The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by hassi94
This: http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-core-i5-3450-s1155-3-1ghz-6mb-7YXL.html?q=i5%203450&src=16

And this: http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-z77-ds3h-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-atx-8307.html?q=z77&src=16

For £215

Problem is there's quite a big step down for anything lower than this, so if you're intent on not going above £200 it'll have to be a dual core i3 (still a great processor but nothing in comparison to the i5) for more like £185 (inc. motherboard).

I think an i3 would suffice for my needs as the games/programs I play/use on the pc don't really necessitate an i5 for optimum performance. (have a games console for that anyway).

However I'm drawn to an i5 as it would last me longer (I would probably upgrade my CPU in a few yrs, but with the i5, I can probably wait a bit longer to do that) and not to mention the speed and performance. :teeth:

Not sure what I will do though. What do you think of the i3 2100?
(edited 11 years ago)
I wonder if you can get a San Francisco for that kind of hard currency? :holmes:
Original post by Ruin.
I think an i3 would suffice for my needs as the games/programs I play/use on the pc don't really necessitate an i5 for optimum performance. (have a games console for that anyway).

However I'm drawn to an i5 as it would last me longer (I would probably upgrade my CPU in a few yrs, but with the i5, I can probably wait a bit longer to do that) and not to mention the speed and performance. :teeth:

Not sure what I will do though. What do you think of the i3 2100?

Well yes I'm sure an i3 would suffice for now, the reasons I suggested the i5 is due to the reasons you stated, but it'd only be £40-ish cheaper or so for the i3 I think.
So I'm now allowed to upgrade my contract early (it's only been about 21 months). I can upgrade to a better deal, for £5 less a month, on a 90 day contract. What's the catch? :s-smilie:
Reply 2164
Original post by RipperRoo
Great so far, I was terrified to even turn it on at first. :biggrin:

ATI HD7850. Was much easier than I thought it would be to put it all together; I thought the wiring would be a nightmare but it was actually rather straight forward.

Although I did accidentally screw my mobo in with special screws for my case meant for HDDs at first, that was a bit of a set back. :tongue:

Turns out the Fractal Define R3 case that I got is a monster, so next on the agenda to buy: a desk it will actually fit under.

I love my R3. :coma:

Just replaced an Antec 300 with the R3. Finally I have cable management!
Original post by mangoh
If I hard drive has gone on a laptop, can the power button on a laptop still work (i.e. be green)?

Yes.
Original post by mangoh
just a quick question

If I hard drive has gone on a laptop, can the power button on a laptop still work (i.e. be green)?

My laptop power and charging button is green but my screen is black.

I was wondering if because the power & charging buttons work that I can safely rule out the hard drive being broken?

It would still power up. But the hard drive can't really be the problem as it should still be able to boot into BIOS without an HDD. RAM or mobo may be the issue if it isn't the screen itself.
Reply 2167
Original post by G8D
Decent cheapish mouse?

Just go to Logitech's website and order by price. Go with whatever fits your budget. :wink:
Original post by G8D
Decent cheapish mouse?

What does 'cheapish' mean? :tongue:
Original post by G8D
Well I'm not looking for a £50+ gaming mouse.

Is £25 reasonable? Do you have a wired/wireless preference?
Reply 2170
Original post by G8D
Decent cheapish mouse?

Logitech G400 and that's the end of it.

And your surface is the Boogie Bug XL: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-000-BB
Original post by G8D
I'm not particularly fussed. I just want one that's relatively good at being a mouse.

The G400/500 are supposed to be excellent mice for medium to large hands, with the G500 being a bit bigger than the 400. They both have brilliant reviews on Amazon and the G400 was backed up by some users on this thread :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
With that being said, how does one determine what size mouse is ideal? Is there like a size chart? :holmes:
Original post by S-man10
With that being said, how does one determine what size mouse is ideal? Is there like a size chart? :holmes:

It's something I'm having trouble with. As much as people say 'this is great for big hands', I'm not sure how big they're saying.

EDIT: Though I think anything beats what I use now:

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/si/2048x1536/Dbo-OodIa5dsDQ0ZN5n2s5n3vFd7SFITT9dZVhWtgrg/27039568/1338764400/d2407a0/2012-06-02%2023.28.19.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
It's something I'm having trouble with. As much as people say 'this is great for big hands', I'm not sure how big they're saying.

EDIT: Though I think anything beats what I use now:

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/si/2048x1536/Dbo-OodIa5dsDQ0ZN5n2s5n3vFd7SFITT9dZVhWtgrg/27039568/1338764400/d2407a0/2012-06-02%2023.28.19.jpg

I guess the size comes to whatever feels comfortable, or if your hand just about covers the mouse or the mouse is just about bigger.
Original post by SMed
Logitech G400 and that's the end of it.

And your surface is the Boogie Bug XL: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-000-BB

Wow 45 by 90 cm! How does that fit on your desk without being half underneath your keyboard too?
Reply 2176
Original post by hassi94
Wow 45 by 90 cm! How does that fit on your desk without being half underneath your keyboard too?

That does look excessively big. My mouse (G400) goes over an area about the width of my keyboard's numpad, it's sensitive enough not to need a big area.
Original post by hassi94

By having a a BIG desk? :holmes:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I really think the Google Glasses have a lot of potential, in more ways than people imagine, but they just look a bit dorky at the moment. Apparently that isn't the only thing they are working on over at the Google X Lab:

:beard:

I can't wait :biggrin:
It would make Iphone redundant haha
Reply 2179
Original post by hassi94

My desk is 160cm. Mouse and keyboard go nicely on it. It's fantastic. You don't have to worry about the mouse always running off the pad. :biggrin:

Like this:

Latest

Trending

Trending