The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

an Siarach
LOL. Even by the standards of those wastrels the SSP this is ridiculous. You couldnt make it up.

I remember when Tommy Sheridan ran for rector of St Andrews. It was rumoured that the Vice-Principal, whilst showing him around the University said, "Whilst we have a lot of railings in this town, Mr Sheridan, chains are in somewhat sort supply I'm afraid."

Gotta love the SSP.
Reply 41
dave777
It is even being debated in the Scottish Parliament :eek:

Not it's not. It was allegedly being considered to be put as a motion by the SSP before the Scottish Parliament. Early Day Motions are not debated, merely signed up to by whatever members want to indicate their support. Even this stage doesn't appear to be happening.

That said, the Scottish Parliament is a pile of **** and it'd be no more a waste of time than 90% of the business that goes through there.

SamTheMan
The Scots were not hostile to the existence of the parliament: I think almost 3/4 were in favour of the creation of the parliament. It's in Wales that Blair struggled to get the idea of a National Assembly through. It's only recently that they've actually been given actual useful powers.

Yes, and barely anyone is satisified with what the Scottish Parliament has done since 1999.

ChemistBoy
I remember when Tommy Sheridan ran for rector of St Andrews. It was rumoured that the Vice-Principal, whilst showing him around the University said, "Whilst we have a lot of railings in this town, Mr Sheridan, chains are in somewhat sort supply I'm afraid."

Gotta love the SSP.

Colin Fox was up at my uni a couple of months back.

I was seriously considering throwing eggs.
LibertineNorth
Oh, didn't notice that in my skimmery. I don't have much of a head for clap-trap really.

The EU flag is semi-religious though, isn't it? The twelve stars... something springs up in my memory.

Anyway, we already have a perfectly good flag that represents great ideals and doesn't, of itself, have religious connotations - that flag is the Union Flag.

I remember my old boss (who is an MEP) saying that it has a Catholic link, which is fuel on the fire for those small number of people who say the EU is a Catholic conspiracy.

--------------

Jangliss
I have voted yes because it's a ridiculous issue and what a piece of cloth representing a geographical location looks like doesn't bother me in the least.

You don't seem to realise that while it may not matter to you, it DOES matter to millions of other people. If you believe in freedom I fail to see how you can support the enforced removal of a perfectly good flag in favour of a politically motivated stunt.
Greyhound02

You don't seem to realise that while it may not matter to you, it DOES matter to millions of other people. If you believe in freedom I fail to see how you can support the enforced removal of a perfectly good flag in favour of a politically motivated stunt.

So you think that the removal of flags is more important and pressing thanfor example the plight of oppressed people?
ForeverIsMyName
So you think that the removal of flags is more important and pressing thanfor example the plight of oppressed people?

Your answer doesn't really make sense. Just because I think it's important that people's freedom to fly the flag of their country is important, why would this impact on how important other issues are, namely oppressed people? This issue and the issue of oppressed people aren't linked, I fail to see what you're getting at.
Of course it makes sense; Which is more important, the plight of the oppressed peoples of the world collectively, or the government banning a flag in certain areas which have histories of racial tension?
ForeverIsMyName
Of course it makes sense; Which is more important, the plight of the oppressed peoples of the world collectively, or the government banning a flag in certain areas which have histories of racial tension?

I think I see what you're getting at now, it wasn't that clear in your original post. Of course the plight of oppressed people is more important. How will banning banning the current Scottish flag reduce racial tension for 'oppressed people'? Surely it will INCREASE racial tension because the majority (the Scottish ethnic group) will feel persecuted in the most blatant way i.e. the removal of the most obvious symbol of their ethnic group, and this is likely to be enhanced in areas were tensions are highest. Given that banning the flag is a purely symbolic gesture that doesn't give people better employment prospects, housing, education, healthcare and generally better neighbourhoods, I'm curious as to how you think this will help anyone!

I'm also interested in why do you assume ethnic minorities in Scotland are necessarily 'oppressed people'? The minorities in question could be: first/ second/ third, etc generation economic migrants (not oppressed) or illegal immigrants (again, not oppressed people). Anyway, even if most Scottish ethnic minorities had experienced oppression, how would changing the Scottish flag actually help them? Surely if they are oppressed and want to become part of a democratic country, they would willingly accept the Scottish flag as it is, especially considering there's nothing offensive about it and not really any different in symbolism to any other national flag?
Greyhound02
I think I see what you're getting at now, it wasn't that clear in your original post. Of course the plight of oppressed people is more important. How will banning banning the current Scottish flag reduce racial tension for 'oppressed people'? Surely it will INCREASE racial tension because the majority (the Scottish ethnic group) will feel persecuted in the most blatant way i.e. the removal of the most obvious symbol of their ethnic group, and this is likely to be enhanced in areas were tensions are highest. Given that banning the flag is a purely symbolic gesture that doesn't give people better employment prospects, housing, education, healthcare and generally better neighbourhoods, I'm curious as to how you think this will help anyone!

I'm also interested in why do you assume ethnic minorities in Scotland are necessarily 'oppressed people'? The minorities in question could be: first/ second/ third, etc generation economic migrants (not oppressed) or illegal immigrants (again, not oppressed people). Anyway, even if most Scottish ethnic minorities had experienced oppression, how would changing the Scottish flag actually help them? Surely if they are oppressed and want to become part of a democratic country, they would willingly accept the Scottish flag as it is, especially considering there's nothing offensive about it and not really any different in symbolism to any other national flag?

I'm not claiming there are any oppressed people in Scotland, at all. I just think the flag issue is a complete non-issue when there are far more important issues around?

My problems were with firstly, the semantics of Dave777s post. Can he not start any thread without referencing the constant onslught of immigrants against white people? It would seem no. His mental age is far too little for these forums.

I agree people should be able to fly the flag on their own property, totally 100%. However, don't you think there are far more pressing issues at hand?
dave777

If anyone does not like Scotland or her flag then pi** off and live somewhere else :cool:

Oh that is really cool :rolleyes:
ForeverIsMyName
I agree people should be able to fly the flag on their own property, totally 100%. However, don't you think there are far more pressing issues at hand?

I agree with most of your argument, but when you say there are more important things to think about it sounds like the excuse the sick French government gave when people protested against the headscarf ban. Because yes, there are more important things at hand - so why stir up a load of pointless rubbish by banning the flag in the first place? It is mad - nearly as mad as the headscarf ban. And I'm not say "mad" as in "ok, confusing... but whatever", I'm saying "mad" as in "why?why?why? why the hell? please tell us. I don't want this accepted automatically, when it is ridiculous".
Therefore, if the scottish want to express their heritage they should.
But people who say stuff like "If they don't like it they should go back to wherever they came from..." are just stupid idiots.

Thankyou.
You consider the headscarf ban more pressing than the random confiscation of land in Zimbabwe from a tyrant?
The Basilisk
But people who say stuff like "If they don't like it they should go back to wherever they came from..." are just stupid idiots.

Not really. What right does anyone have to move to a country when they intend to totally reject what makes that nation and the heritage of its native people?
The Basilisk
I agree with most of your argument, but when you say there are more important things to think about it sounds like the excuse the sick French government gave when people protested against the headscarf ban. Because yes, there are more important things at hand - so why stir up a load of pointless rubbish by banning the flag in the first place? It is mad - nearly as mad as the headscarf ban.

You clearly don't understand much about the French school system and have just picked up a bit of biased media coverage and thought that that could allow you to throw a few nasty comments. You just picked up on what you wanted to pick up on. There's a very strong principle in the French school system called laicism/laïcité. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laicity where religion and primary and secondary schooling are totally separate. There are Catholic schools but they are penalised partially by the state.

When it came to deciding on allowing the headscarfs to stay (through tolerance) or sticking to a principle (which is hardly unadmirable!), they chose to stick to a historical principle. In universities though, headscarves are allowed.

Sure, we can all be tolerant in the name of political-correctness and give up our values to do so but is it worth it? In my opinion, that's how tyrannies appear: because people just back down in the name of tolerance and political-correctness and forget their principles. In such circumstances, it's easy for a group to take advantage of this.
ArthurOliver
No. The ethnic majority in Scotland are the Scots. Ethnic minorities are by definition non-Scottish. You'll have less sucess with the Scots in attempting to destroy their national identity than with the English A. The clear desire of the government is to make the ethnic identity of indigenous British peoples purely racial--Whites against the rest--is that your intention too?

I'm not trying to destroy anyone's national identity, but why does it have to be so exclusive? How long does it take before you become part of it?

Don't white south Africans count as African? I'd say so.

--------------

ForeverIsMyName
You consider the headscarf ban more pressing than the random confiscation of land in Zimbabwe from a tyrant?

She didn't ssay that. She said that having more pressing issue is no excuse for making frankly pointless bans.

--------------

an Siarach
Not really. What right does anyone have to move to a country when they intend to totally reject what makes that nation and the heritage of its native people?

That's a sensible comment.

Unlike 'if people don't like it they can move away' (dave777). Does that mean anyone who has a problem with any aspect of the countrry has no right to live in it? Then it'd be almost impossible for anyone to live in any country in the world.
Scheherazade

She didn't ssay that. She said that having more pressing issue is no excuse for making frankly pointless bans.

Agreed. However you missed my point. My point is that there are more pressing issues at hand, and therefore dealing with them is of utmost importance and the flag issue pales in comparison, especially when idiots such as Dave777 base all their ideology on foolish Daily-Mail-induced reactionary politics.
fair enough.
ArthurOliver
No. The ethnic majority in Scotland are the Scots. Ethnic minorities are by definition non-Scottish. You'll have less sucess with the Scots in attempting to destroy their national identity than with the English A. The clear desire of the government is to make the ethnic identity of indigenous British peoples purely racial--Whites against the rest--is that your intention too?

Nope. The ethnic majority in Scotland is Anglo-Scottish and has been since at least the Reformation.
ForeverIsMyName
I'm not claiming there are any oppressed people in Scotland, at all. I just think the flag issue is a complete non-issue when there are far more important issues around?

My problems were with firstly, the semantics of Dave777s post. Can he not start any thread without referencing the constant onslught of immigrants against white people? It would seem no. His mental age is far too little for these forums.

In reality, I accept that the probability of Scotland's flag actually being replaced is very small BUT unless good people with common sense speak up, it may well happen. I realise the SSP are a joke party with little (if any) influence (thank heavens!). BUT I think this issue is important because it is a microcosm of other big issues: the rise of political correctness over common sense, suppression of patriotism, enforced multiculturalism, etc. Of course there are many other issues worth talking about: health, education, crime and so on, I'm happy to talk about them as well, but because I choose to get involved with this topic that has no bearing on how important I think other issues are.
Yeah fair play. Sometimes I feel though that this issue is overly-played on by nationalist groups as well as some of the more liberal groups.
Reply 59
an Siarach

Surely you must accept the right of people to derogate from the national culture as a fundamental part of liberty?

Ie, if I was to suddenly decide that I didn't like haggis and preferred to adopt African dress and culture, surely that would be fine? Why the double standard for someone who 'came from somewhere else'?

Latest

Trending

Trending