The Student Room Group

How does GCSE Triple Science work?

For double science you do B1 and 2, C1 and 2, P1 and 2....what are the extra modules/units for triple? Is it just number 3 for all three sciences or is it 4+ aswell?

For double science this makes 12 exams if its modular and 6 in units (2 for each science)....how does this differ from triple?
Original post by Saif95
For double science you do B1 and 2, C1 and 2, P1 and 2....what are the extra modules/units for triple? Is it just number 3 for all three sciences or is it 4+ aswell?

For double science this makes 12 exams if its modular and 6 in units (2 for each science)....how does this differ from triple?

Triple:

GCSE Biology: B1, B2, B3
GCSE Chemistry: C1, C2, C3
GCSE Physics: P1, P2, P3

Only 9 exams in total.
you get 3 gcse's one in each of the sciences,
each one has 4 exams. (3 of which are full written papers and one is a practicle)
where as dual science the 'science' papers are multi choice, and the additional science ones are written. there is an assesed practicle for each though.

http://www.sciencelab.org.uk/resourcezone/biology.php
Reply 3
Original post by thegodofgod
Triple:

GCSE Biology: B1, B2, B3
GCSE Chemistry: C1, C2, C3
GCSE Physics: P1, P2, P3

Only 9 exams in total.

Ah, so it's not that much harder/rigorous than double..is it?
Original post by Saif95

Shouldn't think so - you get one more GCSE, so I'd say it's definitely worth it.
When I did it, I did Physics(P1-P6), Biology(B1-B6) and Chemistry(C1-C6). I also did double science(core & additional) which is Core:B1, B2, C1, C2, P1, P2. Additional: B3, B4, C3, C4, P3, P4.
In total, you get 5 gcses for science. You sit 10 exams altogether.
If you're AQA, it's 12 exams.

C1a, C1b, C2, C3
B1a, B1b, C2, C3
P1a, P1b, P2, P3
Original post by Karma Police Arrest
If you're AQA, it's 12 exams.

C1a, C1b, C2, C3
B1a, B1b, C2, C3
P1a, P1b, P2, P3

Depends if you are doing AQA Science A or Science B (for current year 11), also if you are in year 9/10, you CANT do the a/b papers anyway as they don't exist for the new specification.

Dont forget there is an ISA for each GCSE (Biology/Chemistry/Physics).

Original post by Saif95

Given that the "3" modules all start to include material that is on A-level specifications (titrations, enthalpy calculations, organic chemistry, biotechnology, etc) then i wouldn't call it "easy". You are taking an extra GCSE worth of exams (another 3 on top of the original 6), those are the hardest modules, and the way it is "chunked" means that even if you get an A* in the 1s, an A in the 2s and a B in the 3s, you will probably end up with As and Bs, whereas for Core/Additional you'd have got A*/A.

Don't underestimate it. It's not a doss. Especially if, like for some schools, you don't get any extra timetabled time to DO triple and have to do it in the same amount of time as double.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 4 Moment Life
When I did it, I did Physics(P1-P6), Biology(B1-B6) and Chemistry(C1-C6). I also did double science(core & additional) which is Core:B1, B2, C1, C2, P1, P2. Additional: B3, B4, C3, C4, P3, P4.
In total, you get 5 gcses for science. You sit 10 exams altogether.

That's what I got but it feels likes I sat many more exams than that...
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
That's what I got but it feels likes I sat many more exams than that...

Lol, I think it was 10? Did you do OCR?
Original post by 4 Moment Life
Lol, I think it was 10? Did you do OCR?

yup 21st century
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
yup 21st century

oh, i did gateway.
Reply 12
If your doing OCR then you'd be doing all three sciences and get three seperate grades for them too. So you'd do:
Biology p1-6
chemistry p1-6
physics p1-6
And you'd do this in 2 sittings (,half in January and the other half in June).
You also have coursework which I absolutely hated!
Completely depends on the exam board, I did OCR Gateway which is what tammie94 above me has said. Normal double sciencers on OCR Gatweay do 1-4, triple do 1-6 : ) I agree the coursework can be horrible! Over 2 years you do 6 exams : )
AQA in 2010 was 3 exams plus an internally marked practical assesment (also known as an ISA) each for biology, physics and chemistry. You sat 9 exams total plus 3 practical assessments.

This may have changed with all the new specifications coming in though, so you'd be best asking at your school.

I found triple science very much a doss to be quite honest - we got double the lesson time for 1.5x the work so everyone's grades came out very high. I think the lowest set of grades achieved were ABB (keep in mind this was a below average state school). Obviously it depends on how your school works it, but if you're decent at science and the timing works well, it might be good for you.
Original post by SpringNicht
AQA in 2010 was 3 exams plus an internally marked practical assesment (also known as an ISA) each for biology, physics and chemistry. You sat 9 exams total plus 3 practical assessments.

This may have changed with all the new specifications coming in though, so you'd be best asking at your school.

I found triple science very much a doss to be quite honest - we got double the lesson time for 1.5x the work so everyone's grades came out very high. I think the lowest set of grades achieved were ABB (keep in mind this was a below average state school). Obviously it depends on how your school works it, but if you're decent at science and the timing works well, it might be good for you.

Still 9 exams and 3 practicals for AQA 2011 onwards.

In my school they get 1.5x the work and no extra time.

As for the grades, remember that most schools set their classes so only the best do triple, that the lowest was ABB is quite good, but if your school heavily set their classes then really should be expected. Doesn't mean that the person that got that didn't have to work hard, i had students working their asses off to get Bs, and others geting A* in their sleep.

If you get it, GCSE Science is easy. If you dont it's hard work!
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Still 9 exams and 3 practicals for AQA 2011 onwards.

In my school they get 1.5x the work and no extra time.

As for the grades, remember that most schools set their classes so only the best do triple, that the lowest was ABB is quite good, but if your school heavily set their classes then really should be expected. Doesn't mean that the person that got that didn't have to work hard, i had students working their asses off to get Bs, and others geting A* in their sleep.

If you get it, GCSE Science is easy. If you dont it's hard work!

i know it seems like it has been a very long time, *don't know what i have just said* but what if you are doing foundation for B2 how would that affect your overall result?
Foundation caps your UMS score for that exam at 69 (which is a high C). So long as you've got good ISAs and the rest of your exams are good, there is nothing stopping you getting more than a C overall.
guess what i dont actually know! (LOL)
so how youm go find out from yourself!!! kabeesh?
thats wrong am afraid but the truth is its goes like this for TRIPLE:

GCSE Biology: B4, B5 B6
GCSE Chemistry: C4 C5 C6
GCSE Physics: P4 P5 P6

Only 9 exams in total.

however, core sience goes likes this:
GCSE BIOLOGY: B1 B2 B3
GCSE CHEMISTRY: C1 C2 C3
GCSE PHYSICS : P1 P2 P3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending