|
|
|
|
\/ :frown: :bawling:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
My m8 got rejected with 3A's this year but his sis got in last year with ABB. so who knows. Check the criteria on the site. If u come from a crap school, parents didnt go Uni and live in Scotland, essentially ur in. I'm two out of 3.....but didnt mention this on my form. clever.
Reply 3
That was a silly generalisation.
Clarence
That was a silly generalisation.

Well, Edinburgh is one of few top unis actually keen in increasing the number of said minorities in its student body. I'm predicted AAAA and was rejected, but then I'm from Oxford...
Nothing yet re offer/rejection, just a confirmation of my application yesterday.
Reply 6
It's weird because I've noticed that a few people on this site have offers for English Lit. already, so I was just wondering why they're keeping the rest of us waiting!
Reply 7
Because were in the *maybe* pile.
Clarence
Because were in the *maybe* pile.

You're Scottish - youre in.
Reply 9
I don't live in scotland, i live in london!!
hmm.. Bad luck, rejection coming your way :biggrin:
Reply 11
:rolleyes:
Reply 12
do you think it matters that much about if your scottish or english?Also the whole state school/private school thing is it really that much of a factor, or is just the media making a fuss? In both cases I suppose i would be of benefit to "positive discrimination"

The admissions tutour at the edinburgh openday said that they definatly take into account if your parents went to uni or not, although I don't remember filling in anything to suggest they had or otherwise, apart from saying my "occupational background" was physiotherapy :s-smilie:
Reply 13
i have an offer for joint history and english
katt_47
do you think it matters that much about if your scottish or english?Also the whole state school/private school thing is it really that much of a factor, or is just the media making a fuss? In both cases I suppose i would be of benefit to "positive discrimination"

What are you trying to say? I don't think it matters whether you are English or Scottish, but Edinburgh obviously do...
katt_47

The admissions tutour at the edinburgh openday said that they definatly take into account if your parents went to uni or not, although I don't remember filling in anything to suggest they had or otherwise, apart from saying my "occupational background" was physiotherapy :s-smilie:

That occupational background thing is open to creativity though, it's a bit silly...my dad runs a building company but started off as a plain builder, didn't get a single GCSE...so my teacher told me to put 'builder' down...seems a bit wrong...but I did as I was told! :rolleyes:
Reply 16
OppressedMass
What are you trying to say? I don't think it matters whether you are English or Scottish, but Edinburgh obviously do...

I thought people would sorta understand that I meant-does it get taken into consideration when applying to english at edinburgh-considering it was in a thread entitled "offers for English Literature" in the Edinburgh Uni forum.
Reply 17
Do the universtities actually see the personal information such as parent's occupation? I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that it was purely for UCAS social/demographic statistics.

With regard to being first generation to attend university the application guidance notes ask that this is mentioned either in the PS or school reference.
Reply 18
Emmy18
My m8 got rejected with 3A's this year but his sis got in last year with ABB. so who knows. Check the criteria on the site. If u come from a crap school, parents didnt go Uni and live in Scotland, essentially ur in. I'm two out of 3.....but didnt mention this on my form. clever.

Ok - I'm not applying for Eng Lit but I fulfill all three of that criteria.

1) Crap school
2) Parents didn't go to Uni
3) Most definitely live in Scotland

Alas, there is hope...
OppressedMass
hmm.. Bad luck, rejection coming your way :biggrin:[/Q

Don't be mean!

Clarence, I'm sure if they were going to reject you on that basis they would have done so already, and they haven't, so don't worry!

Latest

Trending

Trending