The Student Room Group

Should A level Maths be Complusory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mocking_bird
I suppose English should be "complusory" for you.

typing on the net lol my l key is broken
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by limetang
I think that GCSE maths should be made more difficult, but I don't think that making A level maths compulsory would solve an awful lot, especially when you consider the fact that there will be a fair amount of useless content in A level maths for some.

what he said ^
Reply 22
Original post by Jiraiya is no liar
English is too easy...by birth in the UK you learn how to speak and read English etc. so you find it easier. whereas maths .......

There's a little more to GCSE/A-Level English than reading and speaking - like analysis, interpretation and... reading! I found GCSE Maths a breeze but I had to put some work in for English. A-Level Maths was fine too but I doubt I'd find English anywhere near as easy.

Whilst Maths does provide a good skillset, it's not useful for everyone. The reason GCSE Maths is compulsory is because it provides people with the basic numerical ability they need. If people need a greater level of ability, they can just take A-Level Maths anyway.
Definitely not A level maths.

I think that basic budgeting and appropriate maths as well as basic English should be compulsory like once a week though to help in life.
I wish someone had advised me to take A-level Maths along with A-level Physics. I'm the only person in my A2 Physics class who doesn't do Maths and I'm struggling tremendously, whereas everyone else at least has an idea of what's going on and so they're able to do the work and I'm not. Biggest regret of my academic life.
Original post by britchick
I wish someone had advised me to take A-level Maths along with A-level Physics. I'm the only person in my A2 Physics class who doesn't do Maths and I'm struggling tremendously, whereas everyone else at least has an idea of what's going on and so they're able to do the work and I'm not. Biggest regret of my academic life.

Exactly the skills that come with maths allows people to do well in chemistry, physics computing, economics,etc

therefore we would have more WELL QUALIFIED PEEPS IN THIS COUNTRY. look at the people who leave India,china, Singapore,Brazil their numerical skills are like WOW WTF?? compared to our lot. PLUS they can speak english.

Now would you employ a deadly Chinese mathematician who speaks English and mandarin or a British student who can only speak English and has got meh alright maths skills.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Yes, it should be compulsory, we need lower grade boundaries.
Reply 27
You could just as well say that A Level English Language should be compulsory. After all, most people are more likely to need the ability to write well rather than solve an equation.

But no, every A Level has it's value and people should have the choice. It's their future after all.
I do Maths A level and despite getting a high grade at AS, I don't find maths fun at all.
It is very hard, and many people won't be able to cope with it since it's a big step from GCSE.

So, should English be compulsory too?
A level maths would sort the lazy from the dedicated.

What will this achieve?
Reply 30
English is too easy...by birth in the UK you learn how to speak and read English etc. so you find it easier. whereas maths .......

Too easy? Don't make me laugh. It's not just about reading it and speaking it, you have to analyse it, understand the context, look at the developments of characters, themes that occur. I said English Literature, which is about studying in depth plays, novels, poems, which isn't a natural occurrence. Maths is easier and therefore more "fun" for others. Open up your Mindanao little, it's amazing what you may find out about humans.
no.

not everyone needs to know how to integrate through revolutions or solve differential equations. :rolleyes:
Reply 32
You also CHOOSE A level subjects on what will be best for future careers. I won't need to learn the maths my friends are doing at the moment, I understand maths and I have my GCSE, for me, it's not a necessity to have it at a higher level, so why should it be forced to me?
No because if you're **** at maths then taking A-Level Maths would **** up your life.

Do you expect someone with an U in GCSE to go on and ge an A* in A-Level maths?

It would be a waste of time and it would mess up a lot of people's university/job opportunities.
Reply 34
Basic maths would be an addition. And this maths is cover at GCSE.

I am currently studying A level maths and am personally struggling. Students who receive grade B's and below and GCSE would not have a chance in achieving a decent grade at A level!

Like many others have said, just because Maths is your favorite, many other young individuals absolutely despise maths because they don't like working with numbers.

It is important for you to remember that different individuals have different strengths. One A level student may be able to achieve AAA at A level, but in non-academic subjects. But hey, they've still achieved AAA!
Original post by The Real Quaid
What will this achieve?

lazy people make no contributions the dedicated enjoy what they do and offer valid contributions.
lazy people make no contributions the dedicated enjoy what they do and offer valid contributions.

What's this got to do with A-Level Maths?!

If someone's lazy, forcing them to study an A-Level won't suddenly make them not lazy

And is this for everyone or just those in further education? As anyone who chooses to go into further education must have some drive in them
Original post by FallenMan
Too easy? Don't make me laugh. It's not just about reading it and speaking it, you have to analyse it, understand the context, look at the developments of characters, themes that occur. I said English Literature, which is about studying in depth plays, novels, poems, which isn't a natural occurrence. Maths is easier and therefore more "fun" for others. Open up your Mindanao little, it's amazing what you may find out about humans.

l0l english is easy if you read the right books throughout your education...

all of tht^ is easy if you enjoyed reading the book. all you have left is to comment on the purpose and effect which is easier.

form-free verse, black verse, ballad,sonnet,epic,villanelle
structure-end stopped lines, caesura, enjmabement, question marks
language- imagery,tone and mood, personification,alliteration,etc bloody endless list,hyperbole,onomatopoeia,assonance,.

and its really not hard to link context in...... just pick words which reflect major themes of the context in which the book was set.

ENGLISH LIT IS EASY. the hard part is finding examples,such as for personification. for which practice makes perfect. when reading a book you spot personification you become more confident. in maths the more equations you solve the more confident you get. but maths is generally harder than English as many people dont know the basics English though;they were born speaking and reading it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by House Dagoth
no.

not everyone needs to know how to integrate through revolutions or solve differential equations. :rolleyes:

those who know this are at an advantage those who dont pfft..

also if it is your choice choose to learn the traditional subjects there is a reason they are traditional.....
Reply 39
You say maths is like a foreign language?

so then why not make 'every' foreign language compulsory ?

Just because someone is not good, or does not do maths does not make them lazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending