The Student Room Group

Official Arabic/Middle Eastern Applicants 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by MWM
I couldn't fine anywhere else to post this but I have a question on the Arabic language.

What is the difference between:
كتابالله
and
هزلكتب للله
Just wondering whether there is a difference, do they have different meanings, they are used in different ways and so on..
help would be much appreciated.

Are you trying to say the book of allah (كتاب الله) ? if so its called the quran (القرآن)

Not sure if that helps, message me if you need more help im currently living in Dubai so i have basic understanding of the arabic language prior to starting my course.
Reply 161
Original post by jonpod
applying for french and arabic
offers from leeds, exeter and manchester

struggling to decide between leeds and exeter for my top choice. Can anyone give me some advice? I think exeter would be a better choice academically but would love the fun of being in a big city like leeds... :/

Cheers

Go for Exeter - yes it's smaller but the night life will be what you make of it. you can go out as little or as much as you want. Don't worry about exeter being small!
Manchester- Turkish and Arabic- interviewed
Birkbeck- LLB- unconditional
SOAS- Turkish and Persian- unconditional
SOAS- Turkish- unconditional
SOAS- Persian- unconditional
Reply 163
Anyone applying for Middle Eastern studies and/or Arabic at university in 2013? I am applying to:

Oxford- Arabic and Islamic studies

Exeter- Arabic and Islamic studies

Edinburgh- Arabic and Politics

St Andrews- Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies

Manchester- Arabic studies
Original post by maxy123
Anyone applying for Middle Eastern studies and/or Arabic at university in 2013? I am applying to:

I'm applying to all the same as you apart from Durham instead of Edinburgh
Reply 165
13farqu do you have any prior knowledge of Arabic?
Original post by maxy123

None at all. I currently study Spanish and French, so I do other languages. Do you have any prior knowledge?
Original post by maxy123

Have you got any offers yet?
Original post by maxy123

Original post by 13rfarqu
None at all. I currently study Spanish and French, so I do other languages. Do you have any prior knowledge?

There's a thread for your year right here. This one is a bit old.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 169
same, I don't have any knowledge of Arabic. No offers yet either. What made you want to study Arabic?
I just think it's a really interesting part of the world and the job prospects aren't bad either.
I've got an offer from Exeter and interview from Manchester.
Reply 171
Exeter sounds really good. What offer did you get from them?
Original post by maxy123
Exeter sounds really good. What offer did you get from them?

AAB. Yeah, the course looks amazing.
Reply 173
Are you applying for Arabic and Islamic studies?
Original post by maxy123
Are you applying for Arabic and Islamic studies?

Just straight Arabic to Exeter but combined with Islamic studies to Oxford.
Reply 175
I've applied for Middle Eastern Studies 2013 at:

Leeds
Manchester
Exeter
SOAS

Leeds is the uni I really want to get in to! The course looks amazing and really interesting, the diversity of student societies and clubs at the uni seems it will really help aswell, i.e. Arabic society, Islamic Society, Middle Eastern society etc etc :smile:
Original post by FreeGaza
I've applied for Middle Eastern Studies 2013 at:

Leeds
Manchester
Exeter
SOAS

Leeds is the uni I really want to get in to! The course looks amazing and really interesting, the diversity of student societies and clubs at the uni seems it will really help aswell, i.e. Arabic society, Islamic Society, Middle Eastern society etc etc :smile:

Do they still send students abroad in their second year at uni? It's sounds like a good idea, but be careful because you've had less exposure to the language, so you end up improving a bit less than if you went in your 3rd year (like you don't necessarily recognise patterns and recurrent things in the language because you've only been learning for a year, etc.)

I was abroad with people from Exeter, which does that, and I don't think they got as much out of their year abroad as other students from various unis did.
Reply 177
Original post by Anatheme
Do they still send students abroad in their second year at uni? It's sounds like a good idea, but be careful because you've had less exposure to the language, so you end up improving a bit less than if you went in your 3rd year (like you don't necessarily recognise patterns and recurrent things in the language because you've only been learning for a year, etc.)

I was abroad with people from Exeter, which does that, and I don't think they got as much out of their year abroad as other students from various unis did.

Yeah only if you applied for Arabic and Middle Eastern studies at Leeds, they would send students to either Morocco or Egypt for their second year. Ohh don't you think? I'm Moroccan myself but I'm not even a beginner at Arabic so i thought I wouldnt risk it. I'd rather learn basics for now which would be an optional module for the Middle Eastern Studies by itself :smile:
Original post by maxy123

Firmed Manchester for Middle Eastern studies but thinking about adding Arabic to the degree :rolleyes:
Original post by ConfusedLam
Firmed Manchester for Middle Eastern studies but thinking about adding Arabic to the degree :rolleyes:

I declined Manchester for Arabic and Modern Middle Eastern History. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending