The Student Room Group

Which a-levels should I take? History, Philosophy, Psychology, Biology....?!

Hiya,
I'm in Year 11, and I'm sure others will agree that students my age and younger are put under a lot of pressure about which A-levels to choose, especially with universities apparently being 'picky' about their applicant's qualifications. I'm definitely feeling this pressure, but thankfully, I know that I want to do English Literature and Language (either combined or not). However, I'm not exactly sure about other subjects. (I'm doing 4 subjects)
These are the ones I'm thinking of... History, Philosophy, Psychology, and Biology.

Could anyone give me their opinions on any of these subjects? And which once are most accepted by uni's? ETC... Any advice, personal experience etc would be much appreciated!!! :biggrin:

By the way, I want to do Literature at Uni, and go down that sort of route. I REALLY enjoy this, and I both love, and am good at writing (so I've been told) :wink:

(I'm very new to TSR, so please inform me if I've made some sort of naive mistake about threads etc :smile:! )

Lx :biggrin:
Reply 1
I guess English lit, Philopsophy, History and Biology would be the most respected and a good selection for Humanties, Languages etc. It might be good to take a science to break things up so I think you should do Biology and any of the others, Pschology is alot of work and alot about theory and methods and not as repsected.
Reply 2
Original post by lizzziii
Hiya,
I'm in Year 11, and I'm sure others will agree that students my age and younger are put under a lot of pressure about which A-levels to choose, especially with universities apparently being 'picky' about their applicant's qualifications. I'm definitely feeling this pressure, but thankfully, I know that I want to do English Literature and Language (either combined or not). However, I'm not exactly sure about other subjects. (I'm doing 4 subjects)
These are the ones I'm thinking of... History, Philosophy, Psychology, and Biology.

Could anyone give me their opinions on any of these subjects? And which once are most accepted by uni's? ETC... Any advice, personal experience etc would be much appreciated!!! :biggrin:

Hey :smile:

If you want to do English, universities prefer you to have English Literature rather than Language and Literature as a combined course. But obviously there's no problem if you want to study them both separately. History is a very good second subject (I'd reccommend it!). I found Philosophy extremely interesting, but for various reasons it's a hard subject to do well in. Psychology is also interesting and not as difficult as the others (though there is a a lot of information to remember) - it's not as respected but that doesn't matter if you have 3 other A-levels. I have no experience of Biology; it would be a good break from the essay subjects, though!

Have you considered taking a language? Some universities let you do a foreign literature module so this could be useful in the future.
Reply 3
Hiya, :biggrin: I think I would do 3 a levels - english lit, english lang and psychology, and also an AS in history (19th and 20th century) and the extended project qualification. Does this sound okay? :/ Oh and I could possibly do AS level Classics instead of history as a fourth option, although I'm not entirely sure of what that entails as yet. I've heard that it's respected by uni's though. Hrmmm....
(edited 12 years ago)
Literature at A-Level is amazing! (seriously.) As is History, I'm really loving the course so far. Other subjects I took are Biology and Maths.
So, Biology, there's a lot of content and it's an ok work load but a lot of the marks are in descriptions and explanations which I totally fail on! (Just revise, revise, revise and you'll be fine!)

A load of my friends took Psychology and they said 'it's not that it's easy, it's just easy to pass'. Take that as you will.

As for Maths, the other subject I take in addition to Bio, His and Eng, I would say it is quite hard. You need to be committed as it may require a bit of extra reading behind to understand it more.

One thing I would say it that you've chosen quite a few essay subjects in that list. And the thing is, where as they're easier to pass, the universities like to see a mix. I too am planning on a Literature at degree (possibly with History) and a lot of notes I've seen other people make say that universities like to see a mix of science-y and humanities as it's about application of skills.
Hiya,

By the way, I want to do Literature at Uni, and go down that sort of route. I REALLY enjoy this, and I both love, and am good at writing (so I've been told) :wink:

(I'm very new to TSR, so please inform me if I've made some sort of naive mistake about threads etc :smile:! )

Lx :biggrin:

History and Biology are really good combinations,
But History, Psychology and Philiosophy would mean a lot of essay writing - especially if you are going to be doing English lang/lit too!
But goodluck
English Literature, History, Philosophy, biology. +Extended Project? Personally i'd take a language . Do you do any Classics at your school?
What EVERYONE should do is have a vague idea of what course(s) they might want to do at uni. The thing I regret most about my choice of a-levels was that it was picked according to a criteria of what I enjoyed most; a better criteria would be which courses will help me do the degree I want to do most. As such, I did not pick maths because I did not enjoy it as much. But come university application, and I found that what I want to do most as a degree (economics and philosophy) is not allowed for me because I do not have maths. I have picked up Maths since then.

Another advice is that stick with 'traditional subjects'. As you might or might not have heard, there is a subject 'black list' that respected universities have, i.e. subjects that are seriously disrespected because they are not academic enough (some myths claim that your application is sent straight to the shredder if that subject is found on your UCAS). This black list includes subject like media, drama, sociology, psychology and unfortunately Eng. Lang and Lit. (because it is considered a 'diluted' version of both subjects). I would definitely advise you to pick English Literature because it is a very respected subject to have!

Last advice is that you should keep a mix between the sciences and the arts. Unis like well rounded off applicants who haven't closed themselves off too early in their lives.
Your ideal choice, in my opinion, would be English Literature, Biology, History and Philosophy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid Psychology and Lit and Lang.
ALSO, contrary to popular belief, the EPQ is not respected as much (by the top unis at least). However, the EPQ is useful to put into your personal statement and as such it creates an interesting discussion point at your interviews - if you do do (haha) one, make sure it is something very academic and very distinct. If you're doing it on TV shows or Football or something, there really isn't a point : the qualification itself is not worth anything (maybe some UCAS points , but the top unis don't care about that).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheUbermensche
What EVERYONE should do is have a vague idea of what course(s) they might want to do at uni. The thing I regret most about my choice of a-levels was that it was picked according to a criteria of what I enjoyed most; a better criteria would be which courses will help me do the degree I want to do most. As such, I did not pick maths because I did not enjoy it as much. But come university application, and I found that what I want to do most as a degree (economics and philosophy) is not allowed for me because I do not have maths. I have picked up Maths since then.

Another advice is that stick with 'traditional subjects'. As you might or might not have heard, there is a subject 'black list' that respected universities have, i.e. subjects that are seriously disrespected because they are not academic enough (some myths claim that your application is sent straight to the shredder if that subject is found on your UCAS). This black list includes subject like media, drama, sociology, psychology and unfortunately Eng. Lang and Lit. (because it is considered a 'diluted' version of both subjects). I would definitely advise you to pick English Literature because it is a very respected subject to have!

Last advice is that you should keep a mix between the sciences and the arts. Unis like well rounded off applicants who haven't closed themselves off too early in their lives.
Your ideal choice, in my opinion, would be English Literature, Biology, History and Philosophy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid Psychology and Lit and Lang.
ALSO, contrary to popular belief, the EPQ is not respected as much (by the top unis at least). However, the EPQ is useful to put into your personal statement and as such it creates an interesting discussion point at your interviews - if you do do (haha) one, make sure it is something very academic and very distinct. If you're doing it on TV shows or Football or something, there really isn't a point : the qualification itself is not worth anything (maybe some UCAS points , but the top unis don't care about that).

There's really no point in doing Biology alone, just to appear 'well rounded' since you generally need at least two sciences for a science related degree. Unis don't really care, if you're well rounded in the academic sense, if you're a Maths Whizz, that's all they give two ****s about.

Also, It's all dependent on what subject you're applying for, Psychology is perfectly acceptable for an Arts degree. I know of someone who got into Cambridge with English Lit, Sociology and Psychology, so it depends on your subject choice tbh.
Original post by Tsunami2011
There's really no point in doing Biology alone, just to appear 'well rounded' since you generally need at least two sciences for a science related degree. Unis don't really care, if you're well rounded in the academic sense, if you're a Maths Whizz, that's all they give two ****s about.

Also, It's all dependent on what subject you're applying for, Psychology is perfectly acceptable for an Arts degree. I know of someone who got into Cambridge with English Lit, Sociology and Psychology, so it depends on your subject choice tbh.

Yes, true say on biology, it is quite a discipline-specific subject. A science subject that is respected universally is Maths though. You should definitely consider doing that. Opens so many doors for every possible course.
Reply 10
Likewise I wouldn't worry about trying to do a variety of subjects just to appear 'well-rounded'. It really doesn't matter to unis if you're 100% set on doing Lit at uni! I'm doing Literature with French and History at A2 - definitely a good combination!
ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure that you enjoy all of the subjects you choose to for A level - I picked Chemistry because I thought it would look good and I hated pretty much every second of it and ended up with a D at AS -_-
Good Luck!
Don't do combined Lit & Lang if you want to do Lit at Uni, I've found that a lot of places don't like that course.
So take Literature :smile:
I do History and its definitely an essay based subject so if you don't mind that then it's great.
Not sure about the others because I don't do them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest