The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nope, especially given that by the description the claim is total *******s, I would like to see a 16 core xeon have theoretical compute performance in excess of 20Tflops. The world's most powerful ever CPU was 1 and that, I suspect, was intel saying "lol, we can do this lololololol"

Having gone on to look on the site, the most power you can get is 2 8 core xeons at 2.9, and 3 Quadro 6000s. Far from the most powerful, maybe for the purposes it's pretty good, but for the price you're paying for it maxed out...pretty sure there are much cheaper, more reasonable options. Maxed out is $55k, and looking at some of the prices, unless I'm missing something, they're even more rip off upgrades than from Apple

And what is said in the video is a joke, the individual components in the super computers aren't necessarily designed for max performance, they're designed for reliability, they're almost complete opposites.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Nope, especially given that by the description the claim is total *******s, I would like to see a 16 core xeon have theoretical compute performance in excess of 20Tflops. The world's most powerful ever CPU was 1 and that, I suspect, was intel saying "lol, we can do this lololololol"

Having gone on to look on the site, the most power you can get is 2 8 core xeons at 2.9, and 3 Quadro 6000s. Far from the most powerful, maybe for the purposes it's pretty good, but for the price you're paying for it maxed out...pretty sure there are much cheaper, more reasonable options. Maxed out is $55k, and looking at some of the prices, unless I'm missing something, they're even more rip off upgrades than from Apple

And what is said in the video is a joke, the individual components in the super computers aren't necessarily designed for max performance, they're designed for reliability, they're almost complete opposites.

I agree.

I wonder if current OS's can even address that much memory.
Original post by donutellme
I agree.

I wonder if current OS's can even address that much memory.

not officially. . The highest tier of 8.1 can do 512. Obviously there will be custom Linux that can, but only 8..1 and 7 are options. IIRC the best on 7 is 128GB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Xmas just came earlier or late :3

Original post by CodeJack
Xmas just came earlier or late :3

Oh yeshhh

I'll take 3. How much?
Original post by Jammy Duel
Obviously there will be custom Linux that can

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0851.html
Supports up to 768 GB memory

You can utilise all that on Linux, but it'd take a pretty special workload to blow that memory before CPU or I/O becomes a bottleneck.
Original post by donutellme
Oh yeshhh

I'll take 3. How much?

For you, a sweet £420 ea.
Original post by G8D
Anyone on OSX unable to update things in the App Store? Particularly Apple's own software (Pages, iTunes, security updates...).

I'm unable to do anything on OS X, because it's ****.

[EDIT] Genuinely though, lemme go check.
Original post by G8D
Do you really still hate it as much as you did?

Yes.

I checked, mine is working fine.
I think I'm jumping ship
Apparently Moore's Law means we'll be able to 3D print whole people within our lifetime. I didn't like will.i.am as a tech "personality" in the first place and his products have been almost universally garbage, but I swear he's just turning into a charicature of a tech pundit at this point.

www.dezeen.com/2015/03/06/will-i-am-interview-future-3d-printing-people/
Original post by G8D
I've done some fairly academic research into 3D printing and William might be off the mark a bit, but not by as much as you might think.

Bio printing is rapidly accelerating, as is stem cell research. It would not surprise me if we are 3D printing parts of humans within the next 10 - 15 years.

I know that we'll be printing organs and tissues sooner rather than later, I just don't get where he's gotten the idea that Moore's Law is the bottleneck between that and a full human body being spit out. Unless I'm mistaken the availability of adequate processing power has nothing to do with the current limitations of 3D printing.
Original post by G8D
I've done some fairly academic research into 3D printing and William might be off the mark a bit, but not by as much as you might think.

Bio printing is rapidly accelerating, as is stem cell research. It would not surprise me if we are 3D printing parts of humans within the next 10 - 15 years.

Well aren't we kinda already printing organs?
With the imminent arrival of consumer VR, and given my absolute lack of faith in Morpheus I started considering where VR will be for consoles come 9th gen (where it is on PC being largely irrelevant).

Now, obviously the first question we must ask has to be about the capabilities of the next gen consoles, at least in terms of Tflops, not that it's be best measure it does of course give a rough idea. If we consider that the increase in power is almost 10 fold from loss leading 7th gen to break even 8th gen we can expect AT LEAST the same for 9th gen, so as an absolute bare minimum we would be looking in the region of 20Tflops, or a totally balls to the walls maxed out desktop today. But then I also think that's a bit of an underestimate unless, as some people suggest, 8th gen will be shorter than normal, after all, we would likely be looking at break even->break even, or possibly even going back to loss leaders, but we can comfortably sit at 20Tflop and jkust say "well, it will probably be better than this but..."

So what does this mean for the actual VR on 9th gen? Well, it will happen and be half decent. Based on my own experiences of frame rates and rtesolutions on a single 980, so a quarter of the power they will have, is promising. In all likelihood I WILL be getting a second for VR given that while most games will comfortably manage the >100fps needed even at the high resolutions there will still be some games that can't. I expect that for 9th gen at least 4k60fps is the norm with much shinier graphics, as per having the power of a current maxed PC, and we may be a lot closer to photorealism, but given how nice games today look on ultra I feel that the sacrifices that would be needed to get the higher frame rates will be more than acceptable. It will obviously remain that you will get the better experience on PC, but at the same time 9th gen console VR will probably be much better than this year on PC, as discussed.

As an aside, I would quite like to see VR headsets with variable refresh rate technology, especially given just how much horsepower is needed. I will still get a VR headset this year, but would feel so inclined to get a new variable refresh rate one, even if that's only next year.
I would normally be excited, but I'm not since I've switched to google docs for most things. Makes working on my macbook, desktop and uni computers a lot easier, and it's not microsoft :wink:
Mac users of TSR, what's the state of external Blu Ray drive support like these days? I'm moving back over to Apple next week so and I need to decide whether to get a USB Blue Ray drive or just get a generic Blu Ray player to plug into my monitor.
Probably abysmal, but I'll leave it to someone with actual experience with these devices on Macs to have the final say.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Probably abysmal, but I'll leave it to someone with actual experience with these devices on Macs to have the final say.

I've had a read around and it seems to be in the same boat as Windows- the drives are supported but there's no decent free BR player software. I'll most likely just pick up a cheap PS3 on eBay and use that, the price isn't too far off a basic BR player at this point and there's a big back catalogue of exclusives I want to play.
I'm in the process of clearing my computer prior to selling it including the operating system, does anybody have any recommendations for software that will fully wipe and format the C drive?

Latest

Trending

Trending