The Student Room Group

Noel Gallagher's 10 Greatest Bands of All Time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EcclesRose
Predictable

I think Oasis are quite easily one of the most over-rated bands of the past 25 years. I expected his solo stuff to be average as well, but I ended up eating my own words, its very good! Leaving Oasis was the best decision he ever made

Agreed.
Original post by seasons of wither
who really gives a toss about what noel gallagher thinks.

Well I'd hazard a guess at everyone in this thread seeing as his name is in the title...obviously you're the exception :wink:
Reply 42
please help me with my survey on 'classic' albums and songs of the 20th/21st century!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K32BJDP
Reply 43
I reckon he left off the manc bands because they would be too predictable, yet he still have a very generic list imo
Reply 44
The only really good band on that list is Pink Floyd. Late Beatles is also quite good in its own way, and exceptionally influential, but certainly the early Beatles was very mediocre. Much like Oasis.

The fact that The La's even make Noel Gallagher's top 1000 - let alone number 6 - is testament to the fact that the prick (who also cites Jonny Marr as his biggest influence (lol) and is a very unremarkable guitarist himself) knows nothing about music. Same goes for The Sex Pistols - a bunch of exceptionally untalented knobheads whose only purpose was to take the piss out of establishment (and progressive rock) instead of actually making good, talented, insightful music.

Most of the other bands on that list are also famous, yet generic and not particularly influential in comparison to The Beatles and Pink Floyd. Hell, most of them are nowhere near as influential for all music as the 'founding fathers' of metal and, in turn, most of its hugely diverse subgenres. But of course, Noel Gallagher is an unedcuated, untalented nasty piece of work who would not for one second see the talent and sheer musical diversity involved in playing metal. Millions of unheard of metal guitarists (including several of my personal friends) are so much more accomplished at playing their instruments than Noel Gallagher, and would have more insight and a balanced mind into what constitutes great music than to make an awful, one-sided list such as this.

If the list was actually decent and unbiased; and if Noel Gallagher knew a thing about influential bands; then the likes of Metallica and Led Zep, etc. would have made it into the top 10 without a doubt.

In short: don't pay any attention to anything Noel Gallagher ever says, or anything he ever does. He's an extremely thick person whose intelligence is reflected in both his guitar playing and knowledge of music.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mc1000
The fact that The La's even make Noel Gallagher's top 1000 - let alone number 6 - is testament to the fact that the prick (who also cites Jonny Marr as his biggest influence (lol) and is a very unremarkable guitarist himself) knows nothing about music

Get a grip you pompous idiot. Are you saying just because someone can 'play guitar' it makes them better? Being a musician isn't about 'shredding' - if you want to shred, they sell handy machines for doing just that down the stationary shop.

If you weren't so bigoted you would perhaps appreciate the 'art' behind music - anyone can buy a paint by numbers but that doesn't make them a Van Gogh and it's the same with music. Lee Mavers (of the La's) deserves much more credit; I suggest you look them up.

"Like a moth into the light, I will dance my death tonight" - The La's, "Tears in the Rain" pisses all over Metallica and, although I'm a fan, Led Zep too.

Reply 46
Original post by jokerofthepack
Get a grip you pompous idiot. Are you saying just because someone can 'play guitar' it makes them better?

Yep. It makes them a better guitarist, anyway.

Being a musician isn't about 'shredding' - if you want to shred, they sell handy machines for doing just that down the stationary shop.

It's all about diversity. The best guitarists (who tend to be metal or prog guitarists, though not always) are exceptionally diverse players who could very easily play the single genre that Noel Gallagher can play, yet many more genres on top of that. Some can even play in 19-4 time and make it sound normal and not contrived - which, trust me, is an exceptionally difficult thing to do.

The most accomplished guitarist in the world, IMO, is John Petrucci (Dream Theater) for that very reason. He can play everything in any number of time signatures; in any genre; from classical guitar through Spanish guitar through jazz through Gilmour-esque emotion-driven playing, through fast shredding through heavy thrash riffing, to the 'arpeggio-chord' playing of Jonny Marr (which, by the way, is something that can be played by any guitarist. It's that easy). Any genre, John Petrucci can play it. A similarly-able guitarist who comes to mind is Megadeth's Chris Broderick; and I can think of so many unheard-of guitarists who are of a very similar standard. Richard Henshall of the band Haken; Mats Haugen of Circus Maximus; Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation; Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings and Transatlantic; Paul Bielatowicz (Neal Morse band / Carl Palmer band) - all among the most diverse guitarists in the world. Heard of them? I thought not. You can't base your perception of metal guitarists on the likes of Dragonforce's Herman Li - who can certainly shred but is actually a fairly poor guitarist.

If you weren't so bigoted you would perhaps appreciate the 'art' behind music - anyone can buy a paint by numbers but that doesn't make them a Van Gogh and it's the same with music.

Yep. Diversity. Life doesn't have one single emotion does it?

Lee Mavers (of the La's) deserves much more credit; I suggest you look them up.

I've heard several La's songs. I thought they were all terrible and very untalented. The La's, as far as I know, only have one famous song (There She Goes). It's awful, it really is; and regardless of its quality, a single famous song is not enough to render them a great band by any stretch of the imagination. Unlike Led Zeppelin, who 20 years earlier wrote countless world-famous songs which also require a lot of talent and are hugely influential.

"Like a moth into the light, I will dance my death tonight" - The La's, "Tears in the Rain"

Try Porcupine Tree - lyrically and musically amazing. The La's are just musically lame; they really are.

pisses all over Metallica

Immature.

and, although I'm a fan, Led Zep too.

Erm. Please explain the logic behind that one...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KingKenny
You don't have to always agree with him to find this interesting.

1)The Beatles
2)The Rolling Stones
3)The Who
4)The Sex Pistols
5)The Kinks
6)The La's
7)Pink Floyd
8)The Bee Gees
9)The Specials
10)(Peter Green's) Fleetwood Mac

Most of it isn't too surprising as Noel tends to be pretty traditionalist with his choices. Bit surprised with the Specials and Fleetwood Mac. I don't ever remember Noel praising them.

I'm I the only one not seeing Queen?
Original post by mc1000
Yep. It makes them a better guitarist, anyway.

Ok, but my point was artist - not guitarist. Arguably there are niches within prog rock etc that are to be explored but you can not say Gallagher's - or even the La's! - music isn't diverse. I'm not criticising the catalogue of your mentioned artists because I don't know them but I can safely say that 'Eyeball Tickler' 'Wonderall' 'AKA What a Life' are dissimilar in all aspects and they're all written by Gallagher and Co.

I know about time signatures, and no they're not easy but neither is keeping 20 plates spinning on sticks whilst juggling a rabbit and two oranges BUT it can be done. The relevance of Marr is that, paired with Morrissey (who ain't my fave...) makes a unique combination that appealed to the teenagers of Thatcher's dreary Britain in the 80s.

Again, I use art...people were drawing match stick men way before Lowry but it's the context of the art and the motivation/passion of the artist that makes something successful.

I'll look up Porcupine Tree.

There She Goes is probably the La's worst song, just for reference. It's far from rubbish. Overplayed? Maybe.

I prefer the La's to Led Zep although they are a superb bunch of musicians, Bonham in particular.
Original post by mc1000
The only really good band on that list is Pink Floyd. Late Beatles is also quite good in its own way, and exceptionally influential, but certainly the early Beatles was very mediocre. Much like Oasis.

The fact that The La's even make Noel Gallagher's top 1000 - let alone number 6 - is testament to the fact that the prick (who also cites Jonny Marr as his biggest influence (lol) and is a very unremarkable guitarist himself) knows nothing about music. Same goes for The Sex Pistols - a bunch of exceptionally untalented knobheads whose only purpose was to take the piss out of establishment (and progressive rock) instead of actually making good, talented, insightful music.

Most of the other bands on that list are also famous, yet generic and not particularly influential in comparison to The Beatles and Pink Floyd. Hell, most of them are nowhere near as influential for all music as the 'founding fathers' of metal and, in turn, most of its hugely diverse subgenres. But of course, Noel Gallagher is an unedcuated, untalented nasty piece of work who would not for one second see the talent and sheer musical diversity involved in playing metal. Millions of unheard of metal guitarists (including several of my personal friends) are so much more accomplished at playing their instruments than Noel Gallagher, and would have more insight and a balanced mind into what constitutes great music than to make an awful, one-sided list such as this.

If the list was actually decent and unbiased; and if Noel Gallagher knew a thing about influential bands; then the likes of Metallica and Led Zep, etc. would have made it into the top 10 without a doubt.

In short: don't pay any attention to anything Noel Gallagher ever says, or anything he ever does. He's an extremely thick person whose intelligence is reflected in both his guitar playing and knowledge of music.

I'm sorry but if Noel knows nothing about music then why the hell are you commenting on here......Oh yeah I forgot you wrote all them classic songs that make your point valid! Whatever!

Metal??? Are you for real?

And the La's are out of this world - just shame he didn't carry on putting out music. Lee Mavers has still written more good songs than any metal band!
Reply 50
Never can understand why people argue about x band being better than y. It's like debating the merits of green over yellow.
Original post by Jorus
Never can understand why people argue about x band being better than y. It's like debating the merits of green over yellow.

Yellow is such a bland colour though, it's basically a duller white.

Green is where it's at. Secondary colours ftw.
Reply 52
his list are all the bands hes ripped off. No I love his work actually.
Loving his tune Riverman. Got some pink floyd in there

Quick Reply

Latest