The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Thu 26 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by fudgesundae
Im hoping the grade boundaries will be quite low to make up for my silly mistakes :tongue:

A couple of times I have seen that 100% UMS is around the 53-56 range.

I really dont think so.
If you check the ocr grade boundies 100% is always full marks.
(please prove me wrong xD)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_60650_admin_units_at_a2_june_11.pdf

Im hoping the grade boundaries will be quite low to make up for my silly mistakes :tongue:

A couple of times I have seen that 100% UMS is around the 53-56 range.

Yeah the last paper I did had ums boundary of 54 for 100 ums, it would be really nice to get full ums. Although if not I might do better in the June exam, it seems more mathematical and less description etc :smile:
Original post by 3.141

Original post by 3.141
I really dont think so.
If you check the ocr grade boundies 100% is always full marks.
(please prove me wrong xD)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_60650_admin_units_at_a2_june_11.pdf

Lol, no 44 is an A, difference between an A and a B is 5 marks. 44 raw marks =80%ums. 44+5+5=54 or 80% + 10% +10%=100ums. So any mark between 54 and 60 is full ums :biggrin:
Reply 163
Original post by areebmazhar
Lol, no 44 is an A, difference between an A and a B is 5 marks. 44 raw marks =80%ums. 44+5+5=54 or 80% + 10% +10%=100ums. So any mark between 54 and 60 is full ums :biggrin:

Isn't this paper out of 90ums? At least that is what it was last year
Original post by eliteDNA

Original post by eliteDNA
Isn't this paper out of 90ums? At least that is what it was last year

Yeah, I just put it in terms of % to simplify it :smile:
Reply 165

But if you look at the max mark column it says Raw: 60 UMS: 90
Unless im going crazy and just reading it wrong.
Reply 166
Original post by NewCrack
They are nucleophiles I swear it! :confused:

well CN CN^- is the nucleophile i think

yeah ur right sorry about that!! i was jus thinkin about this particular question in the old paper.. but yeah they r nucleophiles so they can come up!
Reply 167
same man!!...i lose silly easy marks all the time ..i need to open my bloody eyes when i do this paper loool
Original post by 3.141

Original post by 3.141
But if you look at the max mark column it says Raw: 60 UMS: 90
Unless im going crazy and just reading it wrong.

Yeah, 60 marks will get you 90 ums but so will 54. I can't really explain it well but trust me when I say 56 marks or more will get you 90ums. Theres a 5 mark gap between each grade i.e 39=63 ums(B) 44=72 ums (A) 49=81ums (A*) and then by deducing you can work out 54=100 ums.
I know what you mean, I knew all the content but still kept losing silly marks. My marks have been 49, 53 and recently 56. I usually misread the question and lose marks or sometimes the stretch and challenge questions I lose marks

How are you lot revising btw?

I've already done all the past papers for this specification, so not really sure on what to do next.

My marks were fairly average for the paper (around 40 give or take)

What do you suggest - quoting you because of the high marks your getting lool :smile:
Original post by jmillslittle

How are you lot revising btw?

I've already done all the past papers for this specification, so not really sure on what to do next.

My marks were fairly average for the paper (around 40 give or take)

What do you suggest - quoting you because of the high marks your getting lool :smile:

Haha, no problem. Firstly make sure you know every single definition, they are usually easy marks. Memorise the mark scheme answers for questions such as " describe the bonding in benzene" as specific points are usually required for the marks. Questions such as "suggest an impurity for the reaction" are common because candidates find these questions hard.
Check through examiners reports and get an idea of which questions the examiners say that candidates found hard, there's a good chance they'll repeat these questions.
Always read the full question so like me you don't make silly mistakes.
Old spec papers may help but the format of the exams is different so don't get too hooked on them.
Because OCR are moving towards "application of science" questions you have to prepare for these. They can dress these questions up, by putting lots of different functional groups or bonds or complex polymers but at the end of they day they can only ask what you know. So try to simplify these difficult looking questions.

Sorry I can't be any more specific.
Hope it helps anyway :smile:
Reply 171
Yeah, 60 marks will get you 90 ums but so will 54. I can't really explain it well but trust me when I say 56 marks or more will get you 90ums. Theres a 5 mark gap between each grade i.e 39=63 ums(B) 44=72 ums (A) 49=81ums (A*) and then by deducing you can work out 54=100 ums.

You explained it well!
I like OCR a lot more now.
Original post by 3.141

Original post by 3.141
You explained it well!
I like OCR a lot more now.

No problem. OCR is the best!
Haha, no problem. Firstly make sure you know every single definition, they are usually easy marks. Memorise the mark scheme answers for questions such as " describe the bonding in benzene" as specific points are usually required for the marks. Questions such as "suggest an impurity for the reaction" are common because candidates find these questions hard.
Check through examiners reports and get an idea of which questions the examiners say that candidates found hard, there's a good chance they'll repeat these questions.
Always read the full question so like me you don't make silly mistakes.
Old spec papers may help but the format of the exams is different so don't get too hooked on them.
Because OCR are moving towards "application of science" questions you have to prepare for these. They can dress these questions up, by putting lots of different functional groups or bonds or complex polymers but at the end of they day they can only ask what you know. So try to simplify these difficult looking questions.

Sorry I can't be any more specific.
Hope it helps anyway :smile:

Nah thanks a lot that's great advice.

I wasn't too sure whether to start on the old spec papers, but I think my time will be better spent going over the past papers/ stretch and challenge/ reports.

Thanks!

How long did it take you in terms of revision to get that 56/60 mark, was it a first attempt or what? (bit nosy :tongue:)

Nah thanks a lot that's great advice.

I wasn't too sure whether to start on the old spec papers, but I think my time will be better spent going over the past papers/ stretch and challenge/ reports.

Thanks!

How long did it take you in terms of revision to get that 56/60 mark, was it a first attempt or what? (bit nosy :tongue:)

I had revised all the content and it was my third proper mock, so still did a fair amount of work for it :biggrin:
F324 just tests how many stupid mistakes you can make in 1hr 15mins
Reply 176
Good luck guys with this paper! :smile:
Dont stress, read the question properly, make sure your not just using that OCR book for your revision- its way too simplified. Memorise mark schemes and analyse the way they want you to answer the questions.. and ofcourse learn your content inside out.
Feel free to ask any questions etc :smile: x
Original post by Rosi M

Original post by Rosi M
Dont stress, read the question properly, make sure your not just using that OCR book for your revision- its way too simplified. Memorise mark schemes and analyse the way they want you to answer the questions.. and ofcourse learn your content inside out.

Do you mean the thick heinemann ocr textbook or the thinner "revise" version?
Original post by Rosi M

Original post by Rosi M

And sorry to be nosy but how did you do on this paper? :smile:
Reply 179
i keep losing silly marks its frustrating in the jan 2010 paper i got 42/60, for example when it comes to drawing the structures of 3 stereoisomers of isoleucine. mainly questions like that i lose marks anyone got advice on how to tackle this problem?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending