The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
I really hope they aren't actually planning to put the headphone jack on the bottom. That has to be the worst design quirk of the iPod Touch, the headphone cable's always getting in the way. :colonhash:

Also is it me or does that mini-dock connector look suspiciously like a micro-USB? Has the EU finally curtailed Apple on that front I wonder? :holmes:
Original post by mangoh
is that the rumoured bigger screen size?

facetime front camera :colonhash:

such a waste of time facetime is - no one I know uses it

Fcaetime cameras have been on the iPhone line for two years :lolwut: I actually use it quite often with my parents/grandparents (And my ex while I was with her) while I'm at university,

Original post by Dez
I really hope they aren't actually planning to put the headphone jack on the bottom. That has to be the worst design quirk of the iPod Touch, the headphone cable's always getting in the way. :colonhash:

I prefer it, this way it's facing the right way in your hand when you take it out of your pocket.

Also is it me or does that mini-dock connector look suspiciously like a micro-USB? Has the EU finally curtailed Apple on that front I wonder? :holmes:

If I remember correctly it's oval shaped, definitely not a microusb port. I'll try and track down one of the leaked pictures.
Reply 2102
They must be beyond desperate for space if they're willing to redesign the dock connector to a completely different, incompatible, and still proprietary format. That's 10 years' worth of 3rd-party gear they're throwing out. Although then again, the patent on the dock connector's probably gonna run out before long, so this may just be Apple's way of keeping exclusivity on their products. Still, 'tis odd. :beard:
Reply 2103
Can someone explain to me why there is a sticker across the back of the iphone cases? that darker band across the logo and product details? :dontknow:
Original post by Vulpes
Can someone explain to me why there is a sticker across the back of the iphone cases? that darker band across the logo and product details? :dontknow:

Apparently it's not a sticker, but that part is made from aluminium (or aluminum as apple would say) :dontknow:
Just ordered this :coma:
Reply 2106
Original post by hassi94

Nice, but looks like it'll be bloody noisy. Three fans are gonna raise a racket. :/
Original post by S-man10
how does one convert from FLAC to ALAC on windows? Can't seem to find the answer as most of the software suggested is only MAC compatible.

If you want an swiss army knife way to convert flac to alac in a single step, you can use winff. Typically used as a video converter, it actually supports anything ffmpeg supports (which means it can read anything vlc can read). Supported audio output formats happen to include alac and (surprise surprise) MP3 (so if you configured it properly, you could use it as a replacement for winlame).

Anyway, flac to alac - you configure it once, then use it forever:
Download winff.
Edit -> presets.
Audio -> WMA.
In the boxes, enter "alac", "ALAC", "-acodec alac", "m4a" and "Audio".
Press "Add/Update" and then "Close".

It's now configured. Add all your files, select your destination folder (note that typing it in won't work) and select "Audio" and "ALAC" as the options.

Done. For more speed on a multi-core processor, edit -> preferences -> Use several encoding threads -> the number of cores you have.
If you have flac files with 'flac tags', you may be able to preserve the tags in the conversion - http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2011-March/000003.html

Original post by Mad Vlad
What was wrong with 192kbps .mp3 :moon:

PRSOM

And all humans evolve to having really good ears.

Original post by S-man10
Just downloaded it. Although I'm not sure is ALAC fiels are supposed to be of a lower file size? A 38MB FLAC converted to a 12 MB ALAC despite me setting a high bitrate.

If you're setting a bitrate when converting between lossless files you're doing it wrong. Edit: to clarify, bitrate is irrelevant for the conversion between lossless files. It's like reducing the 'quality' of a zip file - you can set the compressor to spend more time making the data a bit smaller, but either your data is intact or it isn't, there is no notion of quality.

M4A is a dual-use extension for both lossy and lossless apple audio files - it may contain either aac or alac codecs.

Trivially you could pipe the WAV out of one encoder and into the other, which amounts to direct conversion. That may even be what ffmpeg does to do it in a single step...but it doesn't really matter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Facetime is such a load of ****. All it is is a more pointless, more locked down version of video calling which has been around for years.
Original post by hassi94

I thought having two fans on a GFX was a lot. Must be a beast.
Original post by Dez
Nice, but looks like it'll be bloody noisy. Three fans are gonna raise a racket. :/

Well looking at a review now; the 2 fan asus is 5 db quieter than a reference card and 15db quieter at load. I hear the windforce is cooler and quieter.
Can anybody help me find a decent GPU for £200 or less? I've invested in a 7970, but I've pushed my max budget far beyond what I'm ready to pay. The 7970 cost me £350.

Build so far-
i5 3570k
Gigabyte Z77 D3H
8GB G.Skill DDR3 1666mhz
OCZ Modular 600w PSU
Sharkoon T9 case
ADATA 120GB SSD
500GB HD 7200rpm
500GB HD 10000rpm
Reply 2112
Original post by secretmessages
"Short wait", I'm the most impatient person in the world :p:

Hmm. Yeah, I'll probably regret it in a few months' time if I upgrade to the 4S.

Do you know what happens regarding contracts? Mine is up in July-ish, if I don't upgrade then, will I still be able to upgrade in September? Or should I ask to be put on a monthly rolling contract until I want to upgrade the phone?

Worth asking your provider if they can do that for you
Original post by hassi94

:lolwut:

Your box is going to take off when you get it going...

Please tell me you're going to be doing more than "light web browsing and the odd power point / word document" :wink:
Original post by mikeyd85
:lolwut:

Your box is going to take off when you get it going...

Please tell me you're going to be doing more than "light web browsing and the odd power point / word document" :wink:

I'm sure he'll throw in the occasional game of Solitaire!
And don't forget freecell... just to stretch it a bit more towards its full potential :holmes:
Original post by S-man10
And don't forget freecell... just to stretch it a bit more towards its full potential :holmes:

Or maybe a really big minesweeper grid? Although to be fair I can't see such a measly setup running either of them at a decent framerate :\
It's revolutionary! :zomg:

Spoiler

I hope the EU ****s them over for that pointless proprietary connector.
Original post by Mad Vlad
It's revolutionary! :zomg:

Spoiler

I hope the EU ****s them over for that pointless proprietary connector.

Original post by G8D
Yeah I agree. It does look pretty ugly. I hope for fanboys' sakes it's not legit.

I'm personally just disappointed that if it is legit, it pretty much removes the only manufacturer that makes sub-4" phones. I don't get on well with anything over that really :erm:
All the iPhone users I know in person talk about how they hate my phone (Galaxy S2) due to its size - wait a few months and they'll all have their 4" iPhones (if the leak is indeed real) :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending