Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tech Society 3.0

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Thank you.

And are AAC files 'standard' and playable by most third party media players?
    No worries :yy:

Yep, as far as I'm aware AAC will be catered for by the majority of players. I obviously can't guarantee obscure players will support it, but from what I've seen the few remaining non-iPod players that still sell well either run Android or are Sansa clip products, which all natively support it.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...16&postcount=7
    I like my privacy so any type of coding/programming that would help with that
    I know programmers are stereotyped as introverts, but I've never encountered it being learnt because of said stereotype
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I built a PC a while back and am using Win 8 with an OEM license (which should permit transferal between computers).
    I'd like to switch my 500GB HDD for an SSD (specifically the Samsung EVO), would it be as easy as switching the drives and installing windows from disc? The authentication code should work again?
    • 161 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    In Word how do I go about having roman numerals for a few pages and then arabic numerals for the rest? There's guidance on MS website and that is repeated on Yahoo Answers but it doesn't seem to work for me. It seems to be one or the other.
    As in:
    i, ii, iii, 4, 5, 6,...

Or:
    i, ii, iii, 1, 2, 3,...
    ?

In either case, after adding the page numbers you'll need to have a new page section break where you want the new format to being, then disable "link to previous" for the header/footer where the numbers appear. Once done, go to Insert -> Page Numbers -> Format Page Numbers for the while you have the second page's numbers selected and choose the new format and, if necessary, a new starting point.

Does that help?
    • 161 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Another question. Is it possible to have multiple alignments on a line? I'm basically building a contents page and I want Chapters/headings on the left and page numbers on the right without resorting to innumerable full stops to align it correctly.

EDIT: I've just discovered columns, give me a moment.

EDIT: These seem like a decent way to achieve what I want, unless there's some other better way.
    Columns should work fine, though it's also possible to set alignment markers to be "left", "centre" or "right", with multiple markers on a single line.

Sorted now re page numbering? I use Windows rather than Mac, which won't help with giving you guidance, sorry!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a Mac user, I just experimented and got the mixed page numbers to work. I tested it numerous times and it does it each time. Try this:

Go to Insert>Page Numbers...>Format, and select the roman numerals from the Number Format drop-down list.

Next, go to the page that you want to start the new numbering from. Then to go Insert>Break>Section Break (Next Page). Now go to Insert>Page Numbers>Format, and select the Arabic numbers from the Number Format drop-down. If you want the numbers to go I, II, III, 4, 5, 6, then make sure that 'Continue from previous selection' is checked. Else, check the option that says 'Start at:', and choose the number (so if you choose 1, it would be I, II, III, 1, 2, 3, etc.). Then hit Ok, Ok again, and it should be done. Every time you want to start a new chain of page numbering, insert a section break (next page) onto the page you want the new numbering to start from - so with the examples in this paragraph, the section break would go onto the 4th page.

Let me know if it works out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, fair enough. Well glad you got it sorted.
    • 161 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know that you've got yourself some nasty malware when you need three separate tools to get rid of it :indiff:

Some re-education needed for certain people about basic internet security, I think
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    You know that you've got yourself some nasty malware when you need three separate tools to get rid of it :indiff:

Some re-education needed for certain people about basic internet security, I think
    At my work, someone managed to install some malware during their interview test (for a Web Developer position)...
    • 161 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    At my work, someone managed to install some malware during their interview test (for a Web Developer position)...
    Did they get the job?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Did they get the job?
    No, they didn't
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    This heartbleed stuff is pretty bad.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My second one is in the post too :3

I'm freed from my old 460

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is literally no need for 2 unless doing surround or 4k, still pretty nice.
    Would have probably have also been better to have held out for 880s
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    There is literally no need for 2 unless doing surround or 4k, still pretty nice.
    Would have probably have also been better to have held out for 880s
    Got dual 4k monitors in new setup, so went with 2. Will be game development so high spec needed. They should be future proofed for a while now
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    My second one is in the post too :3

I'm freed from my old 460

Merged with the Tech Soc, which is more appropriate for this sort of thing than a separate thread But yeah, very nice :teeth: I'm managing to resist upgrading GPUs since I'll most likely sell my desktop next year when I will (hopefully) go travelling and my 660 is still going very strong
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Merged with the Tech Soc, which is more appropriate for this sort of thing than a separate thread But yeah, very nice :teeth: I'm managing to resist upgrading GPUs since I'll most likely sell my desktop next year when I will (hopefully) go travelling and my 660 is still going very strong
    Cheers man

660s are pretty decent and new still, will you be buying a new laptop when you go travelling?
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    Cheers man

660s are pretty decent and new still, will you be buying a new laptop when you go travelling?
    Yep, although depending on what travelling eventually entails will decide if I get something gaming oriented. Option A is going to stop with relatives on either Australia or Florida (whoever will let me stay with them for longest :ahee:), I which case I'll probably get a 15" machine with a mid range GPU for when I get free time. Option B is interRailing around Europe, where I'll want minimal bulk and maximum battery life so I'd probably go for some flavour of MacBook Air. Budget after covering all the other expenses will be the main factor though, so I better start saving :P

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 19, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.