The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

''Are you from Africa?'' harmless ignorance or unjustified prejudice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Probably more hilarious was the BBC report for the Royal Wedding:

[Reporter, interviewing several white people and an Asian woman]: So, have you enjoyed the celebrations?

[People]: Indeed we have, we were up early to watch!

[Reporter, to Asian woman]: When are you going home?

*awkward*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRrYKhqHhRw
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Xenopain
Dude, lighten up. I get asked that but I don't see anything wrong with it. It's harmless ignorance, don't be one of those black guys that makes everything a political statement. Just relax, is this your first time or something?

I have to agree,getting uptight and upset will send the wrong message across I.e angry black man.
The best way to deal with it is ask them why they assume your Nigerian etc. You might be surprised by the answer you get.
Original post by Reformed2010
Let me get to the point. Has any British students with ethnic origins been asked, not ''where are you from?'' but ''where are you from?'' or ''how long are you here for?'' kind of questions by staff and fellow hall residents?

I have and the first time i was brushed it aside. But literally more than at least twenty people since the start of University either thought I was ''that Nigerian student in halls''. On University exchange, was put in a certain block because I was ''one of those international students''. One staff member began conversation by asking with a smile, ''hello love how long are you here for?''. In a pre-lash a girl who I literally just met me put her hands into a fist and 'touched' hello me.

:facepalm2:

I don't even get a chance to open my mouth for them to hear my slang free south-west London accent. One girl over dinner embarrassed herself asking across the table, am I from Africa, for me to speak back ''aren't your parents from Israel? mine aren't''.

Is this really harmless ignorance or unjustified prejudice? why am I not hearing those of White British origin being wrongly asked if they are from Russia or Poland?

:curious:

whoa, youre reading so much into this. I dont really get what youre offended about, you obviously look exotic and in an effort to get to know you and relate you people are asking where your ethnicity originates from. Instead youre probably coming across as very judgmental yourself.

I am half Iranian, half Guyanese and people are suprised because Im so pale skinned, but I dont get offended about that. Stop worrying and alienating yourself and youll be much happier xx
Reply 23
Original post by The Cornerstone
Don't get too excited though every Somali has distant cousins that might or might not be a celebrity because of our complicated but detailed family trees. Heck I've been told that one of my ancestors was a king!

You've just ruined it for me :emo:

... I refuse to believe your lies :colonhash:
When I was a fresher I got asked where I was from loads. I say "near York" then I ask them where they are from. I am white
Let me get to the point. Has any British students with ethnic origins been asked, not ''where are you from?'' but ''where are you from?'' or ''how long are you here for?'' kind of questions by staff and fellow hall residents?

I have and the first time i was brushed it aside. But literally more than at least twenty people since the start of University either thought I was ''that Nigerian student in halls''. On University exchange, was put in a certain block because I was ''one of those international students''. One staff member began conversation by asking with a smile, ''hello love how long are you here for?''. In a pre-lash a girl who I literally just met me put her hands into a fist and 'touched' hello me.

I don't even get a chance to open my mouth for them to hear my slang free south-west London accent. One girl over dinner embarrassed herself asking across the table, am I from Africa, for me to speak back ''aren't your parents from Israel? mine aren't''.

Is this really harmless ignorance or unjustified prejudice? why am I not hearing those of White British origin being wrongly asked if they are from Russia or Poland?

Makes me sad that you got negged for this! I think just make it clear from the beginning you're as English as yorkshire pudding and soon the idea that you're "foreign" will go. it is just harmless ignorance - I can assume you're not in a big city?
Original post by kerily

Sorry but unless they're first or second cousins (or maybe third considering our attitude with family bonds) you're not going to meet David Bowie anytime soon :teehee:
Original post by JOR2010
Probably more hilarious was the BBC report for the Royal Wedding:

[Reporter, interviewing several white people and an Asian woman]: So, have you enjoyed the celebrations?

[People]: Indeed we have, we were up early to watch!

[Reporter, to Asian woman]: When are you going home?

*awkward*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRrYKhqHhRw

Whay makes you assume, in that clip, that the woman is Asian?!
" In a pre-lash a girl who I literally just met me put her hands into a fist and 'touched' hello me. "
Did she "touch" hello to anyone else, or just you?
Reply 29
Well, most black people in the UK these days are recent immigrants from Africa so it's a fair assumption. It shows people are keeping up with current affairs. If it was 10 years ago that would be a different story. Is there anything wrong with being from Africa?

Having blonde hair I was asked once if I was from Sweden. Was I offended? Of course not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
" In a pre-lash a girl who I literally just met me put her hands into a fist and 'touched' hello me. "
Did she "touch" hello to anyone else, or just you?

that sounds made up to me, if im honest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOyMSEWNTs

just show them this, its very educational
Walk around in an England shirt from 4 years ago - ensuring that it's 2 sizes too small - loudly proclaiming that England are the best. It shouldn't happen again.
Reply 33
Original post by kerily

It's true, family trees are extremely detailed in Somalia, I can name about 40 generations of my forefathers :colondollar: Somali population (the ethnicity not the nationality) around the world is about 20-30million so everyone is related somehow or another.

I am a distant relative of a few Presidents :rofl:

Mainly harmless ignorance. Genuinely, I don't think people do it malevolently, they just don't know. I think it's polite to wait and hear someone's accent though because nine times out of ten it's immediately obvious what nationality they are.

Just develop a strong fake Nigerian accent and ask them for their credit card details.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm from Africa and I really appreciate it when people ask me about my background. I don't like it when people automatically assume that I'm British just because I don't have a foriegn accent.

They assume I'm Black British or whatever
Original post by Octohedral
Mainly harmless ignorance. Genuinely, I don't think people do it malevolently, they just don't know. I think it's polite to wait and hear someone's accent though because nine times out of ten it's immediately obvious what nationality they are.

Just develop a strong fake Nigerian accent and ask them for their credit card details.

I don't think it's ignorance though.
Original post by Cicerao
You sure they're not asking you which city? Because I get "where are you from?" a lot and I'm white. But I say England too sometimes 'cause I study in Wales. :tongue:

tbf most of the time it's a black person that asks me.

You must look fresh from the boat. I never get asked that. Usually something along the lines of "where are you originally from, like your parents/grandparents."

Either that or maybe there is a lack of diversity from this area so they are ignorant.
(edited 12 years ago)
A lot people ask me as well at uni I tell them I am from London not realising what they mean then they ask where I am really from and I tell them Ghana. Some stare at me then go 'You look too light to be from Ghana', not all Ghanaians are dark like Micheal Essien.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending