they are, see if you can meet up, so you get a social fix from time to time. If you have some social activity that you like for which there isn't a university club or society, see if there is one in the local community. Consider a dance class Salsa/Ceroc etc, there are often beginners classes, don't require a partner and can be fun for evening.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Can i ask how this issue was resolved?
I'm a first year at kingston uni and i'm considering transferring home to northampton uni for my second year. any advice??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending