The Student Room Group

If you got pregnant by your current boyfriend, would you keep the baby?

To those girls in your teens and early 20s. Would you keep the baby? Or would you have it exterminated? How would you or your friends/family feel about you getting pregnant so young?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes I would, and I think my family and so on would be surprised but they would probably be happy.
Reply 2
Absolutely, I wouldn't hesitate. My family would fully support me after they got over the initial shock.But I'm in a fortunate situation, we've been together 3yrs, live together and my parents only live 2mins away and would help with everything.
Reply 3
Original post by sheepy18
Absolutely, I wouldn't hesitate. My family would fully support me after they got over the initial shock.But I'm in a fortunate situation, we've been together 3yrs, live together and my parents only live 2mins away and would help with everything.

Lucky you. Most peoples' parents would be very angry and unsupportive I think.
Ah, the word "exterminated" in this context made me laugh. Though wouldn't really fancy a Dalek coming at me with its plunger extended. :tongue:
No, wouldn't keep it for the world. Not the right time, not the right place, probably not the right person.
I got pg a couple of weeks after I turned 21.

What did I do?

Got married and had the baby.

She's 6 years old now, top of her class at school, and right this minute she's nagging me to play chess with her. Imagine if I'd had an abortion....I'd have nobody to play chess with lol!
Reply 7
I'm not sure. I really DO NOT want to have a child right now, maybe ever, and i am 100% pro-choice. However if i did find myself pregnant i don't think i would find it easy to have an abortion. I have massive ammounts of respect for people that do choose to have an abortion but i think they themselves would admit that it can be a very stressfull experience. My answer is to not get pregnant in the first place. Obviously accidents can happen but i'll do everything i can to prevent that.
Reply 8
I don't think I would. If you're still studying hence you'll be economically unstable and This won't be good for you or your child. Life will be very difficult without a proper income. And boyfriends, don't trust them to stick around, you will be left on your own to deal with emotional problems and stuff (If they are immature sort). Wait until you feel like "This is what I want" :smile: and My parents won't be happy. Probably want nothing to do with me afterwards actually..they are that sort of people.
Even if they didn't plan it, had contraception in place to prevent pregnancy, are too young, it will mess up their chances for a good career, they don't have enough money, won't get support from their boyfriend, won't get support from their parents... a lot of girls would still keep it :rolleyes:
No I wouldn't.
Reply 11
A big Yes.
Reply 12
even if you would be single mums? because i would dump my girlfriend if she didn't get abortion
Reply 13
Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie
Ah, the word "exterminated" in this context made me laugh. Though wouldn't really fancy a Dalek coming at me with its plunger extended. :tongue:

Sorry about that, English isn't my native tongue, what would be a better word to use there?
Reply 14
Original post by Procerus
even if you would be single mums? because i would dump my girlfriend if she didn't get abortion

Why? Because she didn't do as you say? That's weak.

I would abort. I'd rather have a child when I feel mature enough and can afford it. Circumstances of conception are important too. Ripped condoms are a bad reason to have a kid.
Reply 15
Original post by Raving_Hippy
Sorry about that, English isn't my native tongue, what would be a better word to use there?

You can have a pregnancy "terminated" so I think that's the word you were looking for, so you were pretty close :tongue: And don't be sorry, it gave me a wee giggle too :biggrin: You're english is actually really good though.

And yes, I would keep the baby but only if the father would absolutely stick by me and wanted the child too. Our combined income would be enough to get by. Ideally, I wouldn't want a child outside of marriage though.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't know. I love my boyfriend and we're planning for our future, but if I was pregnant now... I want to go to university and I want to be married before we have kids, but I don't think I could go through with having an abortion, and I wouldn't want to give it up for adoption... so yeah, I don't know.
Reply 17
Yes. But then I'm married and we both have good jobs. It wouldn't be ideal, as I'd like to be a little bit further up the career ladder, and would like to own our own house, but we could definitely manage.

5 years ago, when I was still at uni and in a relationship with someone else, would have been a much more difficult question. Which is why I have always been meticulous about contraception.
Yes, I would keep it. My bf and I have been together six years, he has just got knew much better paying job and we are moving to a new place in Feb. Despite our financial situation and not being married it may not be the best time to have a baby and we do take measure to prevent it but nothing is 100% effective, I doubt he would make me get rid of it if I did get pregnant. We'd manage. My mum ad her side of the family would probably be a bit iffy cos we are not married, my mums family are all a bit churchy, after the initial shock and having her god rant, she would support me although my boyfriend would go mad if she even mentioned getting the bay baptised. My dads family would be thrilled. I can see my elderly grandparents going mad about first great grandchild and living so close (we are moving to Coventry, not far from where they live). I've no idea what his family would think, I don't think they'd mind. It would also give me an excuse to not get a new job right away. I'm not the kind of person who wants a a perfect career before a baby, my mum had my older brother during her final year of uni and didn't go and do her PGCE til I started school and I loved having her around while I was little. But back to the question yes I would definitely keep it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have no idea what I'd do. My family would be shocked but would support me anyway, I think my mum would be happy at the prospect of having another grandchild.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending