The Student Room Group

IB students at an unfair disadvantage to A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hslakaal

Also, don't neg me for this, but IB seems much more easier, at least in my college. The IB guys have bloody 3 hour breaks, not to mention the normal lunch breaks!

I have 1 free a week, and half of my lunch breaks are spent doing extra lessons!
This is well known.

And a 5 is equivalent to a C? Nonsense it's a high B MINIMUM. Most universities do not understand how truly hard the IB is. Or (as one university admitted to my school when I did it 3 years ago) they are aware and like it because they can sieve out the best candidates (Cambridge are notorious for 42 point offers - an A*AA is NOTHING NEAR the amount of work that is)
Reply 42
Original post by cloudcatcher
My head of year reported Imperial to the IB office so its like a fudge you to them without having to actually boycott them or something :L

And tbh, predicted grades are a load of baloney, my school got really bad IB grades last year (it was the 1st year) and lowered all our predicteds so I've now applied to Cambridge with 557 predicted in my highers which obviously doesn't meet their entry requirements. But I only found out just before I applied so I just went ahead anyway. So I'm basically trying to say as long as your grades aren't massively far off Bristols apply anyway, you know seizing the day and all that jazz. Everyone needs one aspirational choice and then just make sure your others are more realistic.

Good luck with your application :smile:

The problem is, Bristol ask for 36 with 6,6,6. I was predicted a 5 for Bio and 6 for Psych, but our chemistry teacher last year was abysmal, and predicted most of us 2's... then he was sacked... but that's the only Chemistry prediction I have currently :/
Even so, my GCSE's (5A's and 5B's) aren't quite up to scratch either :frown:

But likewise, our college didn't do great last year since it was the first year, and there was a whole thing about them predicting way too high, so perhaps we're being underpredicted now...

Wow, 557 is still high!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by robawalsh
The problem is, Bristol ask for 36 with 6,6,6. I was predicted a 5 for Bio and 6 for Psych, but our chemistry teacher last year was abysmal, and predicted most of us 2's... then he was sacked... but that's the only Chemistry prediction I have currently :/
Even so, my GCSE's (5A's and 5B's) aren't quite up to scratch either :frown:

But likewise, our college didn't do great last year since it was the first year, and there was a whole thing about them predicting way too high, so perhaps we're being underpredicted now...

Wow, 557 is still high!

I'm pretty sure all my teachers are just making up predicted grades as they go along. But if you're really unhappy with any of them, talk to whoever writes your reference and they can actually change any of the predicted grades if there is a justified reason. My english teacher told me as some sort of stupid joke that he was predicting me a 6 when I needed a 7 to get my total up to Cambridge standard and so I freaked out and went to my IBC and she told me she could change it. Turns out he had actually predicted me a 7 so I threw a minor tantrum for no reason at all :colondollar:

I know 557 is pretty high and I have the overall required point scores predicted (677 in standards and 3 in core) but I don't know if Cambridge will see the 2 higher 5s and be like grumble grumble grumble REJECTION!

And as well, if your predicted grades stop you applying anywhere but you then get higher grades on results day you can always reapply. I've heard of someone who was rejected by Oxford because their predicted grades weren't great but then got really good a levels, reapplied and was accepted so there is still hope for us all :smile:
Original post by robawalsh
The course I want to apply for is Neuroscience at Bristol. They have recently reviewed their entry requirements, and they now ask for 6,6,6 at HL, yet only AAB-ABB for A-levels.

Looking at the UCAS points awarded, that would mean that an IB student would need 330 points in HL alone, plus 40 points or so for each SL subject, so that's 450 points plus the additional requirements (TOK, EE, CAS).

If universities went on UCAS points alone, then IB students would be at an advantage, however, they ask for "35 points with 6,6,6 at Higher level".

35 IB points = 501 UCAS points.
So assuming you got 6,6,6 at HL (330 UCAS points), in order to get that 35, you'd also need at least 5,5,4 at SL - and that's assuming you get all 3 points for TOK, EE and CAS). So what they're asking for equates to at least around 650 points total. That's NOT 501, as stated for a 35.

For A-level, they ask for AAB = 340 UCAS points.

Statistically, the amount of students that get 6,6,6 is a lot lower than those that get AAA, assuming that a 6 equates to an A (which in fact it doesn't, a 6 is slightly harder to achieve than an A).

If my calculations are wrong somewhere, or I have missed something, please let me know.

It does not seem fair that IB students, who have chosen to take a more challenging course, are expected more of and are given harder offers than A-level students, who are given lower offers.

The issue with your argument is that you have quantified the differences between IB and A-Levels purely by comparing the different UCAS tariffs. Using the same logic, you can end up that deducing that three musical instrument grade 8 (distinction)s, an A* in media studies A level and a horse knowledge and care award from the British Horse Society is equivalent to A*A*A in Further Maths, Maths and Chemistry (with A levels). UCAS points are ignored by most decent universities because they totally remove the nuances of each qualification - for example, the number you gave (650 points) equates to A*A*A*A*a at A level - a set of grades with which you'd likely be disappointed if you didn't have a place at Oxbridge, and which places you very definitely in the top percent or two of students.

Bristol, Imperial etc deal with IB students every year - and can base their admissions policies on the results of previous years. For this reason I view your argument along the same lines as my friend who asked me 'Why are there no universities with amazing reputations that have low entry standards?'
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by hslakaal
To be honest, I don't think IB students are at a disadvantage.

IB => more common in America, meant more for general apps
A-lvls => specific to UK, more than others.

I feel your pain, but you can't blame schools from preferring the local curriculum more than IB, especially since the vast majority of people take a-lvls.

Also, don't neg me for this, but IB seems much more easier, at least in my college. The IB guys have bloody 3 hour breaks, not to mention the normal lunch breaks!

But best of luck in your applications. :smile:

Maybe its just ur college but typical: i have like 1 hour break every alternate day and my lunch breaks are taken up for tutorials/extra help. Year 1 may be easier but year 2 tends to be hell.
Its not that easy. :s-smilie:
Reply 46
I stumbled across this forum on google and well, this is my view.

I moved from a state secondary to a private 6th form college to study the IB, basically due to it's reputation. I had 9 A*'s, was predicted 39 and applied for medicine. I was rejected by all 4 of my medical schools (not the IB's fault). Then I recieved a 35 in my final results and had to throw medicine out of the window.

I decided to completely change my mind, and go for a humanities course. One of the beauties of the IB was that I could do this with Chem, Bio and History at Higher Level.

However I have met nearly none of the entry requirements of any Russell Group Universities, and I worked really hard. When I think about it I am really proud of my results, but then I look at what my friends from state school have achieved and feel like I have failed. And it feels like IB entry requirements are really unfair.

And yes, I base this unfairness on the UCAS points, and if you added up a load of qualifications in performance studies, horse sportsmanship and home economics you could get the same quantity. But I studied 6 academically traditional subjects, not like these courses. Yes some UCAS points derive from CAS but the Welsh Baccalaureate has many of the same qualities and is met warmly by most Universities.

I chose to study the IB best using the information I was given at the time. Do I agree that the UCAS points are slightly exaggerated, yes maybe. But it frustrates me no end when I see written in prospectuses, A-level (360 UCAS points/AAA), IB (36, 666 at HL).

I feel so much better now, it was almost like therapy!
(edited 12 years ago)
I believe so

By UCAS points I would've been able to apply to York, but they require 36 :frown:

And not the mention A-levels people get to choose exactly what they want to study and does not have to bother with e.g. maths

- an IB student who did not choose IB; local education system worse than IB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending