The Student Room Group

How have the number mickey mouse degrees increased? Where did they originate from?

As it says in the title.

In addition, do you think that degrees have been downgraded over the past few years as a result of the introduction of them?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think the government has much say on what courses there are avaliable from universities
The 50% target probably did encourage the expantion of 'MM degrees' somewhat!
No, Labour didn't make these degrees or devise them, the universities did.

Labour made it easier for more people to get into degrees so naturally more people are taking up these stupid degrees as now more people can afford to do so and hence a lot more people who normally wouldn't do these degrees are.

Please for the love of god, don't be so clueless.

You really think Tony Blair sat with his cabinet writing up a Travel and Tourism degree syllabus?

Edit: This response may appear not to make sense due to editing in the original post.

The original post asked where did they come from and something about why Labour made them or something along those lines.
(edited 12 years ago)

lol, embarrasing university.
In response to your edit, yes, these mickey mouse degrees are devaluing all degrees by making them appear worthless.

Everybody these days has one, however some people have it in events management whilst others in real subjects like history . (Neg me all you like the truth hurts).

Labour suggested planes about cutting all these crap unis and degrees out slowly but I doubt it'll happen.

Leave it 10-15 years and wait for the studies which show that those with MM degrees are still doing the same jobs as those without one at all.
Reply 8
Original post by Agenda Suicide
No, Labour didn't make these degrees or devise them, the universities did.

Labour made it easier for more people to get into degrees so naturally more people are taking up these stupid degrees as now more people can afford to do so and hence a lot more people who normally wouldn't do these degrees are.

Please for the love of god, don't be so clueless.

You really think Tony Blair sat with his cabinet writing up a Travel and Tourism degree syllabus?

I'm not stupid enough to think that! >.<
Original post by Gengar_1500
I suspect Labour has something to do with it, after trying to get 50% of the population into tertiary education thus launching useless degree courses? I'm not 100% if my statement is true, but do correct me if I'm not..

EDIT: Do you think that degrees have been downgraded over the past few years? Will the time come that all mickey mouse degrees will be scrapped?

this is probably the positive side to £9000 tuition fees - people being less inclined to blow that much money on useless degrees.
Original post by Gengar_1500
I'm not stupid enough to think that! >.<

You asked if they launched these degree courses and if they come from Labour, forgive my confusion but that's pretty unclear if you didn't mean it.
Reply 11
In response to your edit, yes, these mickey mouse degrees are devaluing all degrees by making them appear worthless.

Everybody these days has one, however some people have it in events management whilst others in real subjects like history . (Neg me all you like the truth hurts).

Labour suggested planes about cutting all these crap unis and degrees out slowly but I doubt it'll happen.

Leave it 10-15 years and wait for the studies which show that those with MM degrees are still doing the same jobs as those without one at all.

I know, everytime I see a degree such as "BSc Turfgrass Science" I have felt at times with the amount of strange degrees that are being introduced these are beginning to downgrade the value of a degree..
Reply 12
You asked if they launched these degree courses and if they come from Labour, forgive my confusion but that's pretty unclear if you didn't mean it.

It's okay, don't worry; I think the title should be "How have the number mickey mouse degrees increased?" Looking back it did sound a bit daft of what I said. :smile:

Feels embarrassed about my uni having that kind of course! At least not all the courses at Staffs are that bad :smile:
Original post by LonelyTimeLord
Feels embarrassed about my uni having that kind of course! At least not all the courses at Staffs are that bad :smile:

:biggrin: Althought the course does appear to have been dropped... s'not too bad
its the free market, the free market will meet the needs of any individual. If you are interested in golf you will get golf management studies!. The free market never fails to meet demand but overall it could fail like it has done with so many grads unemployed. Further education was without a doubt encouraged and the free market filled that demand.
Reply 16
Disneyland. :ahee:
TBF im slightly concerned that the politics department at The University of Leeds offers video game studies as a module http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201112&M=PIED-3810
Original post by Member737,514
:biggrin: Althought the course does appear to have been dropped... s'not too bad

A tiny bit of research would show this story is a silly one, it was one part of a Sports/Social Psychology Module, not a degree, Google Professor Cashmore.

What about Harry Potter at Durham, much more current?
Reply 19
Original post by dukeofgrove
TBF im slightly concerned that the politics department at The University of Leeds offers video game studies as a module http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201112&M=PIED-3810

Oh.my.days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending