The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston 2012 Applicants Thread

Haven't seen one so I'd thought I might as well start one.

Course: Mathematics
Predicted Grades: AAAA
Grades Needed: AAB/ABB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied for English Language! Predicted AABB, entry requirements ABB.

Original post by postman pat
Haven't seen one so I'd thought I might as well start one.

Course: Mathematics
Predicted Grades: AAAA
Grades Needed: AAB/ABB

Those are impressive PGs! What made you choose Aston? Insurance?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by _Jazzie
I've applied for English Language! Predicted AABB, entry requirements ABB.

Those are impressive PGs! What made you choose Aston? Insurance?

I'm from Wolverhampton which is like 30 mins from Aston so I decided to go to the open day and fell in love with the place. It is my second choice out of 5 unis.
Reply 3
I'm from Wolverhampton which is like 30 mins from Aston so I decided to go to the open day and fell in love with the place. It is my second choice out of 5 unis.

Ooh, what's it like? I'm going to Birmingham tomorrow to see Birmingham uni (which I've also applied for) and Aston. I've seen Uni of B before, but I only discovered Aston existed a few weeks ago, so I've never even seen the campus. My brother went to Birmingham City though, and he says that the Aston campus isn't great, but from the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look too bad!

Which other unis have you applied to? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by _Jazzie
Ooh, what's it like? I'm going to Birmingham tomorrow to see Birmingham uni (which I've also applied for) and Aston. I've seen Uni of B before, but I only discovered Aston existed a few weeks ago, so I've never even seen the campus. My brother went to Birmingham City though, and he says that the Aston campus isn't great, but from the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look too bad!

Which other unis have you applied to? :smile:

Aston's pretty small and compact but I really liked it. It's right in the city center as well. For me an ideal location.

I'm applying for:

Uni of Birmingham
Aston
Uni of Reading
Uni of Liverpool
Uni of Leeds

What about you? Where you applying to?
Reply 5
Aston's pretty small and compact but I really liked it. It's right in the city center as well. For me an ideal location.

I'm applying for:

Uni of Birmingham
Aston
Uni of Reading
Uni of Liverpool
Uni of Leeds

What about you? Where you applying to?

Yeah, I love the idea of the city center location! I'm slightly concerned that Birmingham uni is quite far out. I want to be in a big bustling city :P

Applied for QMUL, Manchester (twice), Birmingham and Aston.

Really hoping for the London one, but I think I'd be happy with any!
Reply 6
Only people from outside Birmingham think Birmingham uni is better than Aston. The number of postgraduates that have defected from bham to aston is startling. I can only speak for the business school. But I think bham has a bit of a "jack of all trades, master of none" thing going on
Reply 7
I'm applying to do 'Business and Psychology' :smile:
Reply 8
I'm applying to do maths at aston, I wont even have 3 alevels. Atm I'm doing 2 a2's and 2 as subjects.
I'm predicted B's. On the website it says 'A suitable combination of two A Level and two AS Level subjects may be accepted'
Do I even have a chance?
I'm only applying because my mum is like forcing me to because she wants me to stay at home lol but it would be nice to know if I've got a chance or not. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by mia_x
I'm applying to do maths at aston, I wont even have 3 alevels. Atm I'm doing 2 a2's and 2 as subjects.
I'm predicted B's. On the website it says 'A suitable combination of two A Level and two AS Level subjects may be accepted'
Do I even have a chance?
I'm only applying because my mum is like forcing me to because she wants me to stay at home lol but it would be nice to know if I've got a chance or not. :smile:

Well it depends. What subjects are you doing? They don't aim to trick you :P If they say they're willing to consider people with two A2s and two ASs, then they will. Your AS subjects will count as an A2, so as long as it's equivalent to the entry requirements for maths (eg for BBB, you might need to get BBbb or BBac, or something).
So as long as you're doing "a suitable combination" of subjects, you should be considered as equally as everyone else! :smile:

And good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by _Jazzie
Well it depends. What subjects are you doing? They don't aim to trick you :P If they say they're willing to consider people with two A2s and two ASs, then they will. Your AS subjects will count as an A2, so as long as it's equivalent to the entry requirements for maths (eg for BBB, you might need to get BBbb or BBac, or something).
So as long as you're doing "a suitable combination" of subjects, you should be considered as equally as everyone else! :smile:

And good luck! :biggrin:

I'm doing As sociology and citizenship. Which has nothing to do with maths aha. Its what my college offered to let me pick up. -.-

Thanks for helping :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by mia_x
I'm doing As sociology and citizenship. Which has nothing to do with maths aha. Its what my college offered to let me pick up. -.-

Thanks for helping :smile:

They're not directly related to maths, but there might be some key transferable skills that they'll consider, like problem solving or logic. If in doubt, email them and ask. Or just go for it and see what happens :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by _Jazzie
They're not directly related to maths, but there might be some key transferable skills that they'll consider, like problem solving or logic. If in doubt, email them and ask. Or just go for it and see what happens :biggrin:

I guess so. If I even get an offer i'll be amazed lol. :P I'm not too worried because I know its abit out of my league but no harm trying aha. :smile:
Reply 13
i've got an offer from aston for BEng chemical engineering of BBB :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by tozzy
i've got an offer from aston for BEng chemical engineering of BBB :smile:

Ah, well done :smile: They haven't even sent me an acknowledgement! :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by mia_x
I guess so. If I even get an offer i'll be amazed lol. :P I'm not too worried because I know its abit out of my league but no harm trying aha. :smile:

Where else are you applying? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by _Jazzie
Ah, well done :smile: They haven't even sent me an acknowledgement! :s-smilie:

Thanx :biggrin:. am sure they will soon tho, when did u apply? mine was sent off on the 20th of october so that might be why.
Reply 17
Original post by _Jazzie
Where else are you applying? :smile:

Aberystwyth, hertfordshire, chester and wolves. :smile:

You? :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by tozzy
Thanx :biggrin:. am sure they will soon tho, when did u apply? mine was sent off on the 20th of october so that might be why.

31st October, so it's only been just over a week. How long after you applied did you get your offer from them? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by mia_x
Aberystwyth, hertfordshire, chester and wolves. :smile:

You? :biggrin:

QMUL, Manchester for two different courses and Birmingham!

Quick Reply

Latest