Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Martial Arts Annoyances

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Bassman)
    You should respect their opinion if it makes sense regardless of the belt. I hate dojos that insist on never correcting higher level belts even if they're wrong. It's pointless and what holds a lot of traditional martial arts behind because people are too stuck up to take peoples' opinions and so their style ends up stagnating.

I mean, when I fight someone, what belt they wear is irrelevant to me. I've been beaten by people with low ranked belts and stormed through highly ranked belts.
    Good point and I should have included that in my rant, because I was thinking about that too.
    Basically I just mean people not respecting when you try and help them and I put it automatically through my point of view that as a younger 1st kyu I often get ignored when I try and help but actually I have a large pool of knowledge to call from and I like to think of ways to effectively put things across to people.
    Which is why I find it nicer to teach children who just generally listen rather than opinionated adults that just look at my age. Though sometimes its the adults that listen and the kids that don't, basically I just want to teach those that want to learn and are open minded haha!
    Also I've moved about and I don't like this attitude of we can't take advice from a stranger.
    A new person just means more little insights I can put into my pool of knowledge in my opinion!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbynoe)
    Good point and I should have included that in my rant, because I was thinking about that too.
    Basically I just mean people not respecting when you try and help them and I put it automatically through my point of view that as a younger 1st kyu I often get ignored when I try and help but actually I have a large pool of knowledge to call from and I like to think of ways to effectively put things across to people.
    Which is why I find it nicer to teach children who just generally listen rather than opinionated adults that just look at my age. Though sometimes its the adults that listen and the kids that don't, basically I just want to teach those that want to learn and are open minded haha!
    Also I've moved about and I don't like this attitude of we can't take advice from a stranger.
    A new person just means more little insights I can put into my pool of knowledge in my opinion!!
    Yeah, totally agreed. I'm not an actual teacher but I always try and watch what my partner is doing to try and help him out at all. I find the most beneficial practices are when I have a partner who not only listens but tries to help me out too so we're just watching each other and being very perceptive of what each person is doing.

What I can't stand is one way traffic where it's just me hitting pads and the other guy just holding them up or taking shots like a zombie. Even if it's just like a 'good one' whenever a strike or throw or submission etc. is particularly good so I know what to aim for better. Even a new guy can tell when someone's done something good on them because they'll feel it.

I try, even when I'm actively attacking, to try and analyse my partner for his sake, not just mine. I'll be rolling or sparring with someone and afterwards I'll tell them what was good and what was bad etc.

I tend to find adults to be a bit more attentive because they're the ones normally paying for the classes so want the most out of it lol. I'm only 17 so I sometimes get a bit nervous trying to correct adults but normally they're appreciative, especially when they feel how effective it is. There's one guy in my judo classes who (16/17) who just doesn't seem to listen or try to improve himself. I roll with him all the time and he always makes the same mistakes. Same with a guy I do padwork with. I've been telling him for weeks now to keep his hands up and never cross his feet but he's always doing it. Then when it comes to his turn he just does the padding and doesn't try to help me improve. I mean like, I'm pretty ****e at judo (well, the stand up aspect) but I was doing groundwork with a black belt a couple of weeks ago and nearly got him with a triangle choke but he found a hole and escaped so I was like 'yeah, what you did there worked really well, what you did here didn't work so well' and then he showed me afterwards how he got me in a holding and how I should have tried to escape it.

