The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by SMed
*PMs home address for freebies (plus postage)*

I'd happily give it away if I had the faintest idea where it actually is. :p: Probably buried in a cardboard box somewhere, but who knows? :iiam:
Original post by RipperRoo
Has ch0llima been v&? :O

I think he may have had it... :erm:

I hope he's alright :frown:
Reply 1282
Original post by Dez
I'd happily give it away if I had the faintest idea where it actually is. :p: Probably buried in a cardboard box somewhere, but who knows? :iiam:

*waits for the search*

:tongue:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC813B/A

What do you guys think of this refurb deal?

*No self-righteous Apple/iMac haters please.
Reply 1284
Original post by RyRy93
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC813B/A

What do you guys think of this refurb deal?

*No self-righteous Apple/iMac haters please.

You know the iMacs are overdue for an update, right? Apple could replace the entire line any day now, so it may be better to wait for the spec update, even if it just means getting one of the current line models slightly cheaper.
Original post by mangoh
LOL got my two monitors...

bigger than I thought

LOL the desk is too small for it so I am back with one

I'm going to buy a new desk in the next month or so (then I'll have two)

I can't even get a bigger desk either because that would involve buying a smaller bed for it to fit in my room. The price is quickly racking up haha.
Original post by Dez
You know the iMacs are overdue for an update, right? Apple could replace the entire line any day now, so it may be better to wait for the spec update, even if it just means getting one of the current line models slightly cheaper.

I can only see the MacBook getting any significant changes, to be honest. I might wait, but it could be another 2 months after 2012 iMac release before a refurb as cheap as that comes along.
Original post by secretmessages
Just noticed your 'About me' spoiler :colonhash:

Heh, didn't have a clue what you were talking about until I had a look. Must have done that ages back...minimum of a year ago.

Original post by mangoh
LOL

says it all

Says that no expense is spared on computer equipment where Vlad works?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1288
You're probably sick and tired of people badgering you for audio recommendations by now, but here's another. :colondollar:

Do you have any suggestions for canal earphones in the £50-100 range? Trick is, they need to have an asymmetric cord (like the CX 300s), meeting at the shoulder and not the chest. I absolutely can't stand the latter, cables get tangled too easily and there's nothing to stop them falling to the floor if I take them out of my ears briefly. Seems most IEMs have a Y-shaped cord nowadays, which is really quite annoying. :sad:
Original post by Dez
You're probably sick and tired of people badgering you for audio recommendations by now, but here's another. :colondollar:

Do you have any suggestions for canal earphones in the £50-100 range? Trick is, they need to have an asymmetric cord (like the CX 300s), meeting at the shoulder and not the chest. I absolutely can't stand the latter, cables get tangled too easily and there's nothing to stop them falling to the floor if I take them out of my ears briefly. Seems most IEMs have a Y-shaped cord nowadays, which is really quite annoying. :sad:

Haha no worries, gives me an excuse to lurk moar on audiophile sites :ahee: Not aware of any myself aside from the CX300s (I'd assumed this was exclusive to the i300s which have the iPhone mic to make them more like a headset), but I'll have a scout around and get back to you (:
Reply 1290
:ahee:

I got some Fostex PM0.5 Active Studio Monitors. For reference, that's a 23" (Dell) monitor and the speakers stand about 30cm tall. It sounds incredible. :biggrin:

Still have things to sort out on my desk before I take a full workspace shot.

IMG_9254.JPG
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mangoh
LOL

says it all

I don't have £2200 to spare.
Reply 1292
Original post by mangoh
WOW NICE!

A couple of questions though :smile:

1) Does the bass become irritating, like does it shake the whole desk?

2) I see you have the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard, I have it too :smile: I was wondering is it possible to turn of anti-ghosting as when I am typing I sometimes hit the wrong key. Previously on keyboards that don't support it I was fine.

1) This is only my first day with this setup and I haven't had time to really go through my library yet. But saying that, I'm not really a basshead anyway so I don't think it will be a problem. I have a very sturdy commercial desk so it's not too bad. I also have the speakers (and that shelf with everything supporting it) on blu-tack which helps isolate it. The only thing that really rattles was the metal filing cabinet which I've moved to the other side of the study.

2) I have no idea, I've never had this problem.
Original post by SMed

I got some Fostex PM0.5 Active Studio Monitors. For reference, that's a 23" (Dell) monitor and the speakers stand about 30cm tall. It sounds incredible. :biggrin:
x

Very nice choice on the Fostex! I'm on the verge of being tempted away from the Hifiman HE-300s again, now I'm contemplating getting a set of Fostex T50RP to try my hand at modding (They're very popular for doing so apparently) and a set of entry level custom IEMs. Decisions, decisions!
Original post by Dez

Right I've had a nose around, and from what I can tell "j-cords" are a dying breed unfortunately. The only company I can find that make decent quality ones are a German one called Xears, who don't appear to have any UK based retailers or say on their website which of their headphones have them :\ Aside from that I found a couple of Sony, one I can't find any retailers at all for and the other costs over £250.

Your best bet could be to contact Xears, and enquire into which of their current line have the desired cord and how to make an international purchase. If they provide you with a list just google "Xears XXXXXX head fi" and you'll get all manner of reviews pop up. Then you can compare their critical reception to price point and go from there.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Reply 1295
For newbies browsing audiophile classifieds:

If you recognise the manufacturer, it will probably be fairly cheap.
If you've never heard of them, prices start at £2000 per individual component, and rise sharply.
Reply 1296
Ah well, thanks for spending time looking around anyway. :smile: Xears line-up is somewhat reminiscent to Beats and Marley in terms of style I notice, not sure if that's a good thing or not. It also looks like they don't do returns, which could make for a rather expensive mistake if the earphones turn out to be no good.

Guess I may be stuck with the CX300s for now. What is it with Y-cords anyway? :holmes:
Original post by SMed

Still have things to sort out on my desk before I take a full workspace shot.

IMG_9254.JPG

I second this image:
Reply 1298
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I second this image:

:hat2:
You know you spend too much time on the internet when you start automatically rephrasing sentences you read into memes.

Latest

Trending

Trending