The Student Room Group

Is Computing A 'Soft' Subject?

Scroll to see replies

What did you do for your A-Levels?
Original post by Ferrari_1996
OK thanks. Did you drop a subject or did you do all 4 at A2 level?

I think I'm leaning towards computing.

I dropped chemistry because I found it quite hard and wasn't really my thing. Most unis want a chemistry a-level to do a biology degree, but my one didn't :cool:

How many A-levels you can take seems to depend on the school. My school allowed no more than 3 at A2, but my sister, who was at a grammar school, did 6 ASs and 4 A2s.
(edited 12 years ago)
I need a taster sessions for each subject to decide what I want to do. God, why am I so indecisive?
I guess I'll do Computing because it's something new. And I'm not the best when It comes to memory so I think I'll do Computing! Can you change your mind when you go to sixth form (In case I decide computing isn't my thing)?
Reply 64
I'm in a big, fat, and juicy dilemma. Shall I take Biology or Computing (OCR)?

I don't really get what more you want people to say...? We can't decide for you!
Sorry, I know people can't decide for me, and I'm not forcing anybody to decide for me. I'm just asking for people's opinions.
A-levels are important and I don't want to make a mistake when it comes to subject picking because I will be stuck with atleast 3 of those subjects for 2 years.

Also, the subjects I do at A-level will affect what I can do at uni so I need to choose the right subjects. The reason I'm having a hard time choosing what subjects I want to do is because I don't know what degree I want to do at university.
(edited 12 years ago)
I live in Birmingham, which universities are recommended?
I need to apply for the Sixth Forms. Shall I do it now or later. I'll apply for Solihull Sixth Form and JCC. If both Sixth Forms accept me shall I choose Solihull Sixth Form? Solihull Sixth Form is the better Sixth Form, right?
Reply 69

I need to apply for the Sixth Forms. Shall I do it now or later. I'll apply for Solihull Sixth Form and JCC. If both Sixth Forms accept me shall I choose Solihull Sixth Form? Solihull Sixth Form is the better Sixth Form, right?

Don't get your hopes up just yet. They may not even accept you this late. Call them up now and talk to them, although since its 4PM they may be very busy therefore call them up first thing tomorrow morning.
What!? I'm late???? Isn't the deadline 30th March 2012?
Are you feeling alright?
I'm in year 11 ATM.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Not at all. It's not quite up there with English Literature or Physics when it comes to uni admissions, sure, but it's certainly not frowned upon in the slightest either... and as someone who did both Biology and Computing at A Level, I can vouch for Computing being the "harder" of the two courses, especially in the second year. (Whereas Biology just continued to be the same old crock of **** for a memory test)
Ok thank you for your input. Do you think I should do Computing instead of Biology?
Reply 75
Ok thank you for your input. Do you think I should do Computing instead of Biology?

Personally? I do; just make absolutely sure that Biology is in no way relevant to whatever you plan on doing at university.
Original post by March
Personally? I do; just make absolutely sure that Biology is in no way relevant to whatever you plan on doing at university.

OK
Original post by phx
Don't get your hopes up just yet. They may not even accept you this late. Call them up now and talk to them, although since its 4PM they may be very busy therefore call them up first thing tomorrow morning.

No he's applying for next year..... he's not seeking late admission. So hes got a lot of time.
I guess I'll do Computing because it's something new. And I'm not the best when It comes to memory so I think I'll do Computing! Can you change your mind when you go to sixth form (In case I decide computing isn't my thing)?

Solihull dont let you change once you've started, no matter how much you hate a subject. You'd have to change before end of March, because after March they make timetables, and see how big classes will be etc.
Original post by abzy1234
JC ain't a bad college mate, I don't go there, but a good number of friends who do; also it's a got a better reputation surely than Solihull. Also, it's got higher points average per student. Ofsted also gave it a 1, wheras Solihull got 2. Also Solihull seems more vocational than academia, so OP, considering the A Levels you're doing; choose carefully.

I agree though with Grammer sixth forms, I quit one a couple of weeks back. Yeah, OP if you're also looking at social elements, head for a college.

Computing isn't seen as a soft subject neccessary, it depends on what other subjects you're doing. As you're doing pure sciences, it'll look ok and keep your options open. Good luck. :smile:

Which grammar school did you drop out of mate?

Quick Reply

Latest