I'm kind of blabbing on but... yeah, you get the point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha I like the blabbing.
    See I've experienced both, my sensei at home is amazing with kids, he gets them so well behaved and focused, which is impressive for the area the class is in. He gets rid of time wasters quickly or converts them so the kids I worked with wanted to learn and understand respect. Though I have seen this vary and the clubs I'm based around now have a mix of University students who think they know everything, students that wanna learn then the kids at the neighbouring club that all get stuck at 1st kyu coz they're not interested.
    I know what you mean about your partner helping you out, I try to as much as I can, well for people that actually listen. I'm from a club, which my dad is in too where that has been drilled in to me. Going easy doesn't help your partner and if you think you can help then do. I just prefer kids because they beam more when you tell them they're doing well and their physical ability often means that they can improve soooo much more. Then again the kids in the neighbouring club don't care at all mostly.
    See you have a good way of learning and it will take you far, I just wish people would get why that way of thinking is so important, karate may all boil down to you in the end at gradings and comps but, well for any martial art, but having helpful people on the journey makes such a difference.
    Keep training hard :-)
    Ow and I'm not a sensei......yet I just have been allowed to help out from a young age because I've always been a perfectionist and pride myself on getting improvements from people.
    But my black belt grading is in May if my ankle holds out then I fully plan to try and get my coaching licenses :-) I want to make a difference and be involved with a good club that isn't a McDojo and I think I could help by teaching.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another annoyance, although more related to the gi I own, is when I have such an intense session that the colour of my belt starts to stain my gi.

Oh, and right now, cheap gis. I'm practising for kata at BUCS and because it's cheap(I paid £15 but I'm not sure if that's subsidised) there's no snap in the material when I do techniques which only serves to make my techniques look sloppier than they are. I haven't used a more expensive gi but I know people who do own more expensive ones and they don't seem to have this problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The cheap belt will be staining your gi, don't believe its the gi's fault. My 2nd kyu belt was a cheap one that stained my gi, which made me furious considering the money I spent on it. But my 1st kyu belt was my mums, its thick and good quality, and it doesn't stain my gi at all. Its so old that the white strips are hand stitched by my mum haha
    Yeah that's why I used to have a kata gi and a kumite gi for BUCS, nice canvas one for kata that snaps, cheap cotton one for kumite.
    Now I don't get to compete much I stick with my beautiful heavy weight Blitz white diamond gi (£60ish)
    But I'm considering buying a Shureido one (£160) mainly because I'm a short arse and sick of folding the top of my trousers up 3 times and I can specify the arm length too!! I like shorter sleeves, but because I'm not stick thin so the shorter sleeves are still long to me! And I'm thinking it might last me ten years and look good for my black belt grading.

That's another hate, trying to get a Gi that fits perfectly. Plus anyone who folds their arms or legs up but doesn't hide it on the inside, it makes you look like a twelve year old, and its disrespectful to do so with out first asking you sensei. Either get it taken up or if you can't be arsed like me (my mums 300 miles away) fold the top of your trousers and sleeves inside haha!! Though they make you unfold then at BUCS, and yes they really do check. Screwed me over slightly for kumite!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The cheap belt will be staining your gi, don't believe its the gi's fault. My 2nd kyu belt was a cheap one that stained my gi, which made me furious considering the money I spent on it. But my 1st kyu belt was my mums, its thick and good quality, and it doesn't stain my gi at all. Its so old that the white strips are hand stitched by my mum haha
    Yeah that's why I used to have a kata gi and a kumite gi for BUCS, nice canvas one for kata that snaps, cheap cotton one for kumite.
    Now I don't get to compete much I stick with my beautiful heavy weight Blitz white diamond gi (£60ish)
    But I'm considering buying a Shureido one (£160) mainly because I'm a short arse and sick of folding the top of my trousers up 3 times and I can specify the arm length too!! I like shorter sleeves, but because I'm not stick thin so the shorter sleeves are still long to me! And I'm thinking it might last me ten years and look good for my black belt grading.

That's another hate, trying to get a Gi that fits perfectly. Plus anyone who folds their arms or legs up but doesn't hide it on the inside, it makes you look like a twelve year old, and its disrespectful to do so with out first asking you sensei. Either get it taken up or if you can't be arsed like me (my mums 300 miles away) fold the top of your trousers and sleeves inside haha!! Though they make you unfold then at BUCS, and yes they really do check. Screwed me over slightly for kumite!
    Well, the belts I'm using right now are 15 years old and are mine. Unless you can suggest a company other than blitz I don't have a choice.

I'm thinking of getting a blitz silver tournament gi in around 6 months because a white diamond would cost me £70. Although if the club subsidises it, "Hello, white diamond." If you can afford it why not?

I never knew about it being disrespectful - I think I did it with one gi because I literally had no choice; the legs were too long and I was tripping over them. And then when I got my latest gi one of the senior people(2nd dan possibly) at my club said to fold up the cuffs. Thanks for the advice though. I might get mine taken up when I get round to it. Wait... unfold the top of your gi bottoms or the cuffs? What abouit for kata?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The cuffs but also if you fold your trousers up at the bottom, which is why i fold mine over at the waist! It can create a hard solid bit that they reckon can cause damage when punching and kicking, especially with a canvas gi.
    Only for kumite since you're not likely to injure anyone during kata! Also people make a point of shorter sleeves for kata and shorter trousers as it shows off your placing of arms and legs and therefore if you're correct it makes your technique stand out as even greater, apparently. Can't say I look enough to notice, I'm always too much in my own head preparing. :-)

Yeah but the disrespectful thing is proper old school. My father's been a shodan for 22+ years and my mother was a 1st kyu before they had me and so I've been brought up with a whole load of karate rules that not many people think of these days, asking permission to fold your gi, asking permission to wear a new gi, or permission to train if not your club. No coloured tshirts, white only, if guys wear a tshirt for a grading they could be failed on it. Shouting Kia for your Kia could fail you. Don't come up before you sensei when bowing, or the person to your right for that matter. When you come back to ?yoi? sp (ready stance) never step forward as that is seen as challenging your sensei.

Haha loads of little things that are often now forgotten about but I like to try and abide by them, I mean western karate is already seen as a joke in comparison to Japan, it's nice to try and keep some little traditions.

In regards to the belts I'm not sure, I just know the thicker they are usually the better. I'm sure there is something about washing them is detrimental as well, dunno if that's related to them leaving marks though. My home club had decent ones and I've only had 2 belts from my new club and they were rubbish and left marks. My next will hopefully be black and my dad's giving me his spare and I can't remember who made my old belts.

I'm liking my white diamond so far, but get the ties reinforced. My left one has come off twice now, which I'm not impressed by. The rest of it's great though. I just am thinking about buying another so I'm not left screwed over by a tie that's fallen off closer to my grading! And I've just got a new perm job, hence the same if I can afford it why not invest in a fancy gi!! My dads have lasted him like 15 years+ and I only stopped wearing my mums 2 years ago. A good gi's something I think I can justify splurging out on!

Good luck at Bucs. I love that competition it has a nice feel to it and if it's still in Sheffield in that huge venue its epic. We used to sneak in to the swimming pool bit, it's huge!!!

(Sorry for the huge post!!!!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When you badly need to fart. It's really annoying when there are loads of people around XD
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The cuffs but also if you fold your trousers up at the bottom, which is why i fold mine over at the waist! It can create a hard solid bit that they reckon can cause damage when punching and kicking, especially with a canvas gi.
    Only for kumite since you're not likely to injure anyone during kata! Also people make a point of shorter sleeves for kata and shorter trousers as it shows off your placing of arms and legs and therefore if you're correct it makes your technique stand out as even greater, apparently. Can't say I look enough to notice, I'm always too much in my own head preparing. :-)

Yeah but the disrespectful thing is proper old school. My father's been a shodan for 22+ years and my mother was a 1st kyu before they had me and so I've been brought up with a whole load of karate rules that not many people think of these days, asking permission to fold your gi, asking permission to wear a new gi, or permission to train if not your club. No coloured tshirts, white only, if guys wear a tshirt for a grading they could be failed on it. Shouting Kia for your Kia could fail you. Don't come up before you sensei when bowing, or the person to your right for that matter. When you come back to ?yoi? sp (ready stance) never step forward as that is seen as challenging your sensei.

Haha loads of little things that are often now forgotten about but I like to try and abide by them, I mean western karate is already seen as a joke in comparison to Japan, it's nice to try and keep some little traditions.

In regards to the belts I'm not sure, I just know the thicker they are usually the better. I'm sure there is something about washing them is detrimental as well, dunno if that's related to them leaving marks though. My home club had decent ones and I've only had 2 belts from my new club and they were rubbish and left marks. My next will hopefully be black and my dad's giving me his spare and I can't remember who made my old belts.

I'm liking my white diamond so far, but get the ties reinforced. My left one has come off twice now, which I'm not impressed by. The rest of it's great though. I just am thinking about buying another so I'm not left screwed over by a tie that's fallen off closer to my grading! And I've just got a new perm job, hence the same if I can afford it why not invest in a fancy gi!! My dads have lasted him like 15 years+ and I only stopped wearing my mums 2 years ago. A good gi's something I think I can justify splurging out on!

Good luck at Bucs. I love that competition it has a nice feel to it and if it's still in Sheffield in that huge venue its epic. We used to sneak in to the swimming pool bit, it's huge!!!

(Sorry for the huge post!!!!)
    I can definitely understand that. I was practising on friday(in a free session) with my gi rolled up above my elbows and knees. It looked good for my technique, so it's a shame I won't be able to do that at BUCS. Although largely down to it looking a bit stupid.

I understand. I knew a couple of these, but not most.

From what I hear though that's more of a myth and partially to do with Japanese arrogance. For example; At the Shotokan Karate International world championships in 1983, in Tokyo, Aidan Trimble won Openweight Kumite. Do you know who Aidan Trimble is? I should be training with him on Monday His dojo is just a short walk from my room.

The belts I have are already thicker than the newer ones. I got a new belt when I came to uni but I was really not impressed by the thickness and ended up bringing my old belts from home after christmas.

I think of it this way; if I'm willing to spend a good £45 on a pair of trousers and a t-shirt then why not the same amount of money for a gi? Which is the price for the silver tournament gi give or take. If a white diamond is subsidised I'll get that.

Mmmm, thanks, only a week and my part of the competition will be over. Just need to get my last bit of training in. Luckily I've got some stuff to work on so I imagine I'll be training a fair bit for the next week.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Unless you can suggest a company other than blitz I don't have a choice.
    The belts I have are already thicker than the newer ones. I got a new belt when I came to uni but I was really not impressed by the thickness and ended up bringing my old belts from home after christmas.
    Have a look in to Koral belts if you like thickness. I wear one and it is about three times as thick as your typical Judo belt, and about 50% thicker than a Mizuno. They're made in Brazil, not some Taiwanese sweatshop so they're really good quality belts.

http://www.koraleurope.com/categoria...&cd_produto=08

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Have a look in to Koral belts if you like thickness. I wear one and it is about three times as thick as your typical Judo belt, and about 50% thicker than a Mizuno. They're made in Brazil, not some Taiwanese sweatshop so they're really good quality belts.

http://www.koraleurope.com/categoria...&cd_produto=08

If they had my belt colour I would give them a try but I've only just started back up so although I'm past white none of these belts will be useful until the end of the year, I expect.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I became a black at 11 years old in England. I came to Holland, and they told me I wasn't officially a black belt because here in Nederlands you have to be 16 to get a black belt, so now I just derp around. Screw them. I worked my ass off for that, and now they tell me I ain't good enough. I'm 17 now, and thank god I quit karate. It was just a tedious bore. Do you guys think you can "truly" be a black belt before the age of 16, or does it not matter? Because ever since then, I have lost all interest and have been messing around in my classes. Maybe I should start another martial art? One where they are less patronizing?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShredMaster)
    I became a black at 11 years old in England. I came to Holland, and they told me I wasn't officially a black belt because here in Nederlands you have to be 16 to get a black belt, so now I just derp around. Screw them. I worked my ass off for that, and now they tell me I ain't good enough. I'm 17 now, and thank god I quit karate. It was just a tedious bore. Do you guys think you can "truly" be a black belt before the age of 16, or does it not matter? Because ever since then, I have lost all interest and have been messing around in my classes. Maybe I should start another martial art? One where they are less patronizing?
    I wouldn't even give 11-year-olds a blue belt. Child black belts = McDojo.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll find this very funny in that case; I was on another thread and this 16 year old said she was a 4th Dan.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You'll find this very funny in that case; I was on another thread and this 16 year old said she was a 4th Dan.
    She could very well be. Why hold back talent? Its like not allowing a kid to learn sweep picking (talking about the guitar here) because he is 12 years old. Its stupid.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    She could very well be. Why hold back talent? Its like not allowing a kid to learn sweep picking (talking about the guitar here) because he is 12 years old. Its stupid.
    IMO a 4th Dan should have half a lifetime of experience and knowledge under their belt. 16-year-old 4th Dan . . . nonsense. :rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    She said it took her 6 years to get to 4th Dan. I know people who have been doing karate for 7 years and haven't done their 2nd Dan grading yet. Others who have done karate for 12+ years and are 'only' 3rd Dan.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Eh, there's a brown belt at my gym who must be about 12 years old I'd say but he is a genuine beast. Physically not very impressive but his technique and skill is really stunning. Everytime I go to training he's there sparring and he's really very good.

I can see the problem with giving some children higher belts but some of them just deserve it to be honest. Having an age limit seems a bit stupid if they ought to be at that grade. The problem is that a lot of coaches just hand them out for nothing. My coach drills this kid to death, he deserves it a lot more than some of the higher belts in the adults classes I'd say. He's competing in May in some kind of tournament and my coach is getting him to train twice a day for six times a week in the three weeks leading up to it.

Anyway, I don't need to keep justifying one kid. We do still get the problem where we get kids coming up to the adults class who are too highly graded and I end up having to show them how to do techniques properly. Still, can't just assume any highly graded kid comes from a mcdojo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can definitely understand that. I was practising on friday(in a free session) with my gi rolled up above my elbows and knees. It looked good for my technique, so it's a shame I won't be able to do that at BUCS. Although largely down to it looking a bit stupid.

I understand. I knew a couple of these, but not most.

From what I hear though that's more of a myth and partially to do with Japanese arrogance. For example; At the Shotokan Karate International world championships in 1983, in Tokyo, Aidan Trimble won Openweight Kumite. Do you know who Aidan Trimble is? I should be training with him on Monday His dojo is just a short walk from my room.

I think of it this way; if I'm willing to spend a good £45 on a pair of trousers and a t-shirt then why not the same amount of money for a gi? Which is the price for the silver tournament gi give or take. If a white diamond is subsidised I'll get that.

Mmmm, thanks, only a week and my part of the competition will be over. Just need to get my last bit of training in. Luckily I've got some stuff to work on so I imagine I'll be training a fair bit for the next week.
    OMG I have his books!!!!!! I relearned my kata from them!!!! AHHH thats gonna be sooo awesome! Have fun, or by the time I've posted more like I hope you had fun. I've well jealous!

4th dan is ridiculous, but my sensei is a legend in Scotland for his ability to get discipline out of children and giving them a wide understanding of actually what they're doing. So I know several young black belts that are actually amazing and their knowledge is vast. But then one of the local clubs of a different styles had their kids change to ours, they were supposed black belts, which were just handed to them in class one day, they were good but they weren't black standard. So I've seen it both ways and think its unfair to say no kids should be black belts, they should just have to work harder to show they understand. Take a written test like some places do or something

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 13, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.