The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My Raspberry Pi is finally being despatched! :woo:
Original post by Metrobeans
My Raspberry Pi is finally being despatched! :woo:

Do you have any plans for it or just playing around at first? :smile:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
iOS6 sounds meh.

I agree. I felt very out of place on the WWDC thread where people were saying 'iOS 6 looks absolutely amazing' etc.
Original post by hassi94
I agree. I felt very out of place on the WWDC thread where people were saying 'iOS 6 looks absolutely amazing' etc.

It boggles my mind how they can keep the same stale interface year after year. There's obviously millions worldwide who don't have an issue with it, but think how many more they could win over if they took on Android with regards to customisability. It's ridiculous.
Shameless advertising is shameless :ninja:

For Sale: 2010 MacBook Pro (£500)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Oh wow, I would have snapped that up without a second thought last year. Can't justify getting a 4th laptop now. :sigh:

Sell one of your others, problem solved :ahee:
I'd be quite interested to see what these "features" are.

NB: A bug fix, or UI tweak is not a feature, in my book.
Reply 2327
Original post by G8D
My CPU is attached to the cooler. Presumably just my gpu that's been overheating...

All CPU's are attached to the cooler... not sure what you mean?
Reply 2328
This is why smart people jailbreak. Mine is an old 3G so can't really handle the full visual tweaks jailbreaking has to offer. But I just de-label all the icons which just neatens it up quite a bit.
Reply 2329
Original post by G8D
I assumed I would be able to detach them to apply paste.. But it looks soldered on (this was not the case when I opened my old laptop yesterday).

Oh I see what you mean. You sure it just wasn't really stuck thermal paste? Have you googled the model of laptop to see if it was infact soldered?
Reply 2330
I'd say yes, but then I haven't just torn it down and put it back together again. :ahee:
Original post by G8D
Sorry for clogging this place up with nooby BS recently (always).

I've now reapplied compound to both GPU and CPU so hopefully all is well. Thanks for the help.

Anything's better than talking about high end audio or Apple.

:teehee:

Good stuff :smile:
On an unrelated to anything side note, I keep having my phone interview for a boss SQL DB ops role delayed... Frustrating. Also doesn't say much for the current staff... Fair enough if people are on holiday, just don't keep rearranging it. I'd rather they say it'll be later on...
Reply 2333
Original post by G8D
Running Chrome/Minecraft/Speedfan (as I was 15 minutes or so ago) is ~10C less and between 1500 and 2000 RPM slower.

I know there's apparently no curing time but I hope it improves slightly over the next day or so.

EDIT: oh no spinny loud bitch is back :frown:

Did the GPU have paste or a thermal pad on it? Most have pads and you're not supposed to use paste.
Reply 2334
Seen this?
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/06/v-moda-vamp-packs-a-headphone-amp-and-dac-into-an-iphone-case-to-make-your-music-sing/

Original post by Mad Vlad
Anything's better than talking about high end audio or Apple.

:teehee:

Good stuff :smile:

:ahee::ahee::ahee:
Reply 2335

Has anyone ever made a portable DAC that connects via Bluetooth or some other wireless tech? Seems to me that'd be far more useful, although I suppose it'd end up giving the battery a quick and painful death. :beard:

Yeah I've been following the development of it for a while. The article is wrong about it being the first of its kind though, it's actually a rebranded version of a product called the GoDap, which wasn't particularly well received. However the Vamp has higher end components than the review models GoDap used, so it could be decent. I'll wait for the reviews, although I can't imagine it being better than its competitors as an iDevice DAC/Amp because the primary restriction is physical space. Plus it's pricey as hell, at $600 it is at a very odd point, it's not going to appeal to the average consumer and audiophiles will go for a somewhat bulkier, better sounding product like the Fostex HP-P1 for a couple of hundred dollars more (Something which is in my own list of planned purchases =P). I can really only see it getting adopted by the audio enthusiasts with money to burn on a secondary "ultraportable" hi fidelity rig. I hope it's somehow managed to be awesome though, my V-Moda M80 headphones are one of my favourite pairs that I've tried, especially at the price point. They're a company heading in the right direction after starting out as a fashion brand in the same vein as Skullcandy and Beats.
Original post by Dez
Has anyone ever made a portable DAC that connects via Bluetooth or some other wireless tech? Seems to me that'd be far more useful, although I suppose it'd end up giving the battery a quick and painful death. :beard:

Original post by G8D
Bluetooth apparently degrades audio quite a bit. Some bluetooth headsets maintain quite a high fidelity but I doubt it'd please an audiophile.

^^^What he said. As far as analogue signal goes, Bluetooth cannot deliver anything close to audiophile reproduction, I assume that would be the case if they made attempts to transfer the information digitally. There's technology called Kleer which has been very well implemented in delivering close to lossless quality analogue signal in Sennheiser's flagship wireless headphone, the RS 220, and less well in 50 Cent's Sync headphones, although that's more of an issue with them having horrid drivers. I've never heard of a wireless DAC though, the closest I've seen are wifi media hubs that can output digitally to external DACs, so I assume it's only a case of miniaturising.
Some new iOS features
1 - Maps are now Apple-sourced instead of using Google sources.
2 - Applications can be purchased from within apps.
3a - Alarm can be set to any song in Music app
3b - Offline reading list caches the user's reading list for later use, even when not connected to the Internet
4 - Like button on apps and content from the App Store and iTunes Store

1 - Yes Apple, because moving from the skyhook location service to your own worked so fantastically well when locating based on wireless network.
2 - How meta :lol:
3 - Two solid improvements. Nice.
4 - Oh come on. Really!?
Reply 2339
Hey all, been busy this past week, but awesome things are happening!

Three companies looking at me for possible summer work and a job following after Uni! I'm only a second year, but it's nice to have! One's unpaid, but the other two seem promising for options as well. I'm arranging dates for interviews, so hopefully I'll have some money.

Though, in the short term, I'm a bit sunburnt after an awesome weekend listening to the Prodigy, Metallica and Black Sabbath, among others! :biggrin:

So Gofre, those Audio Technica over ear headphoness you recommended me still considered by the community to be the best for around £120?

As for Apple, my iDevice isn't supported by iOS6, and Macbook Pros seem a bit meh, it'll just mean screen tech and Thunderbolt'll become cheaper in the next few years. I'm more interested in a Transformer Book, or the Taichi laptop/tablet, both of which are from ASUS. My parents have a Transformer Prime at home, and I like the form factor, but want something more useful as a laptop on a daily basis.

Latest

Trending

Trending