The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Thu 26 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arvin_infinity

Original post by arvin_infinity
I cant be bothered to do it ..but you do know bradys' reagent and 2,4 DNPH are not the same thing!

I mean 2,4 DNPH in a mixture of methanol and h2so4 is known as bradys' reagent. :colone:

I've just noticed you're the guy that messaged me a few weeks ago to see If I've got any A* tips for biology :smile:
So are you resitting f215 or something?
Reply 101
is everyone else just doing past papers over and over again? is that what i should do until the exams to understand it more?? should i do the same for the A2 biology as well?? what do u do leading up 2 the exams?? pleasse someone tell me! thanks x
Original post by Raj K
is everyone else just doing past papers over and over again? is that what i should do until the exams to understand it more?? should i do the same for the A2 biology as well?? what do u do leading up 2 the exams?? pleasse someone tell me! thanks x

what i've done is memorise as much as I can from the knowledge we all need to know and then after that's done, move onto past papers and questions in the book. you can to the papers maybe once or twice over but make sure that you do them with some time apart so that you're actually practising, rather than memorising the answers because that's the only danger - that you might end up tricking yourself into thinking you got say, an A* on a paper due to the fact you know it all but that might not be the case, could just be because you memorised it.

Instead, to avoid that happening, try and get hold of the Legacy papers. In chemistry, these are fairly similar but I think with Biology, they're not really so i've avoided them. But there's soo many for chemistry that you could do them almost everyday and not run out too quickly - they go back to about 2002 I think (well, that's what I got from my school anyway)

:biggrin:
Original post by Jenniferann232

Original post by Jenniferann232
what i've done is memorise as much as I can from the knowledge we all need to know and then after that's done, move onto past papers and questions in the book. you can to the papers maybe once or twice over but make sure that you do them with some time apart so that you're actually practising, rather than memorising the answers because that's the only danger - that you might end up tricking yourself into thinking you got say, an A* on a paper due to the fact you know it all but that might not be the case, could just be because you memorised it.

Instead, to avoid that happening, try and get hold of the Legacy papers. In chemistry, these are fairly similar but I think with Biology, they're not really so i've avoided them. But there's soo many for chemistry that you could do them almost everyday and not run out too quickly - they go back to about 2002 I think (well, that's what I got from my school anyway)

:biggrin:

I do the legacy papers as well, are they called chains, rings and spectroscopy?
Reply 104
thanks so much for your help..yeah i have got the papers since 2002 ..but i've already written in them ..so thatz why i was wondering do i just keep going through them again and again..and do u just memorise for biology..i find some of the exam questions kinda tricky :/ even though ive learnt everything!! so say if u get stuck on a question u go back to revising it? ..but i bet i'll get questions wrong in the real exam ): because they word it so differently and the mark schemes r pretty strict on their answers!
Reply 105
Original post by areebmazhar
I do the legacy papers as well, are they called chains, rings and spectroscopy?

yep (:
Original post by Raj K

Original post by Raj K
yep (:

Thanks, just hoping that I was doing the right ones :smile:
(And your smiley faces are so weird :biggrin:)
Reply 107
Thanks, just hoping that I was doing the right ones :smile:
(And your smiley faces are so weird :biggrin:)

loool if you say so x
Seeing as I'm on a gap year before uni - I thought I'd try and offer you guys some advice with chemistry.

OCR Chemistry can be a bitch - the questions can be incredibly vague, and one of the greatest things that can go against you is time. I worked really hard at AS and only managed a B, but I learnt how to focus my revision and got a solid A at A2.

First things first - use the Heinemann Book (the big one) to write your notes - it's the most detailed source (some content is excessive) but what you'll find is that OCR can sneak in a cheeky 1 or 2 marker, so it's best to try know as much detail as you can - but most importantly seek to understand the stuff, go to your teachers/ask on here, just ask somebody who knows how to explain concepts you're not comfortable with.
The exam will test your knowledge of the application of these concepts - it's no longer re-call.

Now for some tangible help:

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-A2-Chemistry-Polymers-Analysis/dp/0340957581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324906659&sr=8-1

These books are available for all the units. It's not the best book you are going to find - it's a revision guide (key difference) there is stuff in there which you will not find in any other book, which may creep up in the exam (again - remember it's application.) There is also some stuff covered in this revision guide, not in that much detail - so you have to use other sources. The reason why I recommend this book is because of it's simplicity - great before exams, and also they have a mock exam paper at the back, answered by two separate candidates, one A grade, the other C grade. An examiner then scrutinises their answers and explains why either they got the marks or didn't and alternative approaches to the questions.

2. Forget the CGP guide, unless you want to scrape a C - there is really no depth.

3. Possibly the best source I can give you:

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%204/Unit%204%20resources.html

This teacher has gone through all the legacy papers, and sorted them out into seperate papers. There are entire papers on 'Arenes' 'Carbonyls' 'Organic Synthesis' 'Chromatography and Spectroscopy' ect. They are absolutely amazing - arguably the reason I did so well at A2. The best way to maximise the effects of the paper is to read over a section, and then complete the papers on it to consolidate the information. Also; OCR can be lazy at times, and you will find sometimes they may well use an entire question from the legacy papers in your exam - they did it once (i can't remember which one though, but I was shocked in my exam to find 10 marks worth of a question I answered the day before)

4. Sometimes Chemistry is about maturity, if you don't do that well in Jan12 - resit for Jun12. I re-sat all 6 units of chemistry during my final sitting of A-levels in the summer. It wasn't particularly fun, but you gotta do what you gotta do. You'll find being slightly older, allows you to mature to the concepts and the time allows you to really let them sink in.

5. (This is more the F325: Equilibria, Energetics ect - this book is a god-send with calculations:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calculations-Level-Chemistry-Jim-Clark/dp/0582411270/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324907615&sr=1-3

In order to really practice the tricky maths that may come up - the author 'Jim Clark' really goes into depth as to how to identify & tackle the worst problems that may possibly come up (ideal for A or A* grades) . It's also useful for F322 if you are re-sitting, but you really should get it for the bigger unit - it is definitely money well spent.

6. Organise your revision and most importantly - relax and know if you put the work in, you will get the results out. It is very challenging - but I proved it is certainly do-able.

I sincerely wish you all the best.
Reply 109
Original post by fallenangel
Seeing as I'm on a gap year before uni - I thought I'd try and offer you guys some advice with chemistry.

OCR Chemistry can be a bitch - the questions can be incredibly vague, and one of the greatest things that can go against you is time. I worked really hard at AS and only managed a B, but I learnt how to focus my revision and got a solid A at A2.

First things first - use the Heinemann Book (the big one) to write your notes - it's the most detailed source (some content is excessive) but what you'll find is that OCR can sneak in a cheeky 1 or 2 marker, so it's best to try know as much detail as you can - but most importantly seek to understand the stuff, go to your teachers/ask on here, just ask somebody who knows how to explain concepts you're not comfortable with.
The exam will test your knowledge of the application of these concepts - it's no longer re-call.

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-A2-Chemistry-Polymers-Analysis/dp/0340957581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324906659&sr=8-1

These books are available for all the units. It's not the best book you are going to find - it's a revision guide (key difference) there is stuff in there which you will not find in any other book, which may creep up in the exam (again - remember it's application.) There is also some stuff covered in this revision guide, not in that much detail - so you have to use other sources. The reason why I recommend this book is because of it's simplicity - great before exams, and also they have a mock exam paper at the back, answered by two separate candidates, one A grade, the other C grade. An examiner then scrutinises their answers and explains why either they got the marks or didn't and alternative approaches to the questions.

2. Forget the CGP guide, unless you want to scrape a C - there is really no depth.

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%204/Unit%204%20resources.html

This teacher has gone through all the legacy papers, and sorted them out into seperate papers. There are entire papers on 'Arenes' 'Carbonyls' 'Organic Synthesis' 'Chromatography and Spectroscopy' ect. They are absolutely amazing - arguably the reason I did so well at A2. The best way to maximise the effects of the paper is to read over a section, and then complete the papers on it to consolidate the information. Also; OCR can be lazy at times, and you will find sometimes they may well use an entire question from the legacy papers in your exam - they did it once (i can't remember which one though, but I was shocked in my exam to find 10 marks worth of a question I answered the day before)

4. Sometimes Chemistry is about maturity, if you don't do that well in Jan12 - resit for Jun12. I re-sat all 6 units of chemistry during my final sitting of A-levels in the summer. It wasn't particularly fun, but you gotta do what you gotta do. You'll find being slightly older, allows you to mature to the concepts and the time allows you to really let them sink in.

5. (This is more the F325: Equilibria, Energetics ect - this book is a god-send with calculations:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calculations-Level-Chemistry-Jim-Clark/dp/0582411270/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324907615&sr=1-3

In order to really practice the tricky maths that may come up - the author 'Jim Clark' really goes into depth as to how to identify & tackle the worst problems that may possibly come up (ideal for A or A* grades) . It's also useful for F322 if you are re-sitting, but you really should get it for the bigger unit - it is definitely money well spent.

6. Organise your revision and most importantly - relax and know if you put the work in, you will get the results out. It is very challenging - but I proved it is certainly do-able.

wow thank you so so much! 6 units in the summer? u must have got sick of chemistry!!! lol did u do biology?? did u memorise and do many past papers? thankuu!

Thanks, this was really helpful :smile:
Reply 111

i really want an A IN chemistry is there anything else u did? u r so clever wish i was uuuu whatz ur star sign if u dont mind me asking u'll probz think im stupid bt someone told me it depends also on ur star sign on whether ur clever?? do u think that's true?? im a cancer..wish i wasnt ):
Original post by Raj K

Original post by Raj K
i really want an A IN chemistry is there anything else u did? u r so clever wish i was uuuu whatz ur star sign if u dont mind me asking u'll probz think im stupid bt someone told me it depends also on ur star sign on whether ur clever?? do u think that's true?? im a cancer..wish i wasnt ):

Bro, star signs don't mean **** when it comes to revision. Lol, its all rubbish. I'm sure you'll do well, regardless of start signs :smile:
Reply 113
Bro, star signs don't mean **** when it comes to revision. Lol, its all rubbish. I'm sure you'll do well, regardless of start signs :smile:

lol u sure?????? ok thatz made me feel better noooo im not a psychoo lol. :tongue:
Thanks, this was really helpful :smile:

No worries brutha :wink:

Original post by Raj K

Lol nah bro - I'd put it more down to hard work & faith. In my opinion basing inteligence/results on star-signs is abit far-fetched. Just put the effort in - and you will hopefully see the results.
Reply 115
No worries brutha :wink:

Lol nah bro - I'd put it more down to hard work & faith. In my opinion basing inteligence/results on star-signs is abit far-fetched. Just put the effort in - and you will hopefully see the results.

thanks for the motivation but can i still knw what urz is lol :biggrin:
Reply 116
Hey can someone explain zwitterions and all the stuff related to that with the ph's I always get it confused
Original post by Lindizya

Original post by Lindizya
Hey can someone explain zwitterions and all the stuff related to that with the ph's I always get it confused

So at a special pH called the isoelectric point, the amino acid becomes a zwitter ion. E.g. NH2CH2COOH becomes NH3+CH2COO- . As NH2 is a base (proton acceptor) and COOH is a weak acid (proton donor) and they are in the same molecule (amino acid), the NH2 accepts a H+ from COOH, resulting in NH3B and COO-.

If PH is below isoelectric point (acidic relatively) there are more H+, these bind to COO- to form COOH. Resulting in NH3+CH2COOH.

If pH above isoelectric point (alkaline relatively) then more OH- ions, which take a H+ from NH3+ to form water and NH2. so this new mol. Is NH2CH2COO-. And if the alkali was NaOH for example, the Na+ binds to the COO- making NH2CH2COO-Na+.

Hope this made sense
(edited 12 years ago)
just thought i would post a good site for chemistry flashcards its helped me a lot in revision

http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/view/944334

hope this helps :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by BrightStar57

Original post by BrightStar57
just thought i would post a good site for chemistry flashcards its helped me a lot in revision

http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/view/944334

hope this helps :smile::smile::smile:

Thanks, there really good for those one or two markers you get in the exams, such as "state a use of GC-MS"
Did you make these by the way?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending