The Student Room Group

Official Arabic/Middle Eastern Applicants 2012 Thread

Seeing as no one has started one up yet, I thought I'd start up a forum for those applying to study Arabic or any joint degree including Arabic at university this year! So here is a forum where we can discuss stuff like which universities we've applied to, where we've got offers from, what the degree involves et all. :smile:

My own choices (haven't heard back from any yet!) include:

Cambridge (Asian and Middle Eastern Studies)

St Andrews (Arabic and Middle Eastern)

Exeter (Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies)

SOAS (Arabic and Islamic Studies)

Leeds

:-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, We've got some pretty similar choices there lol...

I'm going for:

University of Cambridge (Pembroke) - Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Arabic & French) (TT46) - SAQ Acknowledged
Durham University - Modern Languages (Arabic & French) (R000) - Acknowledged
University of St Andrews - Arabic and French (RTC6)
University of Exeter - French and Arabic (4 years) (RT16) - Acknowledged
The University of Manchester - Middle Eastern Studies and a Modern Language (TR69)

Didn't go for SOAS coz I'd hate to be in London (plus I've hearnd many bad things)

What college did you apply to at Cambridge, and what subjects are you studying? :poke:
Reply 2
Trinity College :biggrin:

I'm doing French, German, Politics, with my AS level in Media Studies (100% :P)

I got an offer from Exeter today :smile: Have you heard back from any others yet?

I've heard some pretty grim stuff about SOAS too... regretting applying there already :s-smilie:

How's your prep for interviews going? Got any reading done? :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
OMG you guys are absolute heroes! thanks for setting this up! -
Ignore my footer thing here are the courses I'm applying for;

Politics and Arabic - University of Exeter
Arabic and Middle East Studies - University of Exeter
Arabic and Politics - University of Leeds
Politics and Arabic - University of Salford

and I'm not sure about the 5th one. I am sending mine off next Thursday so fingers crossed! We could very well be sharing a lecture theatre next year!
Reply 4
Original post by ergosum

I got an offer from Exeter today :smile: Have you heard back from any others yet?

I've heard some pretty grim stuff about SOAS too... regretting applying there already :s-smilie:

What sort of stuff have you been reading?
Reply 5
Original post by ergosum

Oooh Trinity... Nope, no offers yet :rolleyes:

Bleh, I've read a few novels for French but not so much for Arabic.... I've just been following current affairs...which is no mean feat atm lol... incidentally; opinions on al-nahah winning in Tunisia?

I've bought Orientalism but, its so big, and theres only 2 months so I'm not sure if I'll get round to reading it before December... Good job it's not on my P.S, you?

NEWSFLASH: Just checked track and I've got a conditional from Exeter too :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Applying for Middle Eastern Studies and a Modern Language at Manchester :smile:
Reply 7
Yayyy :smile: Thank you for doing this thread! Never thought I'd see it in a million years! Lol :P I'm applying to:
Exeter: Arabic and Persian
Manchester: Middle Eastern Languages (Arabic and Persian)
Leeds: Arabic & Middle Eastern Studies
St Andrews: Arabic & Middle East Studies
Durham: Arabic
Sent off my application on Monday but have only had acknowledgments so far. REEAAALLY want to go to Exeter! Absolutely love the department there!! :smile:
What grades has everyone got/predicted?
Mine are:
AS: A in French, A in English Language, B in psychology (retaking to get to an A) and B in English Literature (dropped)
Predicted: ABB (my predictions are lower than my AS results...wtf?! lol )
AHHH really want to get some offers! :frown: :smile: How long has the period been between sending off your application and receiving offers/rejections for everyone?
Reply 8
Original post by Marina72
Yayyy :smile: Thank you for doing this thread! Never thought I'd see it in a million years! Lol :P I'm applying to:
Exeter: Arabic and Persian
Manchester: Middle Eastern Languages (Arabic and Persian)
Leeds: Arabic & Middle Eastern Studies
St Andrews: Arabic & Middle East Studies
Durham: Arabic
Sent off my application on Monday but have only had acknowledgments so far. REEAAALLY want to go to Exeter! Absolutely love the department there!! :smile:
What grades has everyone got/predicted?
Mine are:
AS: A in French, A in English Language, B in psychology (retaking to get to an A) and B in English Literature (dropped)
Predicted: ABB (my predictions are lower than my AS results...wtf?! lol )
AHHH really want to get some offers! :frown: :smile: How long has the period been between sending off your application and receiving offers/rejections for everyone?

Hey I'm just like you - really want to go to exeter - I see you've gone for arabic and persian as well! I sent mine of on monday evening have since had 3 acknowledgments from exeter! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by brownie94
Hey I'm just like you - really want to go to exeter - I see you've gone for arabic and persian as well! I sent mine of on monday evening have since had 3 acknowledgments from exeter! :smile:

3 Acknowledgments just from Exeter?! HAha! I've had acknowledgments from all but Leeds! What are you applying for and where? :smile:
Reply 10
3 Acknowledgments just from Exeter?! HAha! I've had acknowledgments from all but Leeds! What are you applying for and where? :smile:

Yes haha - I've gone for ;

Arabic and Persian - University of Exeter
Politics and Arabic - University of Exeter - AAB-ABB
Arabic & Middle East Studies -University of Exeter - ABB-BBB
Arabic and Politics - University of Leeds - ABB
Politics and Arabic - University of Salford - 280 points

Were you at the Exeter open day in September?
Reply 11
Yes haha - I've gone for ;

Arabic and Persian - University of Exeter
Politics and Arabic - University of Exeter - AAB-ABB
Arabic & Middle East Studies -University of Exeter - ABB-BBB
Arabic and Politics - University of Leeds - ABB
Politics and Arabic - University of Salford - 280 points

Were you at the Exeter open day in September?

Ah right cool . Yeah really want offers RIGHT NOW! haha!
Yeah I was I went to the one in June as well, I was showing it to my mum though in September . :smile: Were you?
I'm applying for Arabic at Oxford or Durham or Edinburgh (2013 entry) but I don't want to just do Arabic :/ I was thinking maybe law too? But alas, my schools very uninformative about universities. Is it possible to do a joint honours in law and Arabic ? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
I'm applying for Arabic at Oxford or Durham or Edinburgh (2013 entry) but I don't want to just do Arabic :/ I was thinking maybe law too? But alas, my schools very uninformative about universities. Is it possible to do a joint honours in law and Arabic ? :smile:

Not at Oxford I don't think, but other Unis should do combined honours arts degrees, I know Durham does.
Reply 14
Halla!
Original post by J.tytler
Not at Oxford I don't think, but other Unis should do combined honours arts degrees, I know Durham does.

That's great! thanks very much :biggrin:
Reply 16
Ah right cool . Yeah really want offers RIGHT NOW! haha!
Yeah I was I went to the one in June as well, I was showing it to my mum though in September . :smile: Were you?

Yep - I was there - loved the whole arabic and Islamic studies building! I guess we probably saw each other at some point !lol

Have you done any reading on the subject?
Reply 17
Yep - I was there - loved the whole arabic and Islamic studies building! I guess we probably saw each other at some point !lol

Have you done any reading on the subject?

Yeah probably! Haha. It's so amazing isn't it! I could live there haha :P It's so light and so...Arabic! :P
Urm just a few autobiographies and keeping up to date with current affairs and stuff. And some Persian poetry :smile: You?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Yeah probably! Haha. It's so amazing isn't it! I could live there haha :P It's so light and so...Arabic! :P
Urm just a few autobiographies and keeping up to date with current affairs and stuff. And some Persian poetry :smile: You?

Have you read Blood and Sand by Frank Gardner?
Reply 19
Have you read Blood and Sand by Frank Gardner?

Yeah of course :P Lol I absolutely LOVE IT! Reading Far Horizons at the moment :smile: Have you? What else have you read?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending