Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Martial Arts Annoyances

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i hate it when people don't wash their feet or when their uniforms are not ironed or clean, or when they come in looking like they just woke up.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Kids who get their 1st Dan and think they're God as a result. :mad:
    Giving kids a Dan grade is just silly. I don't think there is much risk of me being taken out by a 15 year old black belt.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resentment.)
    oi! im always sweating, right from warm up, but i always give 100%!
    you should be sweating heavily.
    I do sweAt heavily myself sometimes, the point is I don't leave puddles of it on the mat. Also it's horrible when some sweat bag stinks as well (giving off an arsey smell)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Einheri;34749796]Yeah, in submission wrestling/nogi BJJ there is always one guy who comes bare-chested - I think he watches too much UFC. It is gross; I never like rolling with him.

I remember this egomaniac who would turn up sometimes and always have his shirt off to show off his tattoos and chest the the one or two girls present. Also spent the entire session farting (really stunk), moaning about the begginers and going too hard on techniques. Really was an ********.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another annoyance. Girls with MASSIVE boobs wearing nothing but a sports bra underneath their gi (which was, curiously, untied and open). So, I'm sparring today and a new girl asks me to roll; I look up and OMFG she has what must have been like a 34H (:drool:) just bulging out of a rather small sports bra. I spent the next five minutes trying not to glance at her boobs and fighting off a semi - I felt like a thirteen-year-old again.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Another annoyance. Girls with MASSIVE boobs wearing nothing but a sports bra underneath their gi (which was, curiously, untied and open). So, I'm sparring today and a new girl asks me to roll; I look up and OMFG she has what must have been like a 34H (:drool:) just bulging out of a rather small sports bra. I spent the next five minutes trying not to glance at her boobs and fighting off a semi - I felt like a thirteen-year-old again.
    Ahh, guilty I have pretty large boobs (E-cup) and one night when teaching I couldn't find my usual sports bra. I stuck on one that I'd used underneath t shirts for jogging before, whacked my squad jacket on and went out. halfway through the warm up, I'm doing a stretch that involves leaning forwards, the students on the other side of the room were giggling. I looked down to see mega cleavage everywhere. Most embarrassing moment of my entire karate career.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Ahh, guilty I have pretty large boobs (E-cup) and one night when teaching I couldn't find my usual sports bra. I stuck on one that I'd used underneath t shirts for jogging before, whacked my squad jacket on and went out. halfway through the warm up, I'm doing a stretch that involves leaning forwards, the students on the other side of the room were giggling. I looked down to see mega cleavage everywhere. Most embarrassing moment of my entire karate career.
    Haha, funny. She was just a student, not an instructor, but they were literally about as big as her head (I really can't get over this fact, haha). I'm not normally such a perve, and especially not during rolling, but dayyyyuuuum!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My pet hate is people who join the dojo as beginners and already think they know it all. I was in a southern Shaolin class (I do northern Shaolin at the moment) and a new kid turned up. My instructor was demonstrating punches and I heard this kid (17 years old) whisper to a girl he was with, "that's not how you punch". I heard him say things like this a few times. It came to the point we were practising punches and this guy couldn't hurt a pillow with his. Throughout the year whenever we did techniques he would always try to 'help' the people he was with, saying how it should be done. It did not only anger me how he thought he already knew such a complicated art but that he was teaching newer members incredibly poor technique. I still don't know why I didn't say anything to him. I intend to go back there this Christmas to meet up with everyone, if I see him there, and he hasn't changed, I will give him a hard talk.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Giving kids a Dan grade is just silly. I don't think there is much risk of me being taken out by a 15 year old black belt.
    Absolutely pathetic. I hate these McDojo's. A real black belt takes years to achieve, takes natural talent and pure dedication. Kids who turn up once a week for a few years and claim to be 2nd or 3rd Dan is greatly exasperating.

I'm taught by a Shaolin monk who performs in the UK Shaolin performance team and we had a member who is incredibly good at Kung Fu, yet he still failed his second grading after 11 years of training.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    My pet hate is people who join the dojo as beginners and already think they know it all. I was in a southern Shaolin class (I do northern Shaolin at the moment) and a new kid turned up. My instructor was demonstrating punches and I heard this kid (17 years old) whisper to a girl he was with, "that's not how you punch". I heard him say things like this a few times. It came to the point we were practising punches and this guy couldn't hurt a pillow with his. Throughout the year whenever we did techniques he would always try to 'help' the people he was with, saying how it should be done. It did not only anger me how he thought he already knew such a complicated art but that he was teaching newer members incredibly poor technique. I still don't know why I didn't say anything to him. I intend to go back there this Christmas to meet up with everyone, if I see him there, and he hasn't changed, I will give him a hard talk.
    We had a 4th Kyu who used to tell 1st and 2nd Dan instructors that they were teaching him kata wrong. Needless to say, he eventually left our club because he wasn't progressing to his Dan grading "quickly enough" :rolleyes:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkenMaster)
    I have been doing martial arts for about 11 years now and (whilst enjoying it obviously) there are some annoyances. Here they are ;
    1. The Egomaniac's/psychos/sadists:Always trying to hurt everyone no matter what-even the complete begginers.
    2. Like the above but get pissed off when they get hurt (be it accidental or not)
    3. The 'water tester' begginers who have no intention of staying. So you waste time going over technices for nothing.
    4. The beginers who leave after a few sessions because their not Bruce Lee/UFC standard.
    5.UFC/SAS wannabes
    6. Females martial artists who try and rely on their gender.
    7. Instructors who flirt with female members during the session.
    8.Instructors that seem more interested in money.
    9. Instructors/students who are fat- not digging at the begginers. Just instructors and long time students who should set more of an example.
    10. Instructors.Students who skive out of the strenuous excercises because of 'illness/injury' yet are well enough to spar.
    11. Instructors who arrive late or finish class early.
    12. People who rely on their size.
    13. Poor hygiene (excessive sweating, bad breath)
    Yo don't necessarily need to do lots of exercise or not be fat to be good at martial arts. I've seen some overweight people in judo and aikido who are absolutely lethal, and lazy.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely pathetic. I hate these McDojo's. A real black belt takes years to achieve, takes natural talent and pure dedication. Kids who turn up once a week for a few years and claim to be 2nd or 3rd Dan is greatly exasperating.

I'm taught by a Shaolin monk who performs in the UK Shaolin performance team and we had a member who is incredibly good at Kung Fu, yet he still failed his second grading after 11 years of training.
    It took me 13 long and hard years just to get my blackbelt, and I'm now 17. I do Shaolin Kung Fu & Wushu. (I'm a girl btw)

Oh and I train 5 times a week, a few hours for those sessions. (A)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NishaaaR)
    It took me 13 long and hard years just to get my blackbelt, and I'm now 17. I do Shaolin Kung Fu & Wushu. (I'm a girl btw)

Oh and I train 5 times a week, a few hours for those sessions. (A)
    Who were you taught by? Kung Fu doesn't have a belt system.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who were you taught by? Kung Fu doesn't have a belt system.
    Yes it does, and Master Yoke Wan Lee.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not traditionally. It was first introduced in Japanese arts, beginning with Judo, by Kano Jigoro. Then Europeans exapanded the system from what was originally just white, brown, and black to loads of variations.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Not traditionally. It was first introduced in Japanese arts, beginning with Judo, by Kano Jigoro. Then Europeans exapanded the system from what was originally just white, brown, and black to loads of variations.
    Meh, well we do. But, I see your point.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know the name but unless the instructor made a belt system; Shaolin never has and never will use a belt system. No traditional Kung Fu uses belts, belts are Western concepts.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know the name but unless the instructor made a belt system; Shaolin never has and never will use a belt system. No traditional Kung Fu uses belts, belts are Western concepts.
    I've never really asked him that tbh, but I know you are right. Oh, what's your instructor's name?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never really asked him that tbh, but I know you are right. Oh, what's your instructor's name?
    Shifu Yan Xin.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    No they're not.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 13, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.