The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Is Hull racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr. OG
Nah Hull isnt racist, you may get a few odd looks here and there but no racial abuse, youd be fine.

That's really quite annoying, like freak show annoying. I don't have any opinion of Hull (one of my exes from London lived there) but I'd rather not go to a place where I should EXPECT to get odd looks.

Reminds me of going back to my good old birthtown of Welwyn Garden City. Yes I shame them. Having an afro is not some spectacle *rolls eyes*. Get out more inbreds.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Eveiebaby
That's really quite annoying, like freak show annoying. I don't have any opinion of Hull (one of my exes from London lived there) but I'd rather not go to a place where I should EXPECT to get odd looks.

Reminds me of going back to my good old birthtown of Welwyn Garden City. Yes I shame them. Having an afro is not some spectacle *rolls eyes*. Get out more inbreds.

o.0 That doesn't happen in hull. It's nothing like WGC.
Reply 22

But the "odd looks" are just part of life isnt it, I accept it and move on. If people look at me funny, I do the same back to them....simples. :cool:
Reply 23
There's a some graffiti that I remember seeing in Hull as a kid on a trip to The Deep on a (Sikh?) corner ship - it had a picture of ET and said 'ET went back home, why don't you?'

I've also heard bad things
Original post by Mr. OG
But the "odd looks" are just part of life isnt it, I accept it and move on. If people look at me funny, I do the same back to them....simples. :cool:

Some places more than others.

It's not somewhere I would choose to live if the expectation is that the locals are a load of sheltered idiots who treat me like some kind of alien. Sure if I HAVE to go somewhere like that to get something and have the choice to pass through. But to live? No thanks. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

I have no idea about Hull though. I'm just talking about my fairly rural hometown. Thanks Mum!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25

It's not somewhere I would choose to live if the expectation is that the locals are a load of sheltered idiots who treat me like some kind of alien. Sure if I HAVE to go somewhere like that to get something and have the choice to pass through. But to live? No thanks. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

I have no idea about Hull though. I'm just talking about my fairly rural hometown. Thanks Mum!

Why would you get "odd" looks?

Hull is just a normal British city, it just has a big council estate, but it's nowhere near the Uni. I've lived there 3 years and it just seems like a normal city to me.
Reply 26
Hull is as Racist as any city,

If you believe you will find racism, you will find it.

The areas surrounding Uni and the village where the Halls are located has a very mixed community of people.. you know.. students.

You'll be fine, it's actually an awesome city - just has a big council estate that I can't think of a single reason you would wander onto.
Reply 27
Racism is everywhere; sad but true. I grew up in South London - a very diverse part of country - and saw quite a bit of racial abuse (towards and from many difference races), and if can happen there it can happen anywhere.
Reply 28
I received an offer from Hull and This thread has been really useful, Cheers people :smile:
Reply 29
Hull is the same as any other City. Unfortunately, the rougher areas on the edge of the city (the ones where you never visit as a student i may add) generally seem to be the ones that people think of when they think of Hull.
Many of the people who post on here have probably never been to the University or the areas surrounding it which are some of the nicest areas in the whole city.
I know plenty of people of African/Asian descent who have had no problems whatsoever whilst living in Hull.

Be careful what you read on here - make sure the people who are responding have actually experienced the University or living in Hull
I live in Hull and as has been said before , it is no more or less racist than any other city in England.
Reply 31
Original post by Tempa
Well, I just had a look at the demographics and 97.7% of the people in Hull are white.

So, it might be a possibility.

Not sure why this got negged. I'm from very near Hull and it is honestly as non-diverse as that suggests. There are very, very few people of an ethnic minority. You're not going to get beaten up JUST because you're non-white, but equally, you are realistically going to stand out to an extent if you're not white.

It may well be different at Hull Uni; being a university, it's likely to be substantially more ethnically diverse than the rest of the city. And equally, you know, we do have police (not that you ever see them :tongue:) and I'm yet to hear of anyone being attacked for purely race-related reasons as a student or on a night out. But if you decided to get a bus onto one of the nastier estates (which you wouldn't do as a student) then you honestly may not be that safe; you'd at least get comments, I would imagine.

I mean, this isn't going to bother you as a student unless you decide to amble down to North Point to do your shopping or something. And the university itself obviously has anti-discrimination legislation and a diverse student body. But Hull is a trifle run-down in places as a city.
Reply 32
Original post by kerily
Not sure why this got negged. I'm from very near Hull and it is honestly as non-diverse as that suggests. There are very, very few people of an ethnic minority. You're not going to get beaten up JUST because you're non-white, but equally, you are realistically going to stand out to an extent if you're not white.

It may well be different at Hull Uni; being a university, it's likely to be substantially more ethnically diverse than the rest of the city. And equally, you know, we do have police (not that you ever see them :tongue:) and I'm yet to hear of anyone being attacked for purely race-related reasons as a student or on a night out. But if you decided to get a bus onto one of the nastier estates (which you wouldn't do as a student) then you honestly may not be that safe; you'd at least get comments, I would imagine.

I mean, this isn't going to bother you as a student unless you decide to amble down to North Point to do your shopping or something. And the university itself obviously has anti-discrimination legislation and a diverse student body. But Hull is a trifle run-down in places as a city.
Well, being born and raised IN Hull I can say, without doubt, that this is the biggest pile of dog turd I have ever had the misfortune to read. Demographic has absolutely nothing to do with it, and being from one of these 'nastier' estates, in fact the very estate that North point shopping centre is in - Bransholme, I find your comments highly offensive, but I forgive you due to your obvious stupidity.

Racism is, unfortunately, a part of almost every city, town or village of Britain, regardless of demographic.
Reply 33
I live just over the river from Hull. And I wouldn't ever go to uni to Hull, the place is f-in terrible. I know that the student life is apparently quite good though. A lot of Hull isnt too racist, but I would definitely say its more racist than other cities.
Reply 34
Original post by ljbuilder
I live just over the river from Hull. And I wouldn't ever go to uni to Hull, the place is f-in terrible. I know that the student life is apparently quite good though. A lot of Hull isnt too racist, but I would definitely say its more racist than other cities.

Isn't TOO racist? Give me strength. I'm assuming that by 'just over the river' you mean you're from Immingham, Barton, Grimsby, Cleethorpes or somewhere similar? If so, your views are hardly surprising. Where is your evidence? Where in Hull have you been? I'll not hold my breath waiting for such evidence.
Reply 35
How can a area of land be racist? :holmes:

Sure there are some racist people in Hull, just like in every city in England if not the entire world.
Reply 36
As a 2nd year Student (Black guy), I can genuinely say that Hull is like any other normal city. The people are generally friendly and welcoming although like any other place racism does exist. Personally I have been on the recieving end once in a Night club. I also know another incidence involving a friend.

Wait! Are you saying WGC is rural? It's big, not huge but decently sized, defo not rural haha
Original post by Silver Aurora
Wait! Are you saying WGC is rural? It's big, not huge but decently sized, defo not rural haha

It's a small town and everyone within it behaves like they're in a village.

Real small town vibe about it. Everyone knows each other's business and people get too excited about things that shouldnt even warrant an eyebrow raise.
For somewhere that's supposed to be fairly affluent, I have never seen such a population so badly dressed. You have the orange, bleached youth on one hand and the middle-aged John Lewis brigade in their greys, browns and beige.

Hardly anyone moves out of WGC and their "nightclub" is this godforesaken dive room over a pub. My mum's back garden is sherrardswood forest/wood - that is pretty damn countrified to me.

I ****ing hate welwyn garden city. The only nice thing I have to say about my hometown is that it's nice to have a picnic at high summer, but even then I wouldnt want to stay for more than a few hours.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's a small town and everyone within it behaves like they're in a village.

Real small town vibe about it. Everyone knows each other's business and people get too excited about things that shouldnt even warrant an eyebrow raise.
For somewhere that's supposed to be fairly affluent, I have never seen such a population so badly dressed. You have the orange, bleached youth on one hand and the middle-aged John Lewis brigade in their greys, browns and beige.

Hardly anyone moves out of WGC and their "nightclub" is this godforesaken dive room over a pub. My mum's back garden is sherrardswood forest/wood - that is pretty damn countrified to me.

I ****ing hate welwyn garden city. The only nice thing I have to say about my hometown is that it's nice to have a picnic at high summer, but even then I wouldnt want to stay for more than a few hours.

Same for any middle class town tho.

Quick Reply

Latest