The Student Room Group

Your "Oh ****!" stories/moment at University

Scroll to see replies

My phone went off in my pocket an exam, that was an oh **** moment.

I went for a shower in halls just wrapping a towel round and not locking my door. The cleaner went into my room and locked the door so when I came out of the shower I just hand a towel on and couldnt get into my room. The cleaner wasnt on my floor so I had to go to reception who didnt have a spare key. I ended up being locked out for an hour.

The other stupid thing I did was arranging my emails by alphabetical order rather than date by accident. For a month I thought I didnt recieve any emails but my new emails were just not coming up on the first page. When I finally realised I had emails saying thing like 'come to this appointment or you wont be able to sit your exam'.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not me, but:

Our IR lecturer had warned us that, should your phone go off in his lecture, you would be made to sing a song, without accompaniment, to everyone in the lecture theatre - a good 600 people. This song would be Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On'. One unfortunate girl completely forgot to turn her phone off, had to sing the song, and then ran from the lecture room crying :/

haha, one of my tutors said this too...he said we'd either have to pay £1 which goes towards a snack fund for the rest of the class, or sing a song

towards the end of the course (around 10 weeks in) around 40 people were late and all opted to pay the quid...so I thought **** it..set my alarm to go off half way in the lecture...and as he invited me to come forward and pay the quid, I stood up, walked to the front and started singing 'if you're happy and you know it' and got the whole class involved...was hilarious!!! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Ecstatically meeting a new mate on my coursec, promisin to walk up with her, forget to set alarm, she bangs on my door and says she'll see me in there, I run out after her half naked apologizing frantically. I lock myself out of my room (half-naked) run to reception to get my key changed. Return to class 45 mins late for a 1 hour lecture. Say you're sorry loudly to the lecturer, forgetting it's not your classroom. Get told to "try and get to class on time and when I do to be quiet when I get in"

That lecturer was a bit of a lad, but what a great first day!
I'm not even at university yet and I've already had an embarrassing moment. :facepalm:

A few months ago I had to go for an interview at one of the universities I applied to. It was in London so I didn't really know how long it would take me to travel there by tube, and I ended up arriving 45 minutes early. Anyway, I found my way to the correct department, and the email I received said to meet in one of the seminar rooms, but because I was so early there were no signs up and nobody around to help. After finding what I thought was the correct room, I opened the door and walked in... to find about a hundred students staring at me as I stood there in a suit and tie looking confused. Turns out I walked into a lecture theatre halfway through a lecture. The lecturer stopped and said to me "ah you must be one of the interviewees, you look far too smart to be one of my students, you want to room next door" and I sort of shuffled out while everyone sat in silence.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
1) When I didn't realise that someone had left a teatowel on the hob... I turned away from my cooking to get something out of the fridge, turned back round, and there was a teatowel on fire. In hindsight that amuses me, shook me up at the time though.

2) When I closed the door to my bedroom, and realised that the handle had fallen off so I couldn't get back in... I had a seminar in 15 minutes, and everything was on the other side of the door, including the essay I had to submit. I had to wait for the repairman to come before I could go to the seminar... Thankfully he was quick, although I then got lost on my way to the seminar. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
Haha omg :lol: I really am not looking forward to things like that happening when I go uni xD

OMG! that's soo bad! What if you'd been naked or having sex or something? :O This reminds me of when I was on holiday with an ex boyfriend and we were interrupted by the cleaner who soon realised why we hadn't answered the door lol

EDIT: Crap... an embarassing moment on a thread about embarassing moments. (quoted the wrong person)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 186
Calling duplex printing durex :facepalm:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Getting off with the guy who worked in the campus shop during freshers week, then not being able to face him the whole year I was in halls. (In my defence, I was naive, high on freedom, and flattered... and didn't realise he asked out literally every girl on campus. Opportunistic creep, he was about 27, and preying on all the fresh meat.) :s-smilie:

First lecture back after Christmas, first year. I forgot that the timetable changed, so merrily walked to my lecture thinking how organised I was this semester. :biggrin: So, I get to the lecture theatre, don't recognise anyone, get a bit worried. (I was sat halfway towards the front.) I'm about to walk out, when the lecturer stands up at the front and starts the lecture. (2nd year Psychology... I was 1st year English Lit.)
It took me a few minutes to twig, actually, since it was something about behaviour (I think), so I figured that the explanation of how it tied in with what I thought we were doing would come later, right? :tongue: Once I started to realise I was in the wrong lecture (about 5-10 minutes in), I went on MSN, to see a message from my friend saying: "Hey, you ok? My friend Ana says you're in her Psychology lecture looking kinda nervous and confused."
After some discussion with my friend on MSN, I decide to leg it out of there; grab my laptop and run up the stairs and out the back door, to be greeted with laughter by my friend when I reach the student social area. :eek:

