Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR A Chemistry F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Thu 26 Jan 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank youu!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I can't find the markscheme though?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suadjama)
    Thanks! I can't find the markscheme though?
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...mDsflw&cad=rja

• 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kickasskaz01)
    same!
    Post the one you hate the most! might be able to help you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is so awesome
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips on Chemistry revision? how to revise efficiently etc?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out here? I'm currently revising Spectroscopy and I'm on spin spin coupling in proton NMR. Do we have to know why and how it occurs or do we just have to know how to interpret the splitting patterns?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ we need to know how to interpret the splitting pattern e.g n+1 rule
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alybot)
    Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out here? I'm currently revising Spectroscopy and I'm on spin spin coupling in proton NMR. Do we have to know why and how it occurs or do we just have to know how to interpret the splitting patterns?
    Just how to interpret it ..however if you do end up learning it please teach me a bit
    My teacher just skipped it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love this unit at the moment! It seems so simple and logical!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got advice on how to tackle the questions which ask you to compare benzene, cyclohexene and phenol where do I start?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindizya)
    Has anyone got advice on how to tackle the questions which ask you to compare benzene, cyclohexene and phenol where do I start?
    I start with their basic features e.g.
    benzene has delocalised electrons spread across 6 carbon atoms
    cyclohexene has localised electrons between two carbon atoms
    phenol has lone pair of electron on O atom that is drawn into ring and activates it.

Then compare electron densities:
    phenol and cyclohexene have higher electron densities than benzene.

So what does this mean?
    phenol and cyclohexene have sufficient electron density to induce dipoles in halogens e.g-bromine.
    benzene does not have a high enough e.d to polarise bromine.

Hope this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^thank you that helps a lot
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any advice for those odd 1 mark impurities questions?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Has anyone got any advice for those odd 1 mark impurities questions?
    You mean recrystallisation I guess..Well if thats what you mean I only have memorised it and have no idea how its done whatsoever
    Anyhow, type out the question so people know what you are asking
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    You mean recrystallisation I guess..Well if thats what you mean I only have memorised it and have no idea how its done whatsoever
    Question 5bii on here http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10...n_gce_f324.pdf
    Apparently the answer is HO-CH2-CH2-NH-CH2-CH2-OH and I can see its a double substitution of epoxyethane with NH3.
    Then there was 5bii on here http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10...n_gce_f324.pdf.
    But after having done them again, I've realised that the NH2 or NH3 group has multiple hydrogens substituted.

So in case anyone else is interested, impurities=multiple substitution of NH group.
    Thanks anyway though
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask which past papers are you doing? There's only been like 4 for our spec so far, but there used to be chains, rings and spectroscopy papers. Do you know where I can get these from?
    Thanks a lot
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Question 5bii on here http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10...n_gce_f324.pdf
    Apparently the answer is HO-CH2-CH2-NH-CH2-CH2-OH and I can see its a double substitution of epoxyethane with NH3.
    Then there was 5bii on here http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10...n_gce_f324.pdf.
    But after having done them again, I've realised that the NH2 or NH3 group has multiple hydrogens substituted.

So in case anyone else is interested, impurities=multiple substitution of NH group.
    Thanks anyway though
    Just looked at the first one.. the fact that you see its a double substitution its a lot to be happy for
    I mean that question is the most demanding question on the paper..I would love to see if anyone can come up with some tips for that!
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at the first one.. the fact that you see its a double substitution its a lot to be happy for
    I mean that question is the most demanding question on the paper..I would love to see if anyone can come up with some tips for that!
    Yeah, both of those were some form of double substitution. I think for "impurity" questions, this could be some pattern. Always look for a double sub maybe?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, both of those were some form of double substitution. I think for "impurity" questions, this could be some pattern. Always look for a double sub maybe?
    I dont why you like saying impurities instead of saying bi-product !! Still havent looked at 2nd one just cuz you say its the same.
    double sub?! yes (if its the right term to use for further substitution )
    I would say why not! so you think its gonna come up with the same pattern

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.