The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Entangled
If it's a laugh you want:

Haha, brilliant :biggrin:

The nervous ticks, high pitched voice, and repeating the answers are the exact kinds of things I do when I'm nervous. :colondollar: ...

....Alongside the tendency to say some incredibly stupid things.
My friend got mixed up between "Patients" and "Patience" when the interviewer asked him:
"Do you think patience is required to be an effective doctor?"
"Well, yes, we need someone to cure! Otherwise we'd be out of a job!"
Interviewer was like :lolwut:
Original post by dunnicare
He was trying to be smug/cocky.

I got that, but the fact that all degree courses start at roughly the same time makes it even more ridiculous!
Mmmhmm, it's a good book about A+E

also lol, "Heeey everybody!"

"Hi Dr.Nick!"
Reply 44
Original post by Mr. Approachable

Original post by Mr. Approachable
My friend got mixed up between "Patients" and "Patience" when the interviewer asked him:
"Do you think patience is required to be an effective doctor?"
"Well, yes, we need someone to cure! Otherwise we'd be out of a job!"
Interviewer was like :lolwut:

You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!
That made my day! I'll come back to this tomorrow and +ve rate it!
Original post by xChrista
You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!
That made my day! I'll come back to this tomorrow and +ve rate it!

Darn! That little message keeps popping up wherever I go. O_o
I told my interviewer that two negative charges would attract each other. I then saw their faces, laughed it off and carried on.

Two minutes later I told them that as they were positive charges this time they WOULD attract each other... Slightly harder to laugh off...

How did I get in again?
I accepted a glass of water, bombed an interview and when leaving insisted that I still keep the glass of water. They must have thought I was a maniac after the whole fandango.

At another interview I said that I know how fat people feel as I'm fat myself...ahem.

Needless to say, whenever at one of these blasted interviews verbal diarrhoea escapes and as yet have not been successful. I think I may take some Valium and calm my nerves (I joke I'd probably be more weird!)
Reply 48
Some guy wearing a tux.... Such a cutie but yeah, was odd :')
for all the people who have interviews, this may provide some light humour ahah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ECqP9KMqtI
I was asked why I wanted to go to this particular uni and I couldn't for the life of me think of anything (turns out I don't study there now so that says it all!) my mind went totally blank so I said something along the lines of ''I've never been down South, I'm a Northerner - it'd be nice to see a different part of the world. I've never even been on plane" - the looks on their faces were priceless - a mixture of confusion and trying desperately not to laugh. One of them did outright laugh. I don't know what I was trying to say. Then I forgot my scarf and hat in the interview room and only realised just as I was about to get in a taxi so I had to walk back in about 10 mins later and said something like "I'm so clumsy, I do this all the time" - great way to convince someone you ought to be doctor.

Suffice to say, I'm not a medical student but I've made the correct decision with regard to my academic pursuits - for everyone concerned!
I accidentally implied that I was an alcoholic at my Peninsula interview. :ahee:

Still got the offer (eventually), so obviously it isn't a disqualifying factor for them.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I accidentally implied that I was an alcoholic at my Peninsula interview. :ahee:

Still got the offer (eventually), so obviously it isn't a disqualifying factor for them.

LOL :laugh:

Erm... how? :tongue:
Reply 53
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Thats a bit of a silly question. Slightly ignorant if you ask me. I know I wouldnt pray as opposed to treat a paitent.

Its a very smart question if they get a different answer to that though. Vast swathes of the population are happy to ignore evidence placed before them (think: alternative medicine, prolonged MMR scare) - such people have to be identified and not allowed to be doctors.

Original post by Agent Smirnoff
They ask you such sciencey/medically related questions like that in interview?

All Oxbridge interviews are like that.
hmm...well

I did end up saying "I don't know" to about half the questions in my interview....

and I may have slightly insulted physiotherapists by saying they only work on patients to help rehabilitation and generally for long term injury recovery which is boring and I don't wanna do that.....hence why I don't wanna be a physio...

still got an offer though and I'm there now :biggrin:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
LOL :laugh:

Erm... how? :tongue:

They asked me about ways people deal with stress and I went off on a wonderful little tangent about using alcohol as a coping mechanism. Soon after I realised that the question was actually designed to find out how I dealt with stress myself, and that I had been talking about drinking yourself to sleep in the evenings. I then proceeded to backtrack my little arse off.
Reply 56
Original post by Rob da Mop
I told my interviewer that two negative charges would attract each other. I then saw their faces, laughed it off and carried on.

Two minutes later I told them that as they were positive charges this time they WOULD attract each other... Slightly harder to laugh off...

How did I get in again?

I accidentally blurted out I was pro-murder during an ethical question on Euthanasia after being put into a corner but I still got in though. No idea how that happened. :holmes:

Maybe Newcastle loves murderers?
Original post by such_a_lady
This is terrifying me :lol: I'm one of those people who jabbers away in tense situations, and I'm so nervous that if I get an interview for German, I'll refer to my A2 set text as "Ich fühl mich so scheiße scheiße" (the book is called "Ich fühl mich so fifty fifty", meaning "I feel so 50-50"...I make a pun and call it "I feel so sh*tty sh*tty because it's a terrible book imo) because that's how I refer to it to my friends, or say something is "geil" or "hammer" (two really slangy words, the first one also can mean "horny" :sigh:) ... quite scared now.

I also jabber away in stressful situations,my german oral exam last year was a little shaky at the start because I was so nervous,I spoke far too quickly. I really want to read that book,my class are doing Die Velorene Ehre der Katharina Blum instead. Bah.
Reply 58
Original post by blacklistmember
hey, i think ive heard of this. wasnt it an oxbridge interview?

haha yeah it was at Cambridge Queen's college :P
At my UCL interview, I had to expand on my BMAT essay(which was whether we needed medical Schools, or whether we should learn on the job- at least something on that line.) more like advantages and disadvantages type.

I was rather nervous and had just got a rejection from another uni the day before and so was in a must-win situation, I was trying to tell them that If we didn't have medical school training, people would select it for the wrong reasons, since you will be able to earn money from year 1,(atm most students don't do medicine unless they are really really motivated, since it requires 5/6 years of hard work and no pay) whereas if we were to train on the job it will motivate more students for the wrong reason. I was trying to tell them that as a disadvantage, but being nervous I didn't make it very clear,and left the impression that it was an advantage( basically meaning I'm after money)

when I noticed my mistake, we had moved onto the next question, and I made the foolish mistake of not trying to go back and make it clear to them.

Got rejected, I had thought everything else had gone quite well, so that mistake might have been a deciding factor.

So if you too, get into such a state, explain yourself. Anyhow got an offer from another medical school, so no lasting damages.(at least that is what I say to convince myself.:smile: )

Latest

Trending

Trending