After Easter:
I'm sat in a lecture, about 3 or 4 rows from the front (this lecture theatre seats about 100-150 people, I think). So, I'm listening to the lecturer, taking notes (kind of...), and hear someone's phone ringing. Several thoughts run through my head:
"Ooh, music! :biggrin: "
"Right, which idiot forgot to turn off their phone?"
"Hey, that person has the same ringtone as me! :tongue: [Status Quo] ... OH. Whoops." :redface:
I grab my phone, ignore the call, and set it to silent, then text my flatmate (who was calling), that I'm in a lecture and can't talk.
Fortunately, the lecturer kept talking throughout. Being told off for it would have been too embarrassing. :redface:

End of the year.
By the end of the year, my block of halls has had more fire alarms than anyone else. They're constant, even up to 6 times in one night on some occasions, mainly stupid idiots leaving straightners on/ smoking inside/ doing random crap.
So, end of the year, and I'm ill. I've got a horrible bug, and for the past week (or near enough) have only left my room to struggle down the corridor to the toilet. Feel awful, but somehow can't sleep, so my friend brings me up a sedative to help me drift off. 11:40pm, I take it and look forward to a proper sleep.
11:55pm, the fire alarm goes off. I groan, chuck on a hoody and some shoes, grab my key, and go. My room happens to be 3 floors up, and the fire exit on this side is on the lower ground floor, to boot. :frown: I struggle down the stairs, very, very, slowly, then walk around towards the main building/assembly point.
By which time, everyone else is walking back. I feel like crying.
Fortunately, my friend sees me, and insists on walking me back up to my room, and makes sure I get back to bed OK. But still, not fun. :frown:
First day of placement in hospital, was helping a lady into the shower after her delivery, pulled what I thought was the light cord... was actually the emergency buzzer. The entire staff hurtled into the room followed by about three doctors, and two surgeons. The doctors were not amused. At all. :colondollar:

And the standard just getting out of bath when fire alarm goes off and praying nobody notices that I'm only in a dressing gown... Cringe.

And the first time I ever got really blotto in halls... I was on the toilet, fell asleep, fell OFF the toilet, was throwing up INTO toilet with shorts and tights round my ankles. Knock on the door, I assume it's my friend to which I croak "No offence *****, but I am not letting you in when I have my knickers round my ankles." And then came the voice of the boy from upstairs who'd already helped carry me into the lift "Yeah, I'm just gonna go get your friend." I wish I could claim alcohol induced memory loss, but unfortunatley I remember ALL drunken escapades. Especially the ones I'd rather just forget. :facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by viksta1000
haha, one of my tutors said this too...he said we'd either have to pay £1 which goes towards a snack fund for the rest of the class, or sing a song

towards the end of the course (around 10 weeks in) around 40 people were late and all opted to pay the quid...so I thought **** it..set my alarm to go off half way in the lecture...and as he invited me to come forward and pay the quid, I stood up, walked to the front and started singing 'if you're happy and you know it' and got the whole class involved...was hilarious!!! :biggrin:

I wish I had you in my class! :biggrin:
One morning in freshers week, I woke up feeling awful - a combination of intense hangover and freshers flu. Added to this, I was on the floor, naked under my duvet, with no sheets on my bed, and the distinct odour of vomit.

Whilst dashing to my tutorial, I realise I'm going to sneeze... and cough... and vomit... all at the same time.

I still make it, feel like crap for the whole time, and then throw up again on the way home.

Asking my flatmates later, I'm told that we went to the Chrisitan Union ceilidh, and I spent the night slumped against the wall, yelling "SATAN"! I wandered home, but couldn't find my keys, and someone found me asleep on the main staircase. I then threw up on my bed, but somehow in my drunken state cleaned up after myself and decided to sleep on the floor.

I've barely touched vodka since.
Perhaps a slightly different sort of panic, but...

I was in Analytical Chemistry lab washing glassware at the sink. Anyone who's ever taken a chemistry class knows that when you dispose of chemicals, you DO NOT POUR THEM DOWN THE SINK. Anyways, one of my classmates comes up and tosses a graduated cylinder full of liquid into the sink, and the resulting splashback hits my arms and my pants.

I continued to wash my glassware for about 5 seconds before I notice a bit of an itching sensation on my arms. The itching quickly escalated to burning, and I realized that the liquid in the graduated cylinder was probably the 12M HCl (in other words -- very very concentrated hydrochloric acid) that we had been working with. I grabbed the acid/base neutralizer that was kept by the sink and sprayed it all over my arms and on my pants, washed my arms, and shot said classmate the nastiest look ever.
Original post by brabzzz
I retook a year at Bristol (don't ask...but i lived the Van Wilder lifestyle in halls for 2 terms, waiting for the 3rd term and the June exams...t'was awesome :-D

3rd term rolls around, but i don't adjust my schedule - i average 3 hours of attendance on a course that required 15-18 a week, and 7 nights a week in the bar. I get word that the crucial econometrics coursework, the one that takes about a month, is due in 2 days. OH ****!!!!! I could feel myself age half a decade and the colour drain from my face. I asked my tutor what the topic is...and he flips. He says i'm f*****d and that there's no way i can complete it. I'm out. My time is up.

Little does he know i've been there, done that, and the topic is the same one i got last year :-D
I guess he was still pissed i managed somehow to submit on time...the previous year i got 85%...this year's was only 60% ...for exactly the same piece of work. Lol - FHL :-)

Just shows how much bias and incongruities are involved with academic marking.

Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Someone (a male) stopping over at mine and being awoken by the fire alarm at six am and having to evacuate the building.
Finding out my deadline for an essay that I'd not started, was not a week away but actually five days away.
Coming back from a night out and not having my key (I slept in my blockmate's bed)

OH NO?!

2 days
The morning after a night out when I came back with some lass.

We didn't **** and she left at like 3 in the morning.

In the morning I woke up to find my hoodie was gone and my wallet too. Turned out I left my wallet in the club, which I got back and the girl had taken the hoodie so I HAD to see her again. She was from Dundee, but she stayed in Aberdeen for another day to see me again.

OH ****.
Also, I put a piece of dry spaghetti in my flatmates lock as a joke, and then not being able to get it out again, locking him out of his room.

Random stranger with pen knife to the rescue.
Reply 195
Nothing as exciting as half of the stories here. I forgot to attach a bibliography to my assignment ones, which was definitely an oh ****! moment. I also turned up for an exam two days early and panicked like crazy, went and asked all of the workers and teachers who were there only to realise that the exam wasn't on that day. I also forgot to hand in an assignment for an elective module I took, realised two weeks later and never bothered, like an idiot, to contact anyone about it until about 4 days before the exam about 5 months later.
Not uni but college.

Few weeks ago my tutor wanted to speak to me about my grades so I wheeled over in my chair, couldn't stop and bashed him right in the knees. Could have died there and then :biggrin:
Original post by tehforum
Just shows how much bias and incongruities are involved with academic marking.

OH NO?!

2 days

Two days can make all the difference.
Reply 198
This isn't uni and it isn't even college it was Year 8. So after getting on the coach to france (I live in Manchester) at about 1 at night it took us 9 hours to get to Bruges to spend around 6 hours walking round the town shopping. It then took us 2 hours to get to our accommodation which is near Beauvais a bit further north than Paris.

So we'd all been in our clothes for 19/20 hours so everyone was sweating and smelly. Once the coach stopped outside the teacher tells us that when we get in to our room, after he has read our names of the list, we are to get ready for tea and a fire drill will be in around an hour and tea will be afterwards. Quite literally 15 minutes into the hour the fire alarm goes off and the teachers are walking into peoples rooms pulling them out and sending them outside. Now most people had decided to shower and change before tea so we get dragged out, I'm wearing my jeans and I'd grabbed my thin hoodie so I walk out bare feet on the stones outside. Other boys were in boxer shorts or pants they had quickly put on whilst most girls had a dressing gown or coat over their pyjamas.

Now at the place we were staying there was 2 chalets which our school took up and some manor house which a school from bordeaux had took up and they had arrived before us so walked out nice and warm looking comfortable but for the wind on their faces. Most of our school was stood there wearing hardly anything looking embarressed in front of the french school kids.

Lastly one kid in my year comes out with just a towel round his waist looking absolutely petrified as the teacher who had pulled him out the shower stood behind smirking . He was freezing considering this was January and after about 5 minutes the teachers walk out looking happy with themselves and say we can go back in.

It was more an oh **** moment for all of us.
Not a uni story but oh well.

School trip to London about four years ago, my friends and I were all just chatting in the room I was sharing with my best mate. I wanted to test the whole using a glass to hear through doors theory, so I sat seeing if I could hear what was going on in the hall. Heard people going "Oh, she's passed out!" and thought they were taking the piss, so I got up and kept chatting to my friends. When the others left to go back to their room they opened the door and we discovered that a girl actually had passed out in front of our door (she was very drunk), and nobody knew who she was or who she was with. Two guys picked her up and walked into our room with her, saying "Ah, we'll just put her in here!" and put her on my bed. I had this moment of "Where the hell am I going to sleep?!" and considering running along to our friends already crowded room and begging a space on their floor. Luckily her friends turned up a moment later and the guys took her out, but it was a bit of a "Oh ****!" moment for me. Nowadays I probably wouldn't mind that much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending