The Student Room Group

Alopecia and relationships.

Hi.

I have Alopecia. For those who don't know, it is basically a posh word for hair loss. Mine is a form of Alopecia called Alopecia Areata (AA) which makes patches of my hair dissapear.

Now about 50% of my hair has gone. In patches. And you have to understand, this isn't normal male patterned baldness. It doesn't look natural. I have various patches on my head where there is just no hair. I have taken to the route of shaving all of my hair off and keeping my head bald by using a razor.

Of course, this isn't what you want at the age of 19...

I was never really good with the women, but now, my confidence has dwindled to me barely being able to speak to a girl. I can't see any reason that they would be physically attracted to me, and because of me not really being able to speak to them, there not going to be emotionally attracted to me. Its such a viscous circle, and I don't know how to break it.

I'm just asking has anyone else been through a similar situation? Or someone else with another physical impairment that has lead them to feel that holding a relationship seems impossible?
If a girl isn't interested in you because of this then she's not worth your time anyway

Just be confident about yourself - girls always say they find humour more important than looks
Lots of men shave their hair whether it be to hair loss, low maintainence or just because they find it a good style for them, I imagine you're probably worrying about it because you view yourself as less attractive without hair. Just be yourself you will be fine :smile:
Reply 3
There are lots of guys without hair that actually look quite handsome, every girl has different tastes, i for one, don't care what a guys hair looks like, aslong as they are nice :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending