Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tech Society 3.0

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Has anyone ever made a portable DAC that connects via Bluetooth or some other wireless tech? Seems to me that'd be far more useful, although I suppose it'd end up giving the battery a quick and painful death. :beard:

(Original post by G8D)
    Bluetooth apparently degrades audio quite a bit. Some bluetooth headsets maintain quite a high fidelity but I doubt it'd please an audiophile.
    ^^^What he said. As far as analogue signal goes, Bluetooth cannot deliver anything close to audiophile reproduction, I assume that would be the case if they made attempts to transfer the information digitally. There's technology called Kleer which has been very well implemented in delivering close to lossless quality analogue signal in Sennheiser's flagship wireless headphone, the RS 220, and less well in 50 Cent's Sync headphones, although that's more of an issue with them having horrid drivers. I've never heard of a wireless DAC though, the closest I've seen are wifi media hubs that can output digitally to external DACs, so I assume it's only a case of miniaturising.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some new iOS features)
    1 - Maps are now Apple-sourced instead of using Google sources.
    2 - Applications can be purchased from within apps.
    3a - Alarm can be set to any song in Music app
    3b - Offline reading list caches the user's reading list for later use, even when not connected to the Internet
    4 - Like button on apps and content from the App Store and iTunes Store
    1 - Yes Apple, because moving from the skyhook location service to your own worked so fantastically well when locating based on wireless network.
    2 - How meta :lol:
    3 - Two solid improvements. Nice.
    4 - Oh come on. Really!?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, been busy this past week, but awesome things are happening!

Three companies looking at me for possible summer work and a job following after Uni! I'm only a second year, but it's nice to have! One's unpaid, but the other two seem promising for options as well. I'm arranging dates for interviews, so hopefully I'll have some money.

Though, in the short term, I'm a bit sunburnt after an awesome weekend listening to the Prodigy, Metallica and Black Sabbath, among others!

(Original post by Gofre)
    x
    So Gofre, those Audio Technica over ear headphoness you recommended me still considered by the community to be the best for around £120?

As for Apple, my iDevice isn't supported by iOS6, and Macbook Pros seem a bit meh, it'll just mean screen tech and Thunderbolt'll become cheaper in the next few years. I'm more interested in a Transformer Book, or the Taichi laptop/tablet, both of which are from ASUS. My parents have a Transformer Prime at home, and I like the form factor, but want something more useful as a laptop on a daily basis.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tathrim)
    Hey all, been busy this past week, but awesome things are happening!

Three companies looking at me for possible summer work and a job following after Uni! I'm only a second year, but it's nice to have! One's unpaid, but the other two seem promising for options as well. I'm arranging dates for interviews, so hopefully I'll have some money.

Though, in the short term, I'm a bit sunburnt after an awesome weekend listening to the Prodigy, Metallica and Black Sabbath, among others!

So Gofre, those Audio Technica over ear headphoness you recommended me still considered by the community to be the best for around £120?

As for Apple, my iDevice isn't supported by iOS6, and Macbook Pros seem a bit meh, it'll just mean screen tech and Thunderbolt'll become cheaper in the next few years. I'm more interested in a Transformer Book, or the Taichi laptop/tablet, both of which are from ASUS. My parents have a Transformer Prime at home, and I like the form factor, but want something more useful as a laptop on a daily basis.
    You bastard! You never told me you were going to Download! :mad:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm more interested in a Transformer Book, or the Taichi laptop/tablet, both of which are from ASUS.
    Just googled these... Crazy! Especially the second (though I don't really see a use for it - I think a detatchable keyboard makes more sense and who wants to give presentations through the back of their laptop on an 11.6" screen? ).
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was it the M50s that I suggested?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    You bastard! You never told me you were going to Download! :mad:
    I wasn't aware that anyone here was a fan of that sort. I apologise, I will warn in advance, next time.

(Original post by hassi94)
    Just googled these... Crazy! Especially the second (though I don't really see a use for it - I think a detatchable keyboard makes more sense and who wants to give presentations through the back of their laptop on an 11.6" screen? ).
    I have a HP TouchSmart series 2 laptop, and I use it more in the rotation state with the lid facing up and over the keyboard unless I'm working heavily on something. It's a convenience thing of not having to find the keyboard each time you wanted to use it.

(Original post by Gofre)
    Was it the M50s that I suggested?
    Yup, those are the ones. Anything better arrived since March?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really, the M50s take a lot of beating. Definitely my suggestion in this price range!
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just been seriously asked, by an IT colleague with a degree, how many thirds make a whole... :facepalm:
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Not a bad target to con out of pizza slices. :holmes:
    :lol:

I like your thinking.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.de/N56VZ-S4066V-No...9596607&sr=8-1

Looking very 'Macbook Pro' but decently priced for what it is!

P.S. Is there any way of making Chrome auto-translate pages? I know it's only one click as it is but I'd prefer if it was automatic and didn't come up with the translation bar.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The comments should be good.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    If anyone's after some cheap, quality storage for their PC: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000511BI
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware that anyone here was a fan of that sort. I apologise, I will warn in advance, next time.

I have a HP TouchSmart series 2 laptop, and I use it more in the rotation state with the lid facing up and over the keyboard unless I'm working heavily on something. It's a convenience thing of not having to find the keyboard each time you wanted to use it.

I sold my ticket because I didn't have anyone to go with I am disappoint.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a stuff about CIO's. It's CISO's that need to worry about these FAPple trinkets. They are verboten from our corporate network because their security is just non-existent.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    If anyone's after some cheap, quality storage for their PC: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000511BI
    Oh ****ing excellent news! Ordered.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another option might be for CIOs to require workers who want to bring their own high-powered devices to the office to bring their own bandwidth as well.
    I don't even what is this. :eyeball:
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I have a question about Macs (apologies).

Do all of them still come with 1 year free Apple Care? Also is it true that students who purchase in store get 3 years AC for free, someone told me this but not sure if true.
    If you buy a Mac through regular channels you get the standard 1 year warranty and 90 days' phone support. Through the education store you get 3 years of AppleCare and 1 year of telephone support. Both can be fully extended to 3 years of AppleCare and phone support (in the case of the student plan this is basically a waste of money).
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    See I'm on the edu store at the moment and it's still speaking like AC is an optional extra. Do you need to purchase from the physical store to get it free?

FWIW "APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK/MACBOOK AIR/MACBOOK PRO 13" (HE CONTRACT) [+ £48.00]" is the thing on offer besides "none".
    if I remember correctly it gets tacked on automatically rather than being an option you choose.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.