The Student Room Group

My mums boyfriend treats her like crap

My mum and her boyfriend have been together for 4 years now, he moved in with us a year into their relationship.

Since being together, my mum has done nothing but cry and feel depressed. He doesn't pay her any attention and never bothers to take her out.

I can understand that money is tight for everyone and that bills come first but that's all he is obsessed about.

He works nights at Tesco and has Tuesday/Wednesday nights as his nights off. Those two days are the only proper time they could spend quality time together but all he would do is just go on his PC games all day until midnight and just not bother with her. Due to seeing my mum looking miserable and upset on the couch alone, I would tell him that she's upset and lonley, only then he would come down.

My mum goes all out of her way to getting him a card and gifts for Christmas, Valentines day and Birthday but he never bothers saying he doesn't have money and that bills are more important.

My mum works part time and all of their money put together goes on bills. They never spend quality time as a couple outside of the house. He's just not interested and would rather play his PC games.

It's always my mum making the effort with her appearance but he never does the same for her.

From my point of view, it's like he doesn't give a crap about spending time with her and that if he does it, it's because he feels "forced".

He calls her a sponger and a taker because she's upset that he isn't bothering with her birthday for the fourth year they have been together. She was recently upset over the fact he's not making an effort to buy her a birthday card and gift and all he could say is "Just because you're not getting your own way".

Some of the nights he has had off, she has gone to bed fed up and he doesn't even convince her to stay down and spend time with him. He would rather watch a film alone.

Even when my mum had a miscarriage, she was crying and all he could do was go on his PC game and laugh while he was playing.

I don't know what to do about the situation but he's making her feel really low.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kizza
My mum and her boyfriend have been together for 4 years now, he moved in with us a year into their relationship.

Since being together, my mum has done nothing but cry and feel depressed. He doesn't pay her any attention and never bothers to take her out.

I can understand that money is tight for everyone and that bills come first but that's all he is obsessed about.

He works nights at Tesco and has Tuesday/Wednesday nights as his nights off. Those two days are the only proper time they could spend quality time together but all he would do is just go on his PC games all day until midnight and just not bother with her. Due to seeing my mum looking miserable and upset on the couch alone, I would tell him that she's upset and lonley, only then he would come down.

My mum goes all out of her way to getting him a card and gifts for Christmas, Valentines day and Birthday but he never bothers saying he doesn't have money and that bills are more important.

My mum works part time and all of their money put together goes on bills. They never spend quality time as a couple outside of the house. He's just not interested and would rather play his PC games.

It's always my mum making the effort with her appearance but he never does the same for her.

From my point of view, it's like he doesn't give a crap about spending time with her and that if he does it, it's because he feels "forced".

He calls her a sponger and a taker because she's upset that he isn't bothering with her birthday for the fourth year they have been together. She was recently upset over the fact he's not making an effort to buy her a birthday card and gift and all he could say is "Just because you're not getting your own way".

Some of the nights he has had off, she has gone to bed fed up and he doesn't even convince her to stay down and spend time with him. He would rather watch a film alone.

Even when my mum had a miscarriage, she was crying and all he could do was go on his PC game and laugh while he was playing.

I don't know what to do about the situation but he's making her feel really low.

Most women like to be treated like that.

Either way you can't do anything. Weak willed people won't do anything.

P.S. OP you can't do anything your mother has to leave him. I doubt that will happen as she has been with him for four years. Just don't make the same mistakes as your mother.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
In regards to what simplicity said...NO WOMAN likes to be treated like that. It's just an internet fad that "nice guys" cry out.

I agree that you yourself can't do anything directly.

What you CAN do is open your mother's eyes. Talk it out with her. Ask her if she's happy. Does she feel how she felt at the start of the relationship? Does she truly love him? If so what about him? Ask her how she sees the future...does she want it spent with a man who doesn't actually *care* about her and how he is a bloody hypocrite if he can even mention "sponging".

She needs to know that she doesn't have to *settle* for him especially as she is an older woman. Comfort your mum and let her know she's not alone. You'll always be by her side and (hopefully) she has family on her side. Your mum's lovelife may not be over just yet. She could keep her options open but she really needs to end it with this guy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending