The Student Room Group

Official Arabic/Middle Eastern Applicants 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by brownie94
God i'm not actually sure - should probably look into it ahaha (embarrassed). Sorry to keeping going back to it but goddd blooody exeter - What are they up to?!!

Hahaa yeah you probs should lol. Lucky you didn't go there in December last year! When everything was kicking off! Lol. I know...so frustrating! Arabic is hardly a huge department :/
Reply 61
Original post by Please Register
just out of interest how many are muslims here?

Haha . I'm not..
Reply 62

me neither
I'm an Arabic applicant but I'm not doing UCAS since I'm applying to only American colleges/unis... may I still monitor this thread?:h:

Also, best of luck with your offers!
Original post by Marina72

Original post by Marina72
Haha . I'm not..

Ok. Can I ask your motivation for learning Arabic?

I'm just curious sorry. Ignore me if you want.
Ok. Can I ask your motivation for learning Arabic?

I'm just curious sorry. Ignore me if you want.

I'm also not religious, but there are plenty of secular reasons for wanting to learn Arabic. It's really quite a rewarding language from an exotic, yet nonetheless widespread culture.

The food:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The architecture:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The people:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The literature:

Spoiler

Oh, did I post that? I meant this... :sexface:

Spoiler

Reply 66
ah yeah ive been to oman a few times and morocco once, i literally loved them both so much!! oman made me want to learn arabic - except omani arabic accents are quite unattractive haha

I just sent my application off today for Middle Eastern studies at Exeter. I've lived in Oman for 3 years (best years of my life) did you find your visits a great topic to mention in your personal statement?
Reply 67
Original post by ziggy246

I just sent my application off today for Middle Eastern studies at Exeter. I've lived in Oman for 3 years (best years of my life) did you find your visits a great topic to mention in your personal statement?

Did you live in muscat? Yeah I mentioned it but mostly talked about other stuff like books I read... Oman is like my life.
Reply 68

not mee
Reply 69
Original post by chloew94
Did you live in muscat? Yeah I mentioned it but mostly talked about other stuff like books I read... Oman is like my life.

Yes my dad was in the navy. After 3 years we came back to the UK and my dad stayed and got a job with Oman Sail. I go out and visit him twice a year which keeps me sane lol :smile:. Ye i mentioned some Arab poetry I've read. ''Oman is like my life'' its so good to hear someone say that. Most people I meet think it's weird I have such an attachment to a country.
Reply 70
Yes my dad was in the navy. After 3 years we came back to the UK and my dad stayed and got a job with Oman Sail. I go out and visit him twice a year which keeps me sane lol :smile:. Ye i mentioned some Arab poetry I've read. ''Oman is like my life'' its so good to hear someone say that. Most people I meet think it's weird I have such an attachment to a country.

have you been anywhere else in the middle east? might go to jordan this summer which would be pretty exciting! yeah i read an arabic book in translation, a book about muhammad and some persian poetry (didnt realise it was persian..)
Reply 71
have you been anywhere else in the middle east? might go to jordan this summer which would be pretty exciting! yeah i read an arabic book in translation, a book about muhammad and some persian poetry (didnt realise it was persian..)

I've been to Qatar and Dubai but that's about it. Ye I was thinking of spending my summer in Nizwa catching up with some old friends, but if i get some money together I might spend a week or 2 in Beirut or Jordan.
Reply 72
I've been to Qatar and Dubai but that's about it. Ye I was thinking of spending my summer in Nizwa catching up with some old friends, but if i get some money together I might spend a week or 2 in Beirut or Jordan.

haha nizwa! I went there for the day this summer! my family drove down there by ourselves and everyone at our hotel was really worried we'd like die or something because they werent used to people leaving the hotel....
Reply 73
haha nizwa! I went there for the day this summer! my family drove down there by ourselves and everyone at our hotel was really worried we'd like die or something because they werent used to people leaving the hotel....

Hahahaha oh god that's so true, which hotel did u stay in?. My dad was working on the Shangri la resort so we hung out by the pool for the day. Most of the people had been in the country for 3 weeks and not left the hotel.
Reply 74
Hahahaha oh god that's so true, which hotel did u stay in?. My dad was working on the Shangri la resort so we hung out by the pool for the day. Most of the people had been in the country for 3 weeks and not left the hotel.

yep was the shangri la! we went into town most days as its generally a bit more exciting than doing nothing by a pool!!
Reply 75
yep was the shangri la! we went into town most days as its generally a bit more exciting than doing nothing by a pool!!

that's very true there's so many interesting things to do i don't know why people just sit around :smile:. Did you visit Nizwa on a Friday?
Reply 76
that's very true there's so many interesting things to do i don't know why people just sit around :smile:. Did you visit Nizwa on a Friday?

cant say i remember - probably not!! should i have..?
Reply 77
cant say i remember - probably not!! should i have..?

well if you ever have the chance to revisit Nizwa i recommend going on a Friday. I went last summer on a Friday without realising that it was market day. Famers from the surrounding area gather in the center of the town to sell livestock. It's a hilarious sight to watch hundreds of small Omani children battle with stubborn goats and cattle who don't want to be sold.
Original post by I Kant Spall
I'm an Arabic applicant but I'm not doing UCAS since I'm applying to only American colleges/unis... may I still monitor this thread?:h:

Also, best of luck with your offers!

well, I guess I'm eating my words. in about a week I decided on my choices (see below), wrote a personal statement (PM if you're interested in seeing it), and sent it in.

Edinburgh - Arabic and Persian (T621)
Leeds - Arabic and Japanese (TT62)
Manchester - Middle Eastern Languages (Arabic and Persian) (T608)
SOAS - Arabic and Persian (T621)
St. Andrews - Arabic & Middle East Studies (T621)
May I advise very strongly that no one bothers with Persian at the moment at any British university, for the following reasons:

1. The year abroad is usually compulsory
2. The only realistic place to practise Persian on a year abroad is Iran
3. Universities will not allow students to spend a year abroad in a country that the Foreign Offices advises against visiting, which it does in the case of Iran
4. If you are unable to spend the compulsory (but impossible) year abroad in Iran, there is no guarantee that the university will allow you to switch to another subject.

Kafkaesque, I know, but that's the way the British university system works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending