The Student Room Group

Product Design in Scotland :) ?

Hi,

I want to study product Design in UK (I am from Bulgaria), but I don't want to pay 9k pounds per year (yes, I know all about the students loans) so I decided - Scotland

The Universities that have the course are:

Uni of Glasgow - Product Design Engineering BEng - 4y / MEng- 5y

Uni of Edinburgh - Product Design - BA 4y

Uni of Dundee - Product Design - BSc 4y

Uni of Strathclyde - Product Design Engineering Beng - 4y / MEng 5y
- Product Design and Innovation - BSc - 4y

Uni of Robert Gordon - Product Design BDes 4y (started 2011)

I know that my first job is to chose whether I want it to be More technical or more art. But my wish is that the University is high ranked, because I have the highest possible grades in my country. So I'll definitely choose Glasgow and Edinburgh, although I prefer something in the middle Art + Engineering, while the one is mostly art, the other engineering... And I'm left with tree choices and 4 possibilities.. Maybe because of my undecisivness I'll choose both of the courses in Strath.. so I'm left with Dundee and Robert Gordon to choose from... But I am not that sure in my thoughts above, so I will be happy to hear your opinion on that matter, too

Maybe the ideal course for me is the PD and Innovation in Stratchlyde, but I really prefer higher ranked Uni...

I'm having problems with my statement wanting to enter Both BA and BEng major, too, but I think I will manage to do it, at least I hope

Thank you in advance
Original post by Gerivta
Hi,

I want to study product Design in UK (I am from Bulgaria), but I don't want to pay 9k pounds per year (yes, I know all about the students loans) so I decided - Scotland

The Universities that have the course are:

Uni of Glasgow - Product Design Engineering BEng - 4y / MEng- 5y

Uni of Edinburgh - Product Design - BA 4y

Uni of Dundee - Product Design - BSc 4y

Uni of Strathclyde - Product Design Engineering Beng - 4y / MEng 5y
- Product Design and Innovation - BSc - 4y

Uni of Robert Gordon - Product Design BDes 4y (started 2011)

I know that my first job is to chose whether I want it to be More technical or more art. But my wish is that the University is high ranked, because I have the highest possible grades in my country. So I'll definitely choose Glasgow and Edinburgh, although I prefer something in the middle Art + Engineering, while the one is mostly art, the other engineering... And I'm left with tree choices and 4 possibilities.. Maybe because of my undecisivness I'll choose both of the courses in Strath.. so I'm left with Dundee and Robert Gordon to choose from... But I am not that sure in my thoughts above, so I will be happy to hear your opinion on that matter, too

Maybe the ideal course for me is the PD and Innovation in Stratchlyde, but I really prefer higher ranked Uni...

I'm having problems with my statement wanting to enter Both BA and BEng major, too, but I think I will manage to do it, at least I hope

Thank you in advance

I wouldn't recommend Strathclyde for Product design.
It's brilliant for my course, but we had a module taught by the Product design department last year, and one this year, and the staff were awful/useless/disorganised.

I absolutely love Strathclyde, but I wouldn't wish the DMEM department on anyone!
Reply 2
Oh that is sad :/ .. I have almost decided that two of my choices would be Strathclyde... And now I'm lost again :/
I'd be happy to hear other people's opinions :smile:
Thank you for yours :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Popppppy
I wouldn't recommend Strathclyde for Product design.
It's brilliant for my course, but we had a module taught by the Product design department last year, and one this year, and the staff were awful/useless/disorganised.

I absolutely love Strathclyde, but I wouldn't wish the DMEM department on anyone!

There she is, the strathclyde warrior, always on tsr do her duty to the uni.^^^^^

TBF i'd go for strathy as well though. :cool:
Reply 4
Ok, guys.. I have to finalize my choices.. I'm quite sure for four of them:
Glasgow BEng
GSA BDes
Edinburgh BA
Strathclyde BEng

And for the fifth i'm hesitating between Dundee's BSc or Strathclyde's BSc...
I prefer Strathclyde but I already have a choice there...
Please, advice me againnn :biggrin:
Reply 5
Having grown up near Dundee I would avoid compared to Glasgow (as a city beats it hands down).

I'm surprised you think strath is low ranked? The DMEM modules I've done were fine. If having a uni that looks fancy/ like a castle is what you're aspiring to then yeah go to Edinburgh or Glasgow uni. I personally think these two were more "style over substance" and this is reflected in industry.

Glasgow's way cheaper and tends to be more modern than Edinburgh on the whole. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on your personal taste.
Reply 6
Original post by swelshie
Having grown up near Dundee I would avoid compared to Glasgow (as a city beats it hands down).

I'm surprised you think strath is low ranked? The DMEM modules I've done were fine. If having a uni that looks fancy/ like a castle is what you're aspiring to then yeah go to Edinburgh or Glasgow uni. I personally think these two were more "style over substance" and this is reflected in industry.

Glasgow's way cheaper and tends to be more modern than Edinburgh on the whole. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on your personal taste.

You are right.. but here is not only about the uni and the city, but aboute the course itself... I prefer Glasgow as a city (not that i've been there) .. simply because it's cheaper and more industrial, as you said :biggrin:

I have chosen Strathclyde once already, I know it's better than Dundee :biggrin: my question was whether to choose it for second time or to give chance to Dundee :confused:
Reply 7
Oh don't choose two courses from the same department- it's a waste of a slot.

Different departments of the same uni- I'm not sure. When I applied (Aero-mech vs straight Mechanical at Glasgow or Strath) I had to phone. Normally you can easily swap early on/ before you've even started (from bachelors to masters or one stream to another). The further through the course the harder it becomes (second year stream swaps possible with an extra class etc). I was told I could apply to second year at Glasgow uni if Strathy didn't work for me, as the courses covered roughly the same material.
Original post by swelshie

We have a mutual friend on Facebook. :ninja:

That's my facebook creepin' done for the day. